To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Really need to upgrade?

weissenberger
weissenberger
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Memberships

Hi, I'm using 1password for a couple of years, not that often though. I have it on my iMac (version 6) but mostly using it on IOS devices.
My IOS apps and iMac app is still working fine. It says the account is frozen, but I still can use it since several months. I can edit and create new items, sync is also working....
I did some research, but didn’t really find a reason / advantage when upgrading to 7 stand alone or subscription.

Am I not seeing something, or is my account somehow buggy so that I can still use it without issues? There is also no different IOS app, so no change there either, right?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @weissenberger! Welcome to the forum! :)

It says the account is frozen, but I still can use it since several months. I can edit and create new items, sync is also working....

If your 1Password account is frozen , you can still view all your items, copy your passwords, and even copy items to vaults outside your account. But you won't be able to add or edit any existing data.

Is it possible that you are actually using a standalone vault at the moment? What is the name of the vault that allows you to edit information?

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

Thanks for the fast reply.
    I don’t really know where to check if I'm using a standalone vault. On my ipad app it says „primary vault“, on the imac I currently can’t check.
    I just double checked and I can definitely add and edit.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @weissenberger.

On my ipad app it says „primary vault“,

This is a standalone vault then. It has nothing to do with your 1Password frozen accounts, which explains why you are still able to edit data there :)

Once you have the chance to check on your iMac, I suspect you will see the same thing there.

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

You are right, it's the same. But still, I don’t get it, what would then be an advantage for me to upgrade to v7 standalone or subscription?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@weissenberger:

Upgrading to v7 allows you to have the latest version of 1Password, with all the new features and security fixes which will not be developed for older versions. You can see the entire changelog here. In the original version 7.0 alone, there were more than a hundred between new features, fixes and improvements.

In general, being on the latest version is always going to give you the best experience.

But this is just one of the benefits of a 1Password Membership. In addition to allowing you to use the latest version of the 1Password app on every platform, it has many more features. It has been a far more popular choice and from the feedback we get, people prefer the ease that having a 1Password membership comes with (when it comes to things like managing backups, syncing, multi-device management etc.). You also don't need to think about managing and applying licenses ;)

Basically, everything is included with memberships. All the devices you need are included for free, sync happens automatically, backups are taken care of straight away, everything you would expect is there. You get storage for secured documents, item history, watchtower, travel mode, ease of sharing with your family, team or business should you want to upgrade from an individuals membership later on, and many others.

I hope this helps!

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

@ag_ana

It's really not meant badly and I appreciate your help, but this is a lot of marketing :-). I would like to focus on my situation and needs if you don't mind. I usually pay for upgrades and memberships, but I should at least see some improvements for ME, before I spend money, I guess you understand what I mean.

I don't need to share, secured documents, item history, travel mode, team....the Watchtower might be interesting though, but then again, it is also available on v6.3, and IOS. Auto syncing between ipad and iphone is important to me, but it is working well, so an upgrade or subscription wouldn't do anything better in that case either.
    And I am right I assume, that there is no special IOS app for users with subscription, with new improvements etc, correct?

I understood what you wrote, but as I said, I'm only using 2 platforms, mainly IOS (iPad and iPhone) and maybe 3-5 times per year the macOS v6.3 app of 1 password. I understand that my v6.3 imac app is outdated, but since macos is still a very safe OS and I use it so seldom, I doubt that a v7 app would make much of a difference.

So when we forget about my imac app, there is no difference if I use the IOS app with subscription or without, right? If not, will there be one, so that I at least would have an advantage when I upgrade/subscribe - which I really would like to if there were improvements for me.

• @weissenberger

1Password membership is the way forward. If you opt to stick with an older offering (i.e. v6) you're welcome to do that. Your license never expires, so you can continue to use that indefinitely; as long as it continues to meet your needs. One of the primary problems you're going to run up against at some point is that upgrades to 1Password are not included with licenses. We're no longer working on v6. So if changes to the operating system or the web browser you're using make it such that v6 no longer fully functions you'll have two options:

1. Upgrade you OS, web browser, and 1Password (recommended) or
    2. Stick with older versions of everything (opening you up to security issues that may exist in the older versions that won't be patched)

With an offering like 1Password it isn't all about new features. Part of what you're paying for us for us to keep on top of the latest developments in security and also compatibility with the other software that you're using. There is only so much "bling" that can be added to a password manager. There comes a point where any changes are more likely going to be incremental rather than monumental. 1Password is a mature offering -- we've been around for 10+ years. Are there more features to come? Certainly. But I think it is important to keep that perspective in mind.

Membership makes it such that you've always got access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your devices, and makes adding a new device or replacing an old one as easy as downloading the app and signing into your 1Password account. Beyond that it seems Ana has already explained the improvements you can expect. :)

Best of luck. :+1: If we can assist in moving forward please let us know.

Ben

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

Hi Ben, thanks for your explanation. I fully understand and agree to what you say, but as I said I'm not using v6 on the imac more than 3-5 times a year, so let's forget about the imac and v6.
    Also we don't have to discuss if 1password or agile is good and worth paying for it, it is and I really like it. But as I said I mostly use it on my ipad/iphone, but unfortunately my question hasn't been answered, yet. So once again, is there a special version in the IOS store or is it the same as I use now (7.3)?
    If yes, what are the advantages to the app I use now and if not, you might agree that a subscription doesn't really make sense when using mainly the IOS app which is the same for me as for subscribers.

• Meek
    edited April 2019

Hey @weissenberger,

You are indeed using the latest version of 1Password for iOS. If you are happy using your standalone vault in 1Password 7 for iOS, then you may be perfectly happy to continue using the standalone version without a membership. There are a few things to keep in mind:

• Your data won't sync between your iPhone and iPad without manually setting up iCloud or Dropbox sync (if you already have them set up, then this is a non-issue).
    • You won't have access to your 1Password data through a web browser, or use 2-factor authentication.
    • You won't have some of the nice features of a membership like automatic versioned backups and travel mode.
    • You won't be able to use our latest (and might I add awesome) 1Password X browser extension (Chrome and Firefox only, so if you use Safari, this is a non-issue).
    • When a paid upgrade to 1Password next comes out, that would be an opportunity to re-evaluate..

If all that sounds fine to you, then you'll likely be perfectly happy sticking with the standalone version on iOS for the time being. In the end, it is completely up to you - we offer both solutions so that our customers can decide which option is best for them. I hope that helps you make your decision!

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

@Meek

Thanks a lot, that's what I was looking for. Now I can think and decide.
    Is there any upgrade offer for v6 people, apart from the gift cards and 20% offer for new users?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2019

@weissenberger

There is currently a six month in-app purchase subscription promotion on iOS that ends on May 8th. Customers who start a new subscription with Apple from within 1Password on iOS between now and the 8th will receive the first six months half off. Monthly subscribers will be billed $1.99/month for the first six months. Annual subscribers will pay $8.99 upfront for the first six months. At the end of the introductory pricing regular pricing kicks in automatically. This promo replaces the regular “first month free” intro pricing.

Gift cards are another great way to save, but unfortunately cannot be applied to subscriptions through Apple. If you wanted to take advantage of the gift card discount pricing, once you've received the above promotion, you could switch to direct billing so that you could apply a gift card.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

@Ben That helps, thanks a lot.

Unfortunately it looks like that I'm assigned to the wrong app store🙁.

• @weissenberger

The promo is available in all app store regions, though the pricing I mentioned above is pre-tax and in USD. :)

Ben

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

Hi again, so I thought about what you guys wrote and would like to test it. As I mentioned, I'm not using it so often, therefore the 2 months trial wouldn't really help me. All the 6 months trials don't work anymore. I read on reddit that it is possible to ask for a promotion, which I would like to do herewith.
    As you know, I'm mainly using IOS devices, therefore I really need to test if a subscription makes sense for me, 1 password x mainly I guess.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@weissenberger - I'm afraid we don't have any promotions above the existing ones to share with you, but the ones we do have should certainly work (though I can't vouch for all regions' App Stores). If you'd like to discuss specific billing issues, please contact us privately via email at support+billing@1password.com.

• weissenberger
    weissenberger
    Community Member

@Lars
    Ok I understand, unfortunately 2 months are too short for me to test, as I mainly use IOS app. Never mind.

• If you change your mind and would like help please let us know. :+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.