1Password7 - second MacBook - problems with license

Options
JayneTaylor
JayneTaylor
Community Member

I have recently purchased 1Password7 (standalone license).

Syncing through Dropbox from MacBook Pro/iPhone X

Using Safari browser with built in browser extension.

Installed 1Password7 on my home MacBook and all seemed well but now it's acting like a 'read only' file. Screen asks me to add the following information

sign address
email address
secret key
master password

If I try logging in without a secret key, which apparently I don't need with this license, and I get secret key required form error.

Apparently if you have a standalone license you don't need to sign in but I can't bypass this.

Can anyone please help?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @JayneTaylor! I'm sorry for the trouble. If you purchased a standalone license for 1Password 7 for Mac, first of all, thank you! :) Welcome to the current version of 1Password. Purchasing the license is only half of the equation, though: you need to apply the license in 1Password 7 for Mac itself. If you downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from that Mac App Store, that will explain why you can't license it: because (like all other apps from the Mac App Store), your download is tied to your Apple ID, not any external license. If this is the case, you'll need to:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    3. Delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac - Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to your Mac's Trash, then empty the Trash.
    4. Visit our downloads page and download our own version of 1Password 7 for Mac, and run the installer.
    5. If it's still in Read Only mode, locate the email containing your 1Password 7 license information, and download/install the license file, and install it by double-clicking

That should get you where you need to be. Let me know how that goes for you! :)

• JayneTaylor
    JayneTaylor
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Lars! Thanks for the welcome and answer.

No we didn't download the app from the app store. Purchased 1Password7 through your website and it's working beautifully on MacBook (Safari) and iPhone - syncing through Dropbox.

The problem came when accessing the vault through the second MacBook. It's syncing all the data but when we try to use the Safari extension on the second MacBook we get that 'read only' type message.

Apologies if I wasn't clear in my first message!

• JayneTaylor
    JayneTaylor
    Community Member
    Options

Actually I think I may have solved it!

Do I have to open the original email (with the certificate link in it) on the second computer and click the button in it to add the license to 1Password 7 on the second computer?

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @JayneTaylor. Please let us know if we can be of further help. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.