Autofill not working 7.3b12 with Safari Tech Preview Release 80

cmfrazier
cmfrazier
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

My autofill is broken using the combo in the title. If I disable and re-enable the extension, it will work for just a short bit (a few minutes?). The button is working fine, I can copy and paste, but using cmd + / does not autofill. Clicking autofill will also not fill the password.

1Password Version: 7.3b12
Extension Version: 7.3b12
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• @cmfrazier,

Do you have Safari Tech Preview set as your default browser in System Preferences -> General -> Default web browser?

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

@rudy yes sir.

• stretchmonkey
    stretchmonkey
    Community Member

Same - it's as if the extension gets disabled after a few minutes.

• eripa
    eripa
    Community Member

I have the same issue with the Release 80 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.16). Looks like it's working for a little while after a restart of 1password (incl the helper) and then stops working.

• sudan_softwood
    sudan_softwood
    Community Member

I am also having the same autofill issues with the latest Safari Technology Preview - Release 80 (Safari 12.2, WebKit 14608.1.16)

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.5 (70205002)

• justinmacleod
    justinmacleod
    Community Member

Same here, same versions.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited April 2019

I submitted a diagnostic report to AgileBits on April 24. Reverting to Safari or Firefox as the default browser makes the symptoms go away.

I also submitted a bug report to Apple about several problems with Safari Technical Preview rendering. I included a follow-on comment about STP affecting interactions with other applications, e.g. causing 1PW to ignore* shortcuts and icon clicks, but did not make a separate bug report as yet.

[1PW Beta 12, STP Release 80, macOS version 10.14.4 (18E226)]

*ignore, or perhaps, not receive

• rudy
    edited May 2019

All,

I have narrowed the problem down to something that Apple will need to fix in a subsequent release of STP.

• Lukas S.
    Lukas S.
    Community Member

Is there a Radar we could dupe or so?

• rudy
    edited May 2019

@Lukas S.

rdar://problem/50255960 is what I've filed with the Safari team about the STP 80 behavior and they are investigating.

• Ryan Parman
    Ryan Parman
    Community Member

Same here. Doesn't work on STP v80 or v81.

1Password 7
    Version 7.3.BETA-12 (70300012)
    AgileBits Beta

• TreeTrum
    TreeTrum
    Community Member

Looks like v81 didn't fix the issue for me either.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

It is most curious that Safari Technical Preview (Release 81) still interferes with the Menu Bar 1P icon when it is the active application. Switching to any other application restores normal click response. The other faults still occur as well.

• rudy
    edited May 2019

@xz4gb8,

Its not curious at all, when the foreground process is a browser that has an extension connection to 1Password its requesting context from the active page to know what suggestions to show. In the STP 80 and 81 case the API that gets the active page isn't ever completing so we aren't informed of this context.

Apple is aware of the problem and are looking at what went wrong.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

It was Alice that told me it was curious.

Thank you for the explanation of the mechanism. Is this something that should have a timeout set in 1Password?

Thank you again for the update. It helps set our expectations -- in this case that we should wait for Release 82 of STP.

• toph
    toph
    Community Member

I'm also having this issue. I can active 1Password with keyboard shortcuts when STP isn't the frontmost application, and with the menu bar button in STP, but not the keyboard shortcut. Seems from this thread like it's an issue in STP, though.

• @xz4gb8,

Yup, 82 or later would be my guess at this point.. Its hard to say where Apple was in their release process to know if 81 was already set for release when the radar was filed.

• stretchmonkey
    stretchmonkey
    Community Member

Yeah - still no dice. (Here at least)

• @stretchmonkey,

Yup, confirmed it is not in 82.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

Seems to be fixed so far in release 83...I hope!

• @cmfrazier,

I'll check my radar and but as of right now I have no indication to believe that to be true currently.

• cmfrazier
    cmfrazier
    Community Member

Still broken :(
    I thought it was working but it just failed me....

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Man, and I got my hopes up there for a minute. :lol:

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member

My experience with STP release 83:

• It works with 1PW at first launch.
    • Eventually, things fail to respond.
    • Quit and relaunch of STP 83 restores 1PW function.

Something somewhere is not resetting properly. I am not familiar with extension APIs so have no clue. I am monitoring Safari Memory usage using Activity Monitor to see what changes at failure of 1PW functions.*

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Personally, I'm just going to wait for an update from Apple. ;)

• has anyone yet tried out Safari 13 on macOS 10.15 yet? in my initial testing it seems that this particular issue isn't a problem there.

• xz4gb8
    xz4gb8
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

My very brief testing shows good results with
    1Password 7
    Version 7.3.1.BETA-0 (70301000) 1Password Beta
    Safari 13
    10.15 Beta on MacBookPro14,3

I used the Menu Bar icon to navigate to this forum and the Safari Toolbar icon to login. It also seems to work with various banks and utilities.

I have yet to download STP compatible with 10.15*; "News at 11" if there is any.

*No STP yet available for 10.15

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Time will tell. :)

• @xz4gb8,

Indications are that the getActiveWindow failure should stop in STP, on older operating systems, in the presence of Safari 13. Quite the mouthful.

• btn
    btn
    Community Member

Does Apple currently provide a way to install Safari 13 Beta for older versions of macOS other than trying to extract it from the macOS 10.15 Beta? I'm not seeing anything obvious in my Apple Developer account…

P.S. It's amazing how much life without easy AutoFill via 1PW in STP has been a nuisance. :p

This discussion has been closed.