items in vault somehow "invisible"

macbroccoli
macbroccoli
Community Member

Hi 1P Support,
I had a very weird issue in syncing my vault between iPhone x.12 and mac book
It was working fine until today but suddenly I cannot see anymore my items in the vault. I see the total of items per category but no details

I save all my vaults in 1.pif format so I can delete everything needed.
Could you please advise?
Tx
Gianni

Macbook with iOS El Capitan and 1P 6.7 - iCloud drive activated
iPhone 8 running 1p 7.3 with pro functions - iCloud drive disconnected due to sync issue
iPad iOS 12.2 - iCloud drive disconnected due to sync issue

1Password Version: 6.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:items in vault not shown

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @macbroccoli! I'm sorry for the trouble. There are a few things about your post that need attention, so let's go through them one-by-one:

First, your data. You say "It was working fine until today but suddenly I cannot see anymore my items in the vault." -- did anything change? Did you add or alter any security or network software on your Mac at around this same time? Anything else you can think of? Have you restarted your Mac since the problem began? If not, please try that before anything else.

You say you "save all your vaults in .1pif format," and I have to ask: why? Do you mean you did this in anticipation of speaking with us? Or that you regularly save your data in .1pif format? If so, this is a very insecure practice, as .1pif exports are unencrypted and should not be kept around on your Mac for that reason.

You also say you're using 1Password for Mac version 6.7, which was released almost two years ago. I can understand someone possibly not having upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac yet...but the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac was 6.8.9 -- can I ask why you have not updated to that, since those updates would have been (and are) free to you?

You say your iOS devices are "disconnected due to sync issue," but you say it's your Mac where you're having the trouble? Can you clarify this, please? What kind of sync issue are you having - are you getting any error messages, and if so, can you take a screenshot of the message you see and post it in a reply here? Thanks.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but from just what you've posted so far, there are a number of things that don't make sense to me yet, and I'm not sure where to begin. Please let us know a) what the "sync issue" is, b) why you have not updated to 6.8.9 on your Mac, c) why you save vaults in .1pif format, anything else that recently changed around the time of this issue beginning. Thanks.

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Dear Lars,
    Thank you for your reply and questions. I am sorry to have not been extremely precise as I was a bit anxious in not seeing anymore my saved passwords on my MacBook.

Everything started when I realized that the vault on my iPhone (the most updated) was not syncing well with other devices (Mac and iPad) as I saw many discrepancies and missing lots of items. I rebooted all devices and the problem persisted.

I went to check the sync settings and I got the message that my iPhone was not synced with iCloud (!). I didn’t do anything of course to change that, so I was a bit perplex and then realized that Mac and iPad were synced well via iCloud but having different numbers of items (!).
    To be sure, I saved on 1.pif to have a “backup” just in case (I usually never do this as I rely on iCloud Drive and before that on Dropbox).

• I’ve updated 1P on my MacBook to 6.8.9 but the problem still persists. I cannot upgrade to 7 as my MacBook can’t support more than El Capitan.
    • On iPhone 1P version is 7.3
    • On iPad 1P version is 7.3

UPDATE: after a complete reboot on all 3 devices and disconnect and reconnect iCloud Drive as sync method: iPhone has the most updated vault.

now I got this:

• On iPhone/1P/Settings/Vaults, I see only 1 vault which name is Principal with 545 elements with Method of Sync: iCloud
    • On iPad/1P/Settings/Vaults, I see only 1 vault which name is Principal with 545 elements with Method of Sync: iCloud

but

• On Macbook: only 1 vault which name is Principal with 974 elements (!) and none of them are visible!
      I have only the little + for creating a new item.
      Method of Sync: iCloud

Hope it helps to understand what is the issue on the MacBook.

Best,
    Gianni

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbroccoli - thanks for the additional information. Have you ever had more than one iCloud account? Most people never need more than one, but some people forget the credentials for one, or they create a second one for whatever reason. Do you have more than one iCloud account? You can check in iCloud itself on each device to see which one is signed in, if you have more than one. If you know you've only ever had one, don't worry about checking this.

If the above is not the case, then I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#KPI-78326-189]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @macbroccoli only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: KPI-78326-189

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Dear Lars,

Thank you for this. No, I always had only one iCloud account.
    I am about to send the Diagnostics for all 3 devices.

Thank you in advance,
    MacBroccoli

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbroccoli - great, we'll look for them there. :) :+1:

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Thanks Lars.
    Nevertheless, I cannot send the iOS reports as my Gmail doesn't allow me to send it.
    I can't even save the report as an attachment. Any clue?

• @macbroccoli

Could you please post a screenshot (or screenshots) illustrating the problem?

▷ How to take a screenshot

I've sent a number of diagnostic reports from iOS using my Gmail account, so that seems a bit odd... Thanks. :)

Ben

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    I am using Spark email app as well as outlook for iOS. None accepted to send the report as the "send" button is inactive...
    That's weird

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbroccoli - the DR generation tool uses Apple Mail - because it's the one we know for sure every iOS device has installed on it already. Please set up your email account (ANY email account you have credentials for) in Apple Mail, and you'll be able to send the diagnostics report.

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Thank you Lars, I'll send it via Apple Mail then.

McB

• :+1:

Ben

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Ben /Lars,
    I sent both iPhone and iPad diagnostics in order to compare with MacBook.
    Thank you to both of you.
    McB

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll take a look and get back to you via email. :)

ref: KPI-78326-189

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Dear Support,
    Any news on my issue?
    Regards,
    Gianni

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

UPDATE

Dear Support,
    I solve the issue myself. I leave the simple procedure for anyone who may experience the same issue.

1. From the most accurate vault (on iPhone8) I used the iTunes File Sharing, copy on my MacBook the backup following your procedure available at https://support.1password.com/backups/
    2. Then restore the backup on the MacBook
    3. I did the same operation on the iPad
    4. My three devices are now exactly with the same vault items.

Best.
    Gianni

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbroccoli - yes. :)

• macbroccoli
    macbroccoli
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

I fixed the issue. I just receive your other procedure and will carefully keep it in case.
    Best
    Gianni

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbroccoli - congratulations! Glad to hear you were able to get everything figured out. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.