Jenkins Groovy - 'op get item {item_name}' loops forever and doesn't return output

nicusorserban
nicusorserban
Community Member

Hey,

I'm trying to use the cli tool to get an item data from a Groovy Script inside Jenkins.
Logging in and setting up the session token as a variable works just fine but when i get to the op get item {item} the Groovy script is waiting forever and never returns.

I've tried:

• using the other wait functions that the Process object has, no success. ( see http://docs.groovy-lang.org/docs/groovy-1.7.2/html/groovy-jdk/java/lang/Process.html )
  • do timeout 25 op get item {item} The process ends but there is no output passed to Groovy
  • do echo exit | op get item {item} The process immediately exits with no output
  • using op get item {item} inside a bash script and then run that through Groovy, process waits forever
  • pipe the output to a file, process waits forever

Note: If i do the command myself inside the machine, it works without any issue.

Tried with both my local Jenkins on Docker and a production Jenkins on Ubuntu 18.04

Please see an example of the code below:

/*****************************************************************************************/
def login_command = """
    echo 'PASSWORD' | op signin {shorthand} --output=raw
"""

def execute_login = ["bash","-c", login_command].execute()
execute_login.waitFor()

def session_token = execute_login.text

println session_token

/*****************************************************************************************/

def export_session_token_command = """
    export OP_SESSION_{shorthand}=$session_token
"""

def execute_session = ["bash","-c", export_session_token_command].execute()
execute_session.waitFor()

println execute_session.text

def get_api_creds_command = 'op get item {item}'

def execute_get_api = ["bash","-c", get_api_creds_command].execute()
execute_get_api.waitFor()

println execute_get_api.text

Maybe this can help : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5483830/process-waitfor-never-returns

Thanks!

1Password Version: 0.5.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Ubuntu 18.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nicusorserban
    nicusorserban
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Good morning,

I've managed to find a workaround for this by using the following:
    exec script -q -c 'op get item {item}' /var/tmp/result.log

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

This is very strange. I am not very familiar with Jenkins and the Groovy language it uses, but I am glad you found a workaround. I do not have an environment in which I can test this, but if you discover anything else about this, I am sure others would be interested to see what's going on here!

This discussion has been closed.