Secure Desktop inconsistency

gazu
gazu
Community Member

I've noticed that when using the Secure Desktop in 1Password for Windows that sometimes the background is black and other times it's blue.

What, if any, significance is attached to the different coloured backgrounds?
If there is a difference it'd be nice for an explanatory label at the top of the Secure Desktop.

I've attached images of the behaviour.
It'd be great if 1Password could block Print Screen for added security (I realise it's primarily designed to deter key loggers).

Comments

• The background color is actually chosen by Windows, @gazu, and as I understand it is intended to be based upon your desktop wallpaper's primary color so no significance whatsoever. That said, my wallpaper is a photo of the milky way (so mostly black for sure) and I still see a blue background on Secure Desktop from time to time. I don't know exactly how Windows is making this determination and why it isn't always consistent. I might expect some variation with a wallpaper that has a widely varied color pallet, but I don't feel like mine really fits that bill. Regardless, it's expected and normal for the moment. I definitely do see value in consistency here, though, and have already asked our development team if we can consider how we might ensure a more consistent experience. Folks who use secure desktop are precisely the types who are likely to notice this sort of thing and wonder if it indicates some sort of trouble. I don't know if there is anything we can do here or not – it's something we'll need to investigate – but I do understand why it raises some eyebrows.

As for blocking screen captures, I'll certainly pass that feedback along, but I doubt it's something we'll get to any time soon. I understand why this would feel more secure, but the point of a secure desktop is actually to limit the processes that can access that desktop. Just like this can put barriers in the way of keyloggers, it also impedes any other running process from initiating a screen print. You might be able to capture your screen, but malware should be unable to do so. Of course, no security feature makes it truly safe to use a compromised device. If you have malware on your device and it wants to capture your Master Password, it likely can, secure desktop or no. Think of this more as a mitigating factor – we're making these things harder, but we can't make them impossible. It's still important to make sure your device is secure and you're following best practices to keep it that way. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.