Working across Linux and Windows with Chrome and Firefox

Hi folks,

My understanding is that there are two sets of browser plugins.
1. The browser helpers that wrap the desktop app to provide browser support
2. 1Password X which is a standalone browser plugin

The impression I get is that 1Password X relies a lot more on the browser security, and requires a login to each browser it's used in, separate from the desktop app... whereas with the non 'X' version, it just ties into the existing desktop 1Password login. So, in Windows, the recommended plugin would be option 1 where the desktop app is present, right?

On Linux, however, there is no desktop app, only a CLI program. So the only browser option is 1Password X.

When signed into Chrome, Chrome will synchronise installed apps across all a user's browsers.

... can you see where I'm going here :)

If you install the plugins into Chrome on one platform, the Chrome will try to install the same plugin on other platforms.
... install 1Password X in Linux, it'll try and install it on Windows.

Has there been any consideration given to combining 1Password X and the desktop wrapper version (if at all possible), so that if the desktop program is available, it's used, and if not, 1Password X has the option of running standalone?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

... otherwise, how well do 1Password (the wrapper) and 1Password X coexist?

• Hi @adfhogan,

I struggle with this as well, so I fully understand the concern. :) We are working toward making it possible for 1Password X to integrate with a desktop app if one is available, but for it to continue to be able to work on its own as well. You can read a bit more about those efforts here:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! 🎉 — 1Password Forum

Right now it is in beta, and only on Mac, but we're hoping to expand that and to get it into a stable release "soon." Personally I actually tend to prefer the UI of 1Password X and so I use it everywhere — desktop app or not. The only time I really use the "traditional" extension is if I have to test something for a customer, or if I have to use Safari (as we don't have 1Password X there).

Does that help?

Ben

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben.. glad to hear it's on the roadmap!

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@adfhogan – We're pretty excited about it, so I'm glad you are too! :)

This discussion has been closed.