What is the difference between 1Password X and 1Password for Mac

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User]
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering what is the difference between my 1Password X extension in Firefox and 1Password on Mac?

Thanks! Love 1Password by the way, switched from Lastpass, glad I did.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @Tomatoshadow2

1Password X requires a 1Password.com membership, and interacts with 1Password.com directly (instead of through 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows). It is possible to use 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows alongside it, but that isn't necessary. This makes it possible for folks on Linux or ChromeOS to use 1Password X. It also makes it possible for folks who may not be able to install applications but can add Chrome extensions to use 1Password.

1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac also have the ability to use our more traditional browser extensions. These extensions do require the desktop app in order to function, but can function without a 1Password.com membership. They can sync through iCloud or Dropbox via the desktop app.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

So 1Password X the extension, seems to make everything really easy and simple. Thanks Ben!

• Indeed it does. :) You're very welcome @Tomatoshadow2.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

@Ben Any chance I could have help with a password issue on citibank.com?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2018

Certainly. If you've searched the forum and haven't found an answer I'd suggest starting a new discussion in our saving and filling board:

Saving and Filling in Browsers — 1Password Forum

Ben

• KishoreBhargava
    KishoreBhargava
    Community Member

On a mac where 1Password is already installed, what would the recommendation be for the extension for Chrome, 1Password or 1PasswordX. I do have a 1Password account and use 1PasswordX on several other devices where I don't have 1Password installed. Just wondering if there is an additional advantage/disadvantage to using one over the other?

Thanks,

Cheers...Kishore

• It is really a matter of preference if you're using a 1Password membership. Personally I tend to like 1Password X. They do work and look a little bit differently and look a little bit different but the core functionality is the same. The primary differentiator is that the traditional extension requires the desktop application and can work with standalone vaults whereas 1Password X does not require the desktop application and cannot work with standalone vaults. You could certainly try each (only enable one at a time) and see which you like better.

Ben

• btownguy
    btownguy
    Community Member

Is one inherently more secure than the other? Specifically the thread about 1Password on a work computer got me thinking. If you did run 1Password on a work computer, would one version be preferred over the other?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@btownguy: As far as 1Password's security, they're the same. There are two reasons you might (not) want to use 1Password on a work computer one way or the other:

• Work computer accessible to someone else? Don't use 1Password there at all. They could maliciously or mistakenly collect your data as you access it. It's not safe to access anything sensitive where someone else could capture it -- whether that's at work, the library, or a friend's house.
    • Work computer accessible only to you, but restricted as far as what you can install? 1Password X is a good option there since it runs entirely in the browser. Many people cannot choose what apps they install/use, but browsers are (understandably) available to most.

So the security concern is a bit different from what I think you had in mind. Obviously some people need to access work stuff in 1Password even though they are in a situation where someone else could access it too. It's not something we can recommend, but one thing some folks do is setup a second 1Password account as part of a 1Password Families membership, etc. (which will have its own login credentials) with only work stuff in the vault. That way they're not putting all of their data (in the account they use for personal things) at risk just to access some things they need to for their job. That said, it's even better if the company gives you a 1Password Business account (which includes a 1Password Families account for personal use) if it's a tool you need to be productive. :)

• snappy
    snappy
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

As far as 1Password's security, they're the same.

Can you elaborate. I haven't used 1Password X before but my understanding is that it lives in the same memory space as Chrome. A dodgy extension or a nefarious javascript could potentially siphon away secrets from a vault right? But I guess the same could be argued if you have 1Password + browser extension, except you'd siphon via the extension.

I know browsers tend to be hardened because the attack surface tends to be huge, but I'm curious what's the serious worst case for both 1P + extension and 1PX.

Edit: Nevermind, I hadn't come across this link yet: https://support.1password.com/1password-x-security/

• Nevermind, I hadn't come across this link yet: https://support.1password.com/1password-x-security/

I'm glad to hear that helped. :)

Ben

• RonP
    RonP
    Community Member

I'm evaluating 1Password for use for my company. I prefer 1PasswordX User Experience as it directly allows the selection of the correct password as an overlay on the web page whereas when I use the 1Password extension (along with the Windows App) if I go to a web page that has a log in I have to click on the extension and select the relevant password, however, I noticed that 1PasswordX doesn't allow integration with Windows Hello. I'd like for users to have the option to use a fingerprint reader instead of typing in a password to log onto 1Password and this doesn't seem possible with 1PasswordX. Am I missing something?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

@RonP: You're not missing anything. 1Password X is designed first and foremost ro run entirely within the browser, so that, as Ben mentioned above, folks on Linux, Chrome OS, or restricted work computers can still use 1Password in their browser, even though they cannot use our native apps. But l longer term, we'd like to make it possible for 1Password X to integrate with 1Password for Windows, not only for things like Windows Hello, but to be able to benefit from other OS-level functionality as well (and, frankly, to not be limited to the browser).

• Solannis
    Solannis
    Community Member

So I am a bit confused here. From what I have read on this and other posts, 1Password X sounds like it is superior to 1Password in most respects, however my user experience tells me the opposite. I know this thread started with a much older post, but this is the thread I found when I searched for the difference between 1Password (non-X) and 1Password X.

First of all, with non-X (both the Chrome/Safari extensions as well as the full desktop client) on my MacBook Pro 15", when I want to open the vault, I can use my Touch ID to do so as long as I have already entered the Master Password after the initial (re)boot or a security timeout. With X, I am constantly forced to enter the Master Password even when I just did so a minute or so ago. Not that I don't know the password, but it was nice that the previous (older?) version didn't behave that way. OneTouch is a good and secure thing; not sure why it was abandoned in X.

In addition, when in a browser, when I wanted to add or edit a new Login entry in non-X, I could just do so (it opened the desktop client to do it, I am guessing) whereas with this newer version, it takes me to a new web page, which means waiting for a web page load time on a new browser tab I didn't want and shouldn't need.

I like the clean look of the newer X client, but with those behaviors being what they are, I am guessing I need to get rid of X and go back to the non-X version. Is there any future development that might bring X closer to the way the non-X version functioned while keeping the X look and feel?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Solannis:

First of all, with non-X (both the Chrome/Safari extensions as well as the full desktop client) on my MacBook Pro 15", when I want to open the vault, I can use my Touch ID to do so as long as I have already entered the Master Password after the initial (re)boot or a security timeout. With X, I am constantly forced to enter the Master Password even when I just did so a minute or so ago. Not that I don't know the password, but it was nice that the previous (older?) version didn't behave that way. OneTouch is a good and secure thing; not sure why it was abandoned in X.

The feature was not abandoned in 1Password X. It's currently available in 1Password X beta, if you would like to give it a try ;) You can find more information about it here.

In addition, when in a browser, when I wanted to add or edit a new Login entry in non-X, I could just do so (it opened the desktop client to do it, I am guessing) whereas with this newer version, it takes me to a new web page, which means waiting for a web page load time on a new browser tab I didn't want and shouldn't need.

This comes directly from the fact that 1Password X does not require the desktop app to work. Because of this, currently editing items requires the Web interface. We will continue considering adding features to 1Password X, but please remember that it's our latest extension and it's completely new, so it takes some time to build everything.

I like the clean look of the newer X client, but with those behaviors being what they are, I am guessing I need to get rid of X and go back to the non-X version. Is there any future development that might bring X closer to the way the non-X version functioned while keeping the X look and feel?

Certainly, 1Password X is undergoing heavy development as you can see from the changelog.

This discussion has been closed.