Feature(s) Requests: Reminder System

Options
royimous
royimous
Community Member

This would be an expansion of some of the requests I've seen.

People have asked for password renewal reminders, credit card expiry reminders, and a other related reminder features.

What I'd like is a an implementation of a "memory" into 1Password, a reminder and notification system that would be a great addition to Watchtower. It would do the following things:

• Automated reminders based on security best practices.
  • The ability to customize the automated reminders and create your own based on your specific needs and rules.

A little bit more detail

Customizing: Security Profile

• Mainly through a quiz (though having a settings page for fine grained control would be good) a security profile could be established for each user and based on this customized reminders and features would be implemented

Memory

• To expand on the "memory" part, it would be cool if 1Password could have the app on my machine (no data sent out of my machine) scan my Gmail or other email inbox and find all the accounts I've ever signed up for and then do a few things: Add the info to Watchtower, prompt me to update passwords, and let me know how old the account is
  • Old accounts are a problem. Accounts we forget are a problem. These are weaknesses that can be exploited to gain access our other protected systems. Knowing what my old accounts are would then help me either update to a stronger password or shut down the account all together. Some of these old accounts might be connected to financial services or other sensitive repositories of our information.

The idea for all this came to me this morning. Yesterday my girlfriend's old Airbnb account got hacked and places were booked without her consent. Her Airbnb password was one she used at MyFitnessPal which got breached last year. It made me realize I have a lot of old accounts...old accounts that I don't use anymore that might be connected to financial services.

I love 1Password. Thank you for all you do!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: my.1password.com
Referrer: forum-search:timed reminder

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @royimous

Yesterday my girlfriend's old Airbnb account got hacked and places were booked without her consent. Her Airbnb password was one she used at MyFitnessPal which got breached last year. It made me realize I have a lot of old accounts...old accounts that I don't use anymore that might be connected to financial services.

I think we already provide some tools to help with what the ultimate problems was here, which is password reuse. One of the main points of 1Password is that it enables you to use strong and unique passwords for every service. There is no reason to use the same password in multiple spots anymore. Additionally we have Watchtower flag breached sites. While we consider the requests you've made I think it would be worth while to evaluate the reports that 1Password does already provide. It seems this particular situation could've been helped by multiple tools that already exist.

credit card expiry reminders,

That has already been implemented as part of the "Expiring" report in Watchtower (bottom option in the above screenshot). :+1:

Automated reminders based on security best practices.

What specifically do you mean here? While in the past it was a common recommendation to regularly change passwords that recommendation has been withdrawn. Most experts agree now that choosing a strong unique password and then sticking with it is a good strategy, vs regular changes.

The ability to customize the automated reminders and create your own based on your specific needs and rules.

I could certainly see how this might be useful in some cases. Thanks for the suggestion. We'll do some brainstorming on how this might fit into 1Password. :)

Ben

• royimous
    royimous
    Community Member
    Options

Sweet, good to hear. Thanks for all the info!

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome @royimous. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.