What happens if my hard drive is erased?

Mr. Laser Beam
Mr. Laser Beam
Community Member
edited September 2011 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
Sometimes I like to 'clean out' my hard drive by reformatting it and installing everything from scratch. I also have a 1Password keychain (in my DropBox folder). My question is this: exactly what steps should I take with 1Password, after I have my hard drive formatted and have installed OS X and everything else?

My understanding is that all I need to have my freshly installed copy of 1Password recognize me is my email address. Is this true? Meaning, I don't need to write down my license code before I format the HD and then manually type it in again when I reinstall?

Comments

• Sometimes I like to 'clean out' my hard drive by reformatting it and installing everything from scratch. I also have a 1Password keychain (in my DropBox folder). My question is this: exactly what steps should I take with 1Password, after I have my hard drive formatted and have installed OS X and everything else?

My understanding is that all I need to have my freshly installed copy of 1Password recognize me is my email address. Is this true? Meaning, I don't need to write down my license code before I format the HD and then manually type it in again when I reinstall?

1. If you purchased from us, you will need your license details:
    Name and license key

2. You can download 1Password from our website: http://agilebits.com and instal it.

3. You'll then need to download, install, and setup Dropbox.

4. Once Dropbox finishes syncing, you can launch 1Password.

If you purchased from Apple (the Mac App Store), then instead of steps 1 and 2, you'll reinstall from the MAS (from the "purchased" tab). Steps 3 and 4 are still the same.
  • Mr. Laser Beam
    Mr. Laser Beam
    Community Member
    I don't mean when I buy the app for the first time. I did that a year ago. I mean, what happens if I erase my HD and have to REinstall? Do I have to write down the license beforehand? Or can I just have 1P resend it to me?
  • The above is what you will need to do if you erase your hard drive.

Yes, please write down your license key.
This discussion has been closed.