To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

FIDO2/WebAuthn and 1Password webinterface access

vilhelmr
vilhelmr
Community Member

First: I didn't see a forum specifically for the web version of 1Password, so I'm posting here.

Last summer I lost my phone while abroad, and my first thought was "Shit, 1Password, I can't access anything now", because who can remember their secret key?

I have bought a FIDO2/WebAuthn hardware token in the meantime, and can now access my e-mail even without 1Password. I was thinking, from this great experience, that it would be super convenient, if the token could replace the secret key for the 1Password webinterface. Is such a feature in development or on the roadmap? It would certainly be welcome to travellers :).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:webauthn

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @vilhelmr! Welcome to the forum!

I have moved your discussion to the Memberships section so it's in the right place :)

We don't have anything to share about such a feature yet, but thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! In the meantime, I would like to say that you are not expected to remember your Secret Key! We created the Emergency Kit exactly for this purpose, so you always have access to your account information in case on an emergency (such as a lost device).

In addition to this, if you use 1Password on multiple devices, you can reveal your Secret Key from any other device where you are using 1Password on, without the need to even use your Emergency Kit.

• vilhelmr
    vilhelmr
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

Thank you for your reply :). I have a printed emergency kit stored in my bank, but that's not very useful when I'm abroad, nor is the multi-device support (I try to travel light). I have no worry of being permanently locked out (except if 1Password ceases to function), because of these lovely safeguards (that I can access at home).

If access becomes important (say for a backup of my passport), I can get someone to access my data at home, but I just thought the hardware token would be a neater solution :).

Thank you,
    Vilhelm

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you @vilhelmr! I appreciate your thoughts on this :)

I see where you are coming from. Also, to be clear, I am not saying that we don't want to add such a feature, just that I don't have any information or timelines to share about this yet :)

• vilhelmr
    vilhelmr
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana

Thank you very much, I consider my question resolved :).

All the best,
    Vilhelm

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @vilhelmr!

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.