1Password 2 Compatibility and Decryption Problems

Dear 1Password support,

I have been using 1Password 2 on my Mac running OS X Snow Leopard. At the same time, I use iOS 1Password 7.3 on my iPhone, syncing between the two using a Dropbox vault. Recently, I bought a new Mac and without thinking, I downloaded the latest 1Password 7 and installed it. I was able to decrypt my Dropbox vault without any problems. However, on noticing that it was a trial version, I uninstalled 1Password 7 using the instruction provided on the website, which includes deleting the various files under ~/Library/.

I then went to download 1Password 2 from the legacy download page and it installed without complications. I was able to point it to my Dropbox vault, however, I am not able to decrypt the keychain. It kept hinting that my password is incorrect. Yet, I have been using the same password for years, and have been able to decrypt the keychain on my iPhone as well as just now for 1Password 7.

It occurred to me that when I upgraded to 1Password 7, it could have changed/upgraded the keychain format, and now it is no longer compatible with 1Password 2. Is this a possibility? I might still have a copy of the old keychain in my TimeMachine, but I do not wish to mess around with this until I have confirmed the problem with you.

Thank you very much in advance for your kind assistance.

With best regards,
Jon

1Password Version: 1Password 2.12.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox 1Password.agilekeychain
Referrer: forum-search:1Password 2 Keychain Compatibility and Decryption Problems

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Guest_DX! Wow, it's been quite a while indeed since I've seen anyone running 1Password 2 for Mac. In 2019, nearly a year into the 1Password 7 for Mac era, we're finding it increasingly rare to even see 1Password 3 for Mac users...but 1Password 2 for Mac? Almost never.

If you've recently upgraded your Mac to a model new enough to run macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), it's time to upgrade 1Password as well. 1Password 2 for Mac is simply too old at this point to be supported - or useful. Even 1Password 3 for Mac doesn't run well on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) due to the number and significance of the changes to macOS since the days of...OS X TIGER, which was the current version of OS X when 1Password 2 for Mac was released. Long story short: we actively recommend against attempting to install or use 1Password 3 for Mac or 1Password 2 for Mac on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), and neither are supported on Mojave.

If you had been syncing your data via Dropbox using version 2 of 1Password, that would have had to be an Agile Keychain, since the format that replaced Agile Keychain (OPVault) was not even in existence, let alone released or available for version 2. However, due to its age and the years-long availability of OPVault, we made the decision to formally retire Agile Keychain in 1Password 7 for Mac. That means, if you installed 1Password 7 for Mac on your new Mac, it would have converted your older Agile Keychain to the newer format...which 1Password 2 for Mac cannot read. My guess would be that if you look in your Dropbox folder itself, you'll see both an .opvault file and something with the file-type .legacyagilekeychain. If so, that's what happened: 1Password 7 for Mac converted your legacy Agile Keychain into an OPVault.

The best way forward at this point, since you're now up to using modern hardware and versions of macOS everywhere, would be a 1password.com account. There are many advantages (especially the fact that ALL of our current 1Password apps are included with the subscription price as well as all future upgrades for as long as you maintain the account), and you can try one out free for 30 days, to see if it's for you. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• Guest_DX
    Guest_DX
    Community Member

Thank you Lars for your prompt and detailed reply. Yes, I bought 1Password back in 2009 when I was only a student.

I have checked my Dropbox folder, and I only see the file "1Password.agilekeychain", rather than the one with the legacy prefixed onto the filename extension. Does this mean that 1Password 7 had not changed the keychain format? How is it that I cannot open it with 1Password 2? I understand that this very old software version is no longer supported, and therefore, I do not expect a lot of effort to be made in trying to troubleshoot this issue. However, ideally, I would really hope to get this software working.

I have looked at the pricing scheme for the new 1Password 7. I am disappointed to see that the company has now adopted a subscription service, which completely price 1Password out of people in my socioeconomic stratum. I remember 1Password 2 costing around $40 which was already an expensive proposition for me. As 10 years has passed, I do not mind buying 1Password again for about the same price. Since I do not see anything remotely like this on your website, it is back to pen and paper for me if I cannot get 1Password 2 working again.

Thank you for your assistance.

With best regards,
    Jon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Guest_DX - first of all, thanks so much for being an early user of 1Password. We've never had a corporate parent company or a dime of venture capital investment, so we're well aware that we quite literally would not be where we are today with 1Password without early adopters like you. So, hats off, and thanks. :)

I understand that this very old software version is no longer supported, and therefore, I do not expect a lot of effort to be made in trying to troubleshoot this issue. However, ideally, I would really hope to get this software working.

It's not just that I can't or won't troubleshoot this with you (I don't think anyone here has even tried or tested 1Password 2 for Mac with Mojave; it's just too old, and we already know its successor, 1Password 3 for Mac, won't work on 10.14). It's also that for security reasons we just can't recommend trying to do this, and as such we're not going to offer people advice on how to do it. I hope you understand.

Does this mean that 1Password 7 had not changed the keychain format? How is it that I cannot open it with 1Password 2?

My guess - and it is only a guess, without seeing your actual computer(s) - is that at some point, you upgraded to 1Password 3 for Mac. Agile Keychain format wasn't developed or used until 1Password 3 for Mac, so although your first purchase may have been 1Password 2 for Mac, back in those old days when the executable was still called 1Passwd (now there's a blast from the past!), we were still using the Apple System Keychain, not Agile Keychain (yet), if memory serves. That's going to be why 1Password 2 for Mac can't use it, and it would be true no matter the hardware/OS X combo you tried it on: version 2 just did not use Agile Keychain. That's why I say you likely upgraded to 1Password 3 for Mac at some point, even if you don't remember it (hey, that was 10 years ago and my memory isn't that great for minute details of a decade ago, either!).

I have looked at the pricing scheme for the new 1Password 7. I am disappointed to see that the company has now adopted a subscription service, which completely price 1Password out of people in my socioeconomic stratum.

We do indeed have 1password.com memberships now (paid for by subscription). More on that in a minute. But before I get to that, we also still sell standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows. They're currently on sale for $49.99 but I don't know for how much longer. The full retail price is $64.99. So that option exists for you if you'd prefer.

But let me tell you why I think 1password.com membership is a far better option. First of all, at $2.99/mo, it's the cost of one Starbucks drink a month. Or maybe half a sandwich. Certainly, different people have different economic situations, but everyone who can afford a computer and an internet connection has security needs as well, and I always wonder, when looked at that way, how many people genuinely can't do a coffee a month to help ensure their online security (or don't think it's worth it)? Obviously, it's incumbent upon us to demonstrate value for what we charge, and each person has to be the judge of whether we hit that mark. But I think 1password.com memberships demonstrate value better than any previous iteration of 1Password. There are many advantages to 1Password accounts, some of which are things we couldn't build into the limited 3rd party sync options like Dropbox and iCloud. Those are both great general-sync services, but they weren't designed specifically for your 1Password data. 1password.com IS designed for your 1Password data, and it allows us to do things like Travel Mode, individual item history, and much more. In addition to all of that, each 1password.com membership comes with all four of our native 1Password apps (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android) at no extra charge, and that includes all future upgrades for as long as you maintain the account. So no more worrying about whether your license is up to date or if you've installed the license file: just download the latest update as soon as it's available, and get back to what you were doing.

Cost-wise, it depends a bit on your specific situation. But a $64.99 standalone license (or even at $49.99) is a much larger one-time cost than a $35.88/yr subscription. In fact, at $35.88 for a one-year individual 1Password membership, you'd get almost two years before equaling the cost of the license. And if you now have a family with whom you'd like to share data, who'd also benefit from using 1Password, a 1Password Families subscription is only $59.88/yr...for up to FIVE people, making the savings even greater. Ultimately, it's your call, however -- let us know if you have any questions.

• Guest_DX
    Guest_DX
    Community Member

Thank you again Lars for the prompt and detailed response.

Yes, I really did like my old 1Password very much, and so was quite disappointed to see that the old versions are no longer available (since I don't really need the additional features offered by the newer versions).

What you said makes sense. I believe it could well be that I had upgraded to 1Password 3 afterwards. So, I suppose there is no way I could get this working again.

Fortunately for me, the sale price of $49.99 is just 1 cent within my budget, so I'll splurge on this. I would not be able to afford the full price of $65 otherwise! Anyhow, could you point me to the sale page. I looked through almost every page on the website but all I could find was the subscription service. Is there some promotional coupon code that I need from you?

Thank you and with best regards,
    Jon

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Guest_DX

Yes, I really did like my old 1Password very much, and so was quite disappointed to see that the old versions are no longer available

I'm apparently not making myself clear. We have a version history server that contains every version of every application we've ever made, available for download. You can go download the very first version of 1Password ever created (0.8.0, right here!) if you really want or need it.

What won't be happening is us going back through all of this old code that hasn't been worked on in years or even decades, and upgrading every older version for compatibility with the very latest hardware, versions of macOS and browser advancements. That's what the new version is for; it's where we're doing all of our current work, and it's the one we warrant to work on the latest hardware/OS/browser(s).

We're selling 1Password for Mac via FastSpring now, rather than our own store. You access this by installing 1Password 7 for Mac. When you launch it for the first time and either create a new vault or access existing 1Password data (whether from a backup, an older Agile Keychain or OPVault or whatever), your data will be in Read Only mode until 1Password has been purchased. You'll be presented with the Purchase Options screen, giving you the option to either sign into an existing 1password.com account, open a new account, or purchase a standalone license. Choose that last option, like this:

Clicking "Need a license? We have those too" will take you to our FastSpring store, where you'll be walked through the process of purchasing a license. Let us know if you have any problems.

One last thing, and I'll stop after this: in the last ten years, the amount you say you paid for 1Password 2 ($40.00) would just by virtue of inflation now be $47.23

The current discount price of $49.99 is pretty close to that figure, but that's not the full retail price of 1Password 7 for Mac and I don't know how much longer it will be available. We've had to raise the price of standalone licenses significantly beyond that, to their current retail price of $64.99 to reflect the increased cost of supporting licenses, both on the development side and the customer service side. We're happy to still offer them for 1Password 7 for Mac, but we've had to price them commensurately with the effort and resources they require. The truth is that, once users are up and running on a 1password.com account (whethe coming from standalone or a brand-new user), they tend to have far fewer problems than standalone users, just because there are far fewer variables and things that can go wrong. No advanced, 3rd party sync, no licensing issues, etc. What this means is that future versions are released (such as when 1Password 8 for Mac is eventually released - and no, that's not anything imminent or even scheduled at this point), they will require a new purchase as well. The only way to "save money" on 1Password will be to use retired versions long after new ones have been released, or skip certain versions altogether, something that's definitely not recommended for the same reasons trying to use 1Password 2 for Mac on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) isn't recommended (security, compatibility, stability). My point here is: especially if money is a concern for you, 1password.com accounts are going to be the way forward: they're more secure, easier to use, easier to budget for ($35.88/yr for an individual instead of $64.99 every ??? months/years) and they include access to the newest versions of all four of our apps - Mac, Windows, iOS and Android. We'll be happy to have you as a user either way, but I don't want you facing another unpleasant financial choice the next time a version is released. It's your decision, of course, and I won't mention it again because I think we've covered all the relevant ground here.

• Guest_DX
    Guest_DX
    Community Member

I think there are some misunderstanding that needs clearing up:

1. I was being careless with my words, when I said that "older versions were no longer available". What I really meant to say was that I was looking for something similar to 1Password 3, rather than a top of the line "prosumer level" 1Password 7, with more features than I need. It is not unlike how some people wanted an updated iPhone SE, rather than an iPhone X. It was just a comment / feedback, which you can choose to ignore, or to chalk it up as one instance of someone wanting a budget-friendly alternative with less features, say a "1Password Lite".

2. There was some misunderstanding here, stemming from point [1] above. I am of course aware that all previous versions are available for download. Otherwise I would not have been able to download version 2 just now, even if it was hard for me to find (Googled for it in the end). Kudos to Agilebits for having a legacy download page though. (The link you provided for version 0.8.0 is broken at least for external users.)

3. There was some more misunderstanding here, again stemming from point [1]. I am in agreement that versions go through a life cycle. They cannot be supported indefinitely. I even mentioned this in my second email. This is the industry standard and I have no problem with this.

4. When it comes to pricing, here are my comments.

• Subscription: This is unsuitable for me.
    • License, full price: Again, I think there is some misunderstanding. I am not criticising your pricing. I only stated that this is outside of my budget. It is very expensive to me. This is a comment about what I can afford, not whether your product is fairly priced or not.
    • License, discounted price: Again, more misunderstanding. I simply commented that the sale price is all that I can afford. $50 is a strong psychological barrier for many people including me. I am sure you know this, or else you would not have set the sale price at this price point. If you do not want feedback or anecdotal data on your pricing, then I will refrain from making any further comments in this area.
    • I came here for technical support. I found that your subscription scheme is unsuitable for me. You notified me that I can still buy a license instead, which is on sale. Great, let's leave it at that.
    1. Thanks for letting me know about how to buy the license. I have downloaded and installed 1Password 7, but I have not migrated the vault yet. Will see how that goes.

(Being more careful this time, to avoid misunderstanding, I re-read what I wrote and made multiple edits. For the second time, I accidentally made the entire post disappear. Luckily there is a copy cached so I didn't have to retype it all. I hope they won't reappear all together later, or else it would be very confusing why I posted/ spammed three times!!)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Guest_DX

I am of course aware that all previous versions are available for download. Otherwise I would not have been able to download version 2 just now, even if it was hard for me to find

You may indeed be aware of it - and I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for! - but not everyone else who finds their way to these pages will be aware of that. So, when someone says something like "old versions are no longer available" which is simply not the case, we need to make sure things are clear not just for the benefit of the poster, but for anyone else reading afterwards.

Regarding pricing, here again, I'm writing not only for you, but for others who not just might but ARE reading these threads. As a result, if it seems like I'm trying to argue with your assessment of what seems best for your own situation, my apologies. I'm definitely not trying to tell you what's best for you. I'm trying to make clear for everyone's benefit (including yours), what is and isn't likely to happen on our end, what our recommendation is (and a bit about our thinking as to why), and that's it. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. :)

Let us know if you have any questions or run into any difficulties getting set up in 1Password 7 for Mac, and welcome to the current 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.