To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I purchased the 1Password App for $9.99 years ago. Why is it now asking me to pay for a subscriptio

dpemaier
dpemaier
Community Member

I purchased the 1Password App for $9.99 years ago. Why is it now asking me to pay for a subscription when I try to edit a password?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.5 (70205004) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dpemaier! Thanks for being a long-time 1Password user, and I'm sorry for the confusion. You're being asked to sign up for a 1Password membership because you downloaded and installed 1Password 7 for Mac, which (as a new version) requires either the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version or a 1password.com subscription to get it out of Read Only mode (that's why you're getting that prompt: because in Read Only mode you cannot add, edit or delete data).

If you purchased 1Password in the past for $9.99, that sounds like either the Pro features of 1Password for iOS or 1Password for Android, neither of which would give you access to 1Password for Mac. You may have also purchased the previous version of 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store at some point over the past six years as well, but if you're using 1Password 7 for Mac, that means you'll have recently downloaded it separately and installed it.

Your choices at this point would be:

1. Sign up for a 1password.com membership, which allows you to use ANY/ALL of our native 1Password applications (for Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), including any future updates, for as long as you maintain the membership.
    2. Fully quit and uninstall 1Password 7 for Mac, then visit the purchase history of your App Store account, locate the older 1Password 6 for Mac and re-install that (not recommended, but not a terrible idea especially if you're on an older Mac with an older version of macOS installed)
    3. Uninstall the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac and download/install our version instead, then purchase a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac (currently on sale for $49.99, but returning to the full retail price of $64.99 in the future).

Let me know if you have any questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.