1Password Extension blocked by Firefox ESR 60 this evening [All Firefox extensions unavailable]

Options
romad
romad
Community Member
edited May 2019 in Mac

Extension was working fine all day but when I came back Firefox had deleted it. I tried to reinstall it but was told it was corrupt. Where can I get a current acceptable extension?

Mac OS 10.11.6 1Password 6.8.9 Extension 4.7.3.90

View 1Password Approved Answer

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2019
    Options

Update

For additional information, see Known issue: All Firefox extensions disabled [update: Mozilla has a hotfix …]

Hi @romad, and everyone else experiencing this issue.

Firefox currently seems to have an issue with all extensions, not just 1Password. It seems it isn't possible to use extensions with Firefox at the moment due to a certificate Firefox relies on expiring. This is something Mozila (Firefox) will need to address.

We're in the early stages here... news about this is just starting to get out. I'm sure more info will be forthcoming, but here is the link to the issue over at Bugzilla (Firefox's bug tracker): https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1548973

Sorry for the inconvenience. :( Hopefully Mozilla gets this sorted quickly.

Ben

P.S. 1Password 6 is retired. You may want to consider upgrading to v7, though that has no bearing on this particular issue.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben. Unfortunately, 1Password 7 won't work on my iMac.

• Ben
    Options

Understood. Hopefully the situation with Firefox is sorted soon. I imagine due to the nature of the issue it'll be quickly flagged as a high priority issue.

Ben

• skappley
    skappley
    Community Member
    Options

I also ran into this problem today. Yesterday it still worked, and today Firefox disabled the 1Password plugin. Tried to reinstall it, but installation fails.
    I hope they sort this out quickly, because I need to use multiple browsers for work and it's bad without 1Password plugin :-)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

I received this from Mozilla Support Forum this morning:

Mozilla has rolled-out a fix for this. The fix will be automatically applied in the background within the next few hours, you don’t need to take active steps.

In order to be able to provide this fix on short notice, they are using the Studies system. You can check if you have studies enabled

Go to [=] > Preferences > Privacy & Security.
    Make sure Allow Firefox to install and run studies is check marked.

I you had it disabled, you can disable studies again after your add-ons have been re-enabled.

They are working on a general fix that doesn't need to rely on this and will keep you updated.

This was posted last night at 9:17 P.M., but I have my iMac shutdown at 1:30 A.M. every day. I'll have to see if the fix is really applied to FF on my iMac. But this latest FF screw-up tells me I need to get serious and move to another browser (but definitely NOT Chrome!) and let Firefox just Foxtrot Oscar Delta.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thanks, @romad. :+1:

Information about that hotfix has also been posted here:

Known issue: All Firefox extensions disabled [update: Mozilla has a hotfix …]

PS: I updated your comment to format the quote you posted from Mozilla Support Forum.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, sjk. I had just copied and pasted out of the email I received.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I had just copied and pasted out of the email I received.

No worries. And I didn't change any of the content you pasted here, only wrapped it with Markdown-style quoting. :chuffed:

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Well, Mozilla finally admitted that their "fix" is only for the current Firefox Desktop; previous releases, ESR releases, and Linux releases won't be fixed by it. In the meantime, I've moved my FF bookmarks to Safari though that is a sub-par solution in my mind.

• surzen
    surzen
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue, do not underatand It issues, I only know that I canot use 1password extension (v 6) in FF any longer - why?

• surzen
    surzen
    Community Member
    Options

"Mozilla finally admitted that their "fix" is only for the current Firefox Desktop" - is this the reason the 1Password does not work in FF any longer? I have 1Password v6 desktop, Mac, works everywhere iPhone, iPad, Safari BUT not working in FF (v 66.0.3) - thank you!

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

surzen, the ones having success are those who have the regular Firefox 66 release. Did you follow Mozilla's instructions for their temporary fix? You can find it in my 7:36 A.M. post above and a link in sjk's 7:46 A.M. above.

If you want to read Mozilla's now-closed blog on this go to: http://tinyurl.com/yylek6f4

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@romad Sorry to hear you are changing browsers! Would the desktop release not work for you anymore?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @surzen! Welcome to the forum!

I only know that I canot use 1password extension (v 6) in FF any longer - why?

You can see the explanation in Ben's approved answer at the top of this conversation.

• surzen
    surzen
    Community Member
    Options

Dear Ana, Dear All - I have indeed read Ben approved answer, and while initially did not work (I did it several times :-)) finally now it did; I am now going to see if it works smoothly as in Safari...

• surzen
    surzen
    Community Member
    Options

Dear All, now is all working fine - great, thank you everybody for help in understanding this issue!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @surzen! :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Good to hear you were successful, surzen. As you probably know by now the problem was ONLY in Firefox and was apparently caused by a Mozilla screw up on a signing certificate.

No, ag_ana, the fix Mozilla came up with is only for the current Firefox Desktop release. I'm on their ESR release channel and they didn't release a fix for it, nor for older versions, the Android version, or Linux versions of Firefox.

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    Options

Wonder of wonders! I just launched Firefox 60.1esr and my add-ons are back! I will continue, however, to migrate bookmarks and settings to Safari as I can no longer trust Mozilla.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great to hear that Firefox is working again for you too @romad, thank you for the update :)

• romad
    romad
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Also, Mozilla has released Firefox 60.6esr as part of their fix.

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.