1Password 7 browser extensions not working in Firefox and Chrome after the last update

Options

After the last update of 1Password Windows app, the 1Password 7 browser extensions don't work in Firefox and Chrome (with a gray icon). I ever had this problem when I begin to use 1Password, and I had resolved it with your teams' help. At that time, the problem derived from my Chinese username of Windows, then I resolved it by installing the 1Password app at the "common user" file folder. But after the last update of the desktop app, this issue happens again! And at the same time, the Microsoft Edge extension still works. Why does it happen and what should I do?

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1803
Sync Type: 1Password.com

Comments

• bundtkate
    edited April 2019
    Options

To help me figure out what's going on, @Huang_, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Windows PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread so if someone else beats me to your e-mail, they'll know what's up. :+1:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :chuffed:

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Huang_
    Huang_
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you but I have solved the problem by myself. After creating a diagnostics report, I thought "Why don't I take a look first?" Then I opened it on my browser and I saw the "Current Install Location" getting back to the directory of the user with a Chinese username! I think it may be caused by the update program. Then I uninstalled the 1Password desktop app and used the command line to install it at the custom directory "C:\Users\Public" manually. After the reinstallation, the browser extensions have been restored.
    But why would the update change the install location? Will it happen again? I hope you to check out the reason and make some improvements to prevent it happens again.

• That's actually what I expected happened, @Huang_. Good on you for finding it yourself. :+1: For the vast majority of our customers, the best thing is going to be to have 1Password installed in the current user's user folder. Technically, what you're doing is unsupported – it's just the best option we have until this issue with Chrome is resolved. Note this isn't something we can fix on our end – it needs to be fixed in Chrome and we're not the only app affected here. That said, we are working on some big updates to the installer and a likely consequence of those is that you shouldn't need to worry about this once they're out, but we still could potentially release some minor updates before those installer changes. Given that, if you'd like to avoid anything unexpected, I'd suggest turning off automatic updates. You'll still see update notifications, but you can choose when to install them so you can ensure to install to the proper location. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.