Check Your Email and Secret Key (ipad 14G60 running 10.3.3)

sezb51
sezb51
Community Member

Hello,
I have 1password running just fine when using "create a standalone vault".
However when I try to join existing 1password.com account I get "Check Your Email and Secret Key".

The Scan Account details has got from existing barcode the proper informations:

The very same informations works just fine if I connect via browser using same ipad.

I do understand this ipad is quite old now but why I can't complete the authentication ?

Thank you,
A.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.3.3
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sezb51! Welcome to the forum!

What version of 1Password are you currently running on this iPad?

• sezb51
    sezb51
    Community Member

just checked... it says 6.9.1

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @sezb51! This is indeed happening because of the version you are running: in order to use 1Password accounts in the app, you need to be using 1Password for iOS version 7.

This in turn requires iOS 12, so if your device supports the latest Apple OS, please upgrade it so you will be able to use the latest version of 1Password as well.

• sezb51
    sezb51
    Community Member

unfortunately IOS 10.3.3 is latest available sw for ipad 14G60 (ipad 4) and apple store provide 1Password 6.9.1 only.
    I understand that ipad is 32bit and 1Password7 might be 64bit hence not a compatible upgrade.
    My expectation are just to use already created login profiles in the family account and it would be nice if we find a way to overcome the authentication issue between 6.91 vs 7 - forcing one authentication then use fingertip method.
    Alternatively if a .ipa/.deb 1Password7 is compiled for 32bit I can try to side loading via impactor tool...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sezb51,

My expectation are just to use already created login profiles in the family account and it would be nice if we find a way to overcome the authentication issue between 6.91 vs 7

This is a security choice: the server does not allow old clients and old operating systems to connect for security reasons, so I am afraid it will not be possible to avoid this without upgrading the app.

Alternatively if a .ipa/.deb 1Password7 is compiled for 32bit I can try to side loading via impactor tool...

I am not sure of the answer to this, sorry! But we officially recommend using 1Password only when it comes from a trusted source and has not been modified in any way (on iOS, this means downloading the official 1Password app directly from the App Store). 1Password is security software after all, so using the latest version is a good idea in itself, because it benefits from the security improvements offered by the latest versions of iOS.

• sezb51
    sezb51
    Community Member

I do agree with your comments.

However while I see reasons of officially publishing the 64bit version only through apple store (associated costs, beeing sure the users adopt the latest and so on....) I also believe it would be nice if 1password.com would offer their own ipa/deb 32 bit download even with the disclaimer of unsupported kind of application due to its deprecated 32bit nature. The user won't be able to damper the code yet beeing able to use existing devices.

The other alternative would be to use 1password in browser tab but not so friendly usage as the app...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate your feedback @sezb51!

The other alternative would be to use 1password in browser tab but not so friendly usage as the app...

I agree, it would work but using the iOS app works much better :)

• Raj_Rao
    Raj_Rao
    Community Member

I am using an older iPad running iOS 9.3.5. While trying to add 1password.com to the App, I am getting 'Check your email and secret key'. I have successfully verified the information by logging into 1password.com online. I am having issue with this iPad only.

• Hi @Raj_Rao

Unfortunately we're unable to support iOS 9. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Ben

• eb3f73
    eb3f73
    Community Member

Why not? I am paying for a family plan. My iOS device works just fine, but Apple has limited its upgrades to iOS9. I don't understand why I should have to shell out hundreds of additional dollars to support the products I've already paid for.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eb3f73:

1Password is security software, and therefore benefits from the security improvements introduced in more recent versions of iOS. With the current version of iOS being version 13, iOS 9 is now very old, so we are unable to support it anymore. Sorry for the inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.