Window Hello log in option not available after reboot [Intentional, must unlock with password first]

Orinana
Orinana
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello!

I am using the Windows 1Password application and have activated to log in by using Windows Hello face recognition on a Microsoft Surface Pro. Whenever I restart the computer I have to manually log into the 1Password application by using my master password. The option to use Windows Hello is not there for the first time. Only when I log out then the option appear on the login screen. Is this a bug or a feature? I also evaluate the Dashlane and it's Windows application where this isn't a problem at all (but would really prefer the 1Password service).

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @Orinana,

Thanks for writing in.

This is intentional as we don't want to store any form of your master password on disk. When you unlock 1Password for the first time, we'll give Windows Hello a one-time unique key that it can use to unlock 1Password in successive lock sessions. You'll be asked for the master password once 1Password is terminated or your computer has rebooted, which meant the key that it had was no longer valid.

There's a good chance we'll be able to find a way to securely save the key on disk, so that you can keep using Hello on reboots but it may take a while before we're 100% sure that it is safe.

• philmayfield
    philmayfield
    Community Member

Looking forward to an update here. Its so much more convenient on a Mac with TouchId and only being required to input my master password occasionally. Typically in a session I'm not accessing a bunch of different websites that all need passwords. So being required to enter my master password once to enable Windows Hello authentication is pretty inconvenient.

• Thanks for your feedback, @philmayfield. As Mike mentioned, we're exploring options to make Windows Hello available at all times. We definitely understand it's a much more convenient way to use 1Password, we just want to make sure it's a safe way to use it as well. :+1:

• philmayfield
    philmayfield
    Community Member

@bundtkate of course, security is paramount and honestly I probably wouldn't have thought about it had I not had access to a Mac with TouchId as well (which is super convenient). Thanks for the response!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, all Macs with Touch ID or Face ID have a Secure Enclave chip that manages all of this securely, so we use that to enable the feature there. There is no equivalent we can depend on on all devices that support Windows Hello, but we'll continue to explore possibilities as things develop. Thanks for your interest! :)

This discussion has been closed.