Why do I have to "unlock" on my desktop before using master code to sign into 1Password?

dmgsolomon
dmgsolomon
Community Member

This does not happen on my other devices, just my desktop

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Why do I have to "unlock" on my desktop before using master code to sign into 1Password?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @dmgsolomon! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please clarify what you mean by "unlock" here? Or perhaps can you share a screenshot of what you are seeing before entering your Master Password?

Thank you!

• dmgsolomon
    dmgsolomon
    Community Member

On my Imac, first I have to unlock my 1Password by pressing shift-command-X. Then after that I have to put in my master password. The first step is not required on my MacBook. Please see attached screenshots. (Hopefully both are attached; can't really tell). Thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmgsolomon - you've installed 1Password X, instead of the regular ("requires desktop app") extension into your browser (Chrome? Firefox?). That's just fine -- 1Password X is a great way to use 1Password in your browser if you have a 1password.com account...but it's not the same thing as our traditional 1Password browser extension.

If you'll look in the extensions tab of Chrome (or Add-Ons > Extensions in Firefox), what are the extensions you have installed in each of your Macs?

• dmgsolomon
    dmgsolomon
    Community Member

What is the difference between 1PasswordX and the "regular"? I use Chrome - where do I go to look in extensions tab?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmgsolomon - 1Password X is a browser-only solution that "lives" entirely in your browser and connects directly to your data on the 1password.com servers, no local app required. The regular extension is what's existed for years in 1Password, which can be used with either a 1password.com account(s) or standalone vaults or any mixture of the two, because it connects directly to the local app (1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows), which handles all of the data locally. If you have a 1password.com account and no local (standalone) vaults, you can use either one (in Chrome or Firefox; Safari does not have a 1Password X extension due to its design). But if you have local (standalone) vaults or you're a Safari user, you'll need the "regular" 1Password extension and not 1Password X.

If you visit our downloads page, you'll see two rows of extensions: the first one (above, to the left) is the "regular" (desktop-app-required) extension, for various browsers. The lower one (towards the right), are the 1Password X versions.

In your own setup in Chrome, you can verify what extensions you're using by clicking the "hamburger" menu at the top right of the address bar of Chrome, then choosing More Tools > Extensions from the drop-down menu. Or you can just type chrome://extensions/ into the address bar and press return.

• dmgsolomon
    dmgsolomon
    Community Member

Thanks -- It looks like I actually had both of them in there! I turned off the 1PasswordX, or is it better remove it altogether? And why does the description say it's the "best way" to experience 1Password in my browser. By turning it off, am I losing anything other than the annoying 2-step sign-in?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dmgsolomon - they're different experiences. I mean, they're overall intended to seem similar to one another because they're both 1Password...but one allows you to use it in places where you wouldn't be able to use the traditional extension. Say you have a Linux box somewhere such as at work; previously, because we don't have a native Linux client, you wouldn't be able to use 1Password there. Now you can. You're being asked to sign in within 1Password X because you haven't done that yet, even if you've used your Master Password to unlock the local app. So yes, you'd be eliminating the need to do sign in twice (though future versions of 1Password for Mac and 1Password X will be more tightly integrated in this regard. But 1Password X also gives you greater access to many of the advantages of a 1password.com account, right in your browser, instead of needing to open a webpage and sign into 1password.com directly to do certain things.

At the end of the day, if you have a 1password.com account, it's up to you.

• dmgsolomon
    dmgsolomon
    Community Member

Thanks very much for your help and explanations

• On behalf of Lars you're most welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.