1pwd gives incorrect 2FA code in Brave browser

slobizman
slobizman
Community Member

I have been using the Brave browser on a Mac for a couple months now without any issues with 1pwd and the browser extension. Except in the last week or so. In the last week, 1pwd often has problems with 2FA. When I get to the part where I need to paste in the 2FA code, I do it and it does not accept it, telling me it's an incorrect code. When I restart the browser, it works again.

Is there an issue with 1pwd on Brave?

MacOS 10.14.4
Brave Version 0.63.48 Chromium: 74.0.3729.108
1pwd 7.2.5
1pwd extension 4.7.3.90

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.4
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! This isn't a browser or 1Password issue; rather, since the one-time password is generated using two things -- the saved TOTP secret and the current time -- and I'm betting you haven't made changes to what you've saved in 1Password, it's something outside of that. And since the only thing left is time at that point, that will almost certainly be the culprit --- unless there's a more serious issue with the computer itself. More than likely, setting the date/time/zone settings manually to the correct settings will resolve the issue immediately. Give that a try and let me know what you find.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

I did make sure that I pasted the code saved in the clipboard within seconds, so it's not that (if that's what you meant, not sure). And my Date and Time settings on my Mac are correct. And it would not be that anyway, as I can get it to work in other browsers when it doesn't work in Brave. And of course it works after I quit and restart Brave.

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

I also want to add, when the code from 1pwd doesn't work, if I pull out my Authy app on my iphone to get the code there that one does work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

HI @slobizman,

If you visit the time.is website on your Mac, does it tell you that the time on your Mac is off by more than 30 seconds perhaps?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman: Yep. With Auth that's all done on their servers. We're not running a server for purposes of managing time (among other things) because 1Password is designed to be able to function fully offline, and we don't want to know anything about how or when or where you're using it. It sounds like you didn't actually try setting the date/time/zone manually like I suggested. Please try that. ;)

• slobizman
    slobizman
    Community Member

Well, my clock was off by 1 minute, 37 seconds. In Preferences, it wasn't set to set the clock automatically; it is now. Sorry, I missed this before--it had "looked" right to me because it was so close to accurate, but when I tried the site ag_ana suggested, it showed me clearly how far it was off.

I assume that this is the fix then, although I still don't understand why it works sometime and sometimes not. But that's okay, as long as it works!

Thank you.

• Thanks for the update @slobizman. With TOTP being a time-based technology having very accurate time is essential. It can resist variation by a few seconds, but beyond that it will frequently fail to generate valid codes. Glad to hear you were able to get your clock in sync and hopefully that does indeed solve the problem.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@slobizman: In case it helps for context, most services using TOTP have codes generated in 30-60 second intervals, and will accept them within a grace period of 30-60 seconds on either side of that too. So it makes sense that you'd sometimes be successful if you were on the cusp, having a not quite two minute time difference. Anyway, just glad all is well again. :)

This discussion has been closed.