Need ability to open

Abhijit
Abhijit
Community Member

Requirement: Need one password to open the PDF files protected with passwords. The name format of the file is same every month, the password is same every month.

The use cases includes:
1. Credit Card Statements PDF files
2. Bank Statements
3. Mobile Service Provider Invoice
4. GAS connection Bill.
ETC.

Note:The password pattern is normally decided by the vendor in this case like first four letters of name + date of birth in specific format etc.

Suggestions:

1.Recognize the file name pattern based on say five files given as inputs, take the password and remember. Next time same file opened with the same naming pattern detect and offer the password.

1. If it is possible then provide an ability to store some generic passwords assigned to specific keys and one can try them to open the files.

I totally understand this is very high level requirement and suggestion and one really needs think through completely.

Thanks,
Abhijit

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Abhijit

Definitely an interesting idea. It would be incredibly time consuming to build, though, and so I have to wonder how many people would benefit from it and by how much. For me personally only one of my monthly statements comes in password protected PDF form, and I usually just avoid looking at that and review the account on their website instead. To do this we would need to build PDF parsing into 1Password, which is something there are entire applications dedicated to. It seems in my mind to be a tall order. But certainly if there is enough demand for it we can consider it. :)

Ben

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks for reviewing Ben! This is very common in my country. Even important PDF docs, tax documents are all password protectted and with standard password format. And anywhere passwords come for me 1Passwords come. I agree technical feasibility and demand are the drivers.

Can we provide an ability to store passwords agnostic of the site or login etc. And I should be able to input that stored password whenever and wherever I want to by selecting it or pressing any shortcut key etc. I can address the uses cases where passwords like first four letters of name + date of birth in specific format. And I can tag them with what they are linked to like CC statement etc. But I should be able to enter them in PDF pw entry pop up window.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• I think something along those lines is more likely to be the solution here. It seems to make much more sense to invest the time to build a solution that'll work "anywhere," vs something specific to PDF documents. 1Password 4 for Windows had a solution like that called "auto-type." Hopefully something like that will be possible again in the future. :+1:

Ben

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thanks! Agreed on "auto-type". Now is that in pipeline, roadmap, near future for 7? :) And does it already have for Mac?

Thanks,
    Abhijit

• We do plan to bring auto-type to 1Password 7 on Windows in a future update (when, I couldn't say). There are no plans for the Mac currently but that may change. :)

Ben

• Abhijit
    Abhijit
    Community Member

Thank you Ben!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.