Default to using secure desktop

Hello 1password folks.

Would it be possible to have an option that whenever the 1password app login is required, it defaults to using Windows secure desktop? I know that this is only one extra click for me each time, but it would be really helpful.

Thank you,
Andrew.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

I would also request the feature of a preference I can set to default to the secure desktop.

@asclark, did you know the keyboard shortcut CTRL-Enter will do the same as clicking on the shield to invoke the secure desktop? I think it was MikeT who gave me that tip.

• asclark
    asclark
    Community Member

Thank you @bkh , I didn't know that. Appreciated.

• Thanks for the feedback, @asclark and @bkh! This is a newer feature, so more options are certainly a possibility down the road. I'll pass your request along the team. :chuffed:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We don't have plans for that, but it's something we can consider for the future. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2019

The Secure Desktop feature has only limited utility. It offers protection against a very narrow attack vector -- namely, someone has access to your computer enough to log keystrokes (to try to capture the Master Password), but somehow cannot collect data as you access it (after unlocking yourself). I'm not sure I would call that "useless", but it does not have the security properties some people seem to imagine it does. It's just one option people can use, and that's why we present it as such. You don't have to use it if you don't see a value in it. If have reason to believe that you have a keylogger on your machine, you should not be using 1Password at all until you address that.

• Just to be clear, we do plan to add an option to default to Unlock on Secure Desktop in the future. We're just getting started for now, we want to make sure the core foundation for Secure Desktop is working as it is before we add more settings and features on top of it.

• lerokie
    lerokie
    Community Member

@MikeT - Looking forward to this feature. I am also in the boat of those that do the extra click (or extra type rather), just because I can, but it would love for it to be a default.

• :+1: :)

Ben

• bkh
    bkh
    Community Member

The Secure Desktop feature has only limited utility. It offers protection against a very narrow attack vector

With respect to security, the benefit is limited as @brenty states. However, by preventing other software from stealing keyboard focus while I'm in the middle of entering my master password when I launch 1Password during the flurry of activity shortly after logging in, it saves me from having to regain focus and re-enter my master password. So for me the Secure Desktop feature is very helpful, and that's why I would like the option to have it by default when I launch 1Password.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That's an interesting use for it. Thanks for mentioning it! :)

This discussion has been closed.