Sequestering only certain Logins

Options
AgileBurger
AgileBurger
Community Member
edited May 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

My setup:

1) Laptop 1: Highest risk for malware.

2) Laptop 2: Lowest risk of malware. (rarely online, etc)

3) iPhone: Not clear on malware risks with iOS. This device is most like #1 above as I do everything with it.

Goals:

Laptop 1: I'd like to remove 15 very sensitive logins from the 1Password install here.

Laptop 2: I'd like to have those 15 logins on the 1Password install here. It's fine having "everything" here too.

iOS: I guess im fine having all logins on this device. Prefer not to. But it could become a pain in the butt when I need one of the 15 logins. Which is rarely. Not sure how risky iOS is with Malware / Viruses / Keyloggers?

What steps do I need to take to accomplish these goals? Your opinion on the iOS malware/virus/keylogger risk?

Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Without knowing your sync method, @AgileBurger, it's impossible for me to answer this. Keeping items off one particular device would be wholly dependent on how you sync those items, so let me know how you sync (1password.com, Dropbox, etc.) and I can give you some ideas.

As for malware, etc. on iOS, Apple has a really strong security focus, but your risk of getting malware on your device is really more dependent on your habits than anything else. Do you use applications from outside the App Store? Do you download inherently risky files on this device? Security is much less about your OS and more about following best practices like only installing apps you trust, using strong unique passwords, avoiding risky sites that don't use HTTPS, and so on. Practice good security habits and your risk of malware is much less. Engage in risky behaviors and no security software is going to fully protect you. It is never safe to use a compromised device, no matter how many tools you use to help protect you.

• AgileBurger
    AgileBurger
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

"Without knowing your sync method, @AgileBurger, it's impossible for me to answer this."

As I was unaware that not knowing my sync method would render you completely unable to answer my question, I didn't include that information in my first post.

I figured you could still tell me what my sync methods need to be.... in order to accomplish my goals, but I suppose we can add an extra step to this process:

EDIT: Unfortunately I have now looked through every single menu item in 1Password and every single section inside "Settings" and there isn't a single area that says "SYNC SETTINGS" so I am unable to tell you what I am currently using.

Im going to assume that its there somewhere, but poorly, or improperly labeled with different words that are not obviously similar sounding. You asked for my sync method several times, yet these words are not used in any of your menus, so here I sit. Maybe you can direct me to where I find this information?

You can still just tell me what I need to be doing sync-wise to accomplish the goal. I am not married to any particular sync approach. I know I am not using DropBox as I don't have a DropBox account.

• It's possible with any sync method, @AgileBurger, but a bit different depending. Indeed, I could enumerate how to do so with each, but you'd then still find yourself having to determine your sync method to decide which option to use, so I figured it's better to ask in advance so I'm only giving you what you need.

If you're not seeing a sync option in your apps, that's likely because you're using a 1Password membership where we handle syncing for you. In this case, you have two options, based on your account type, which you can find by signing into your account in your browser. Click Billing your sidebar and you'll see your current subscription plan there.

If you have a family account

In this case, I'd suggest considering the limited devices as guests. You can invite yourself as a guest by using either a different e-mail address or an alias for your current address if your e-mail provider supports them (e.g. kate+guest@domain.com). You can then move all the items you want everywhere to a new vault shared with that guest keeping the items you was sequestered in your private vault. Any devices signed in with your own account will have everything, those signed in a guest will have only the data you've deemed less sensitive.

You can learn how to invite and share with a guest here: https://support.1password.com/guests/

If you need to create a new vault to share, a guide to do that is here: https://support.1password.com/create-share-vaults/

If you've already signed into your account on devices you want to be more limited, you can reset your apps on those devices and sign in with a guest account instead: https://support.1password.com/starting-over/

If you have an individual account

Individual accounts don't include the option to share with guests, so unless you'd like to upgrade to a family account, your best bet would be to create a standalone vault for those sequestered Logins. Since you posted here in the Windows category, I'm going to assume that laptop where you want everything is a PC, so here's how you'd do that in 1Password for Windows:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Choose 1Password > New vault on this PC.
    3. Give your vault a name and a password and choose a folder to sync it to. If you only one the one laptop to have access, you can choose any folder on your PC. If you want these items share with your iPhone, you'll need to use Dropbox, but you can do so with a free Dropbox account since you'll only be sharing between two devices. To use Dropbox sync, just make sure you've got the Dropbox app installed on your PC and signed in with your account. You can then choose your local Dropbox folder to sync to and these items will be able to sync to your iOS device.
    4. Click continue, then move any items you want sequestered to this new vault.

If you decide you do want these items on iOS, you'll need to add this vault to your iOS device once you've set it up. To do so:

1. Open and unlock 1Password for iOS.
    2. Tap Settings > Vaults, then scroll down and tap "Enable Standalone Vaults". Enter your Master Password when prompted and this will create a Primary vault for you on iOS.
    3. Tap "Sync with Dropbox", then tap the vault you created on Windows.
    4. Enter that vault's password that you created on Windows and you're set.

For what it might be worth, I personally have a PC that we use as a media box in our living room that definitely falls into the category of being a bit more risky. When I first started using 1Password, it was just me using it, and I actually upgraded to Families so I'd be able to add that PC as a guest and create a second guest account for us when we have someone house sitting for us before I even got my folks and my partner on board. For me, the value in not having to deal with syncing those items separately or have certain accounts that still had genuinely memorable passwords was enough that the upgrade was worth it. That's just me though – depending on what's important to you, you may prefer the standalone vault route and it's entirely up to you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.