1Password does not run on Windows 10S -> e.g. on Surface Go

Options

Hi,
just ordered the family extension of 1Password to allow my son using it on his new Surface Go.
Microsoft provides this with the new Windows 10S operating system. It is more secure und limited to install Microsoft App Store Applications only. Free Applications could not be installed. I know, that I can switch off the "S" mode und change to a full Windows 10. But this is not an option cause of the negative impact on Security and accu time.

The Microsoft Edge Extension of 1Password is available in the Microsoft store - and therefor I can install in Windows 10S.
But without the main 1Password Application the extension did not run.

Question: Do you have an plan, to integrate the 1Password Main Application also in the Microsoft Store to make it available for Windows 10S users?

Thanks

Dietrich

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Current Windows 10S
Sync Type: 1Password Family Cloud
Referrer: forum-search:windows 10 s

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

just ordered the family extension of 1Password to allow my son using it on his new Surface Go. Microsoft provides this with the new Windows 10S operating system. It is more secure und limited to install Microsoft App Store Applications only. Free Applications could not be installed. I know, that I can switch off the "S" mode und change to a full Windows 10. But this is not an option cause of the negative impact on Security and accu time.

@DietrichFoerster: I don't know what "accu time" is, but you raise a good point. Probably for kids, Windows 10 S is a good option, to limit what they can install. I can't say we have a large contingent of children that are 1Password users though.

The Microsoft Edge Extension of 1Password is available in the Microsoft store - and therefor I can install in Windows 10S. But without the main 1Password Application the extension did not run.

That's correct. All of the login for saving and filling is in the main 1Password app. The extension just allows us to connect to the browser. It can do nothing on its own.

Question: Do you have an plan, to integrate the 1Password Main Application also in the Microsoft Store to make it available for Windows 10S users?

No. And you're only the second person I'm aware of who's expressed interest in using 1Password on Windows 10 S. But it's something we'll continue to evaluate. We have some ideas about how to allow people to use 1Password in different environments, and this is something that's on our minds as well. Thank you for weighing in! :)

• DietrichFoerster
    DietrichFoerster
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your fast answer!
    Please be aware that Microsoft provides the very new Surface Go with Windows 10S in default!
    So 10S is nothing for a very smal and special group of users.
    It will become a Standard for devices in the surface class cause of Securuty reasons and longer battery time!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your fast answer! Please be aware that Microsoft provides the very new Surface Go with Windows 10S in default!

@DietrichFoerster: Yep! We're aware. :)

So 10S is nothing for a very smal and special group of users. It will become a Standard for devices in the surface class cause of Securuty reasons and longer battery time!

It's possible that will prove to be the case in the future. But the Surface Go has been out for only about a month, so I think the jury is still out there. ;)

• WinPass
    WinPass
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password team. I just wanted to add that Windows 10 S is something that I personally want to use going forward in my SMB and 1Password is the only app that I can't make work in this new Windows environment. My suggestion, because you all don't get enough of those from fans and users of your product already lol, is to bring 1Password X to edge which will be in the store and natively work in 10 S since it doesn't require a companion legacy app. Just wanted to let you know I also am interested in 1Password working in 10 S mode :D

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@WinPass: The thought has occurred to us as well. Thanks for the feedback. ;)

• samgabbay
    samgabbay
    Community Member
    Options

Hey 1P. 1PX would be dope for Edge as i also have Windows S on my Lenovo PC and i cannot use 1P on it unless its the Web-Based Version.

• @samgabbay: That's definitely something we have in the back of our minds. While other projects are taking priority at the moment, we'd love to see it in Edge too. :chuffed:

• TimG1
    TimG1
    Community Member
    Options

Hi! Just received a new Surface Go and disappointed to learn I can't use 1password without taking out of S-mode. Another +1 for Windows 10 S. =)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @TimG1,

Thank you for chipping in! We'd love to see it in Edge, but we do not have anything to share at this point. I hope for your understanding. :)

Cheers,
    Greg

• joedelaney
    joedelaney
    Community Member
    Options

Hi 1Password team. Now that Microsoft has decided to switch the Edge browser to Chromium, will this not make it infinitely easier for you to release 1Password X for Edge... and therefore get around the Windows 10 S issue?

• Hi @joedelaney,

will this not make it infinitely easier for you to release 1Password X for Edge... and therefore get around the Windows 10 S issue

Considering that Microsoft originally said the current Edge version would support Chromium-based APIs the same way as Chrome and as we both know that wasn't the case, we cannot confirm anything until we actually see the new Edge version first. We don't have early access to anything at Microsoft, so we'll have to wait until they release the first public preview build we can figure out the next step.

Here's the problem, all signs point that Edge would be a full desktop app, not a simple UWP app anymore. So, how would it really work on Windows 10S and what would be its restrictions?

If we remove the Windows 10S from the question; if and that's a big if, it is truly a desktop app and is built on Chromium just like Chrome, then yes, it should be much easier. However, it may not be a quick port though; it again depends on what the differences will be between Edge and Chrome. After all, Firefox and Chrome has the same WebExtension API models and we ended up having to do a lot of custom work in Firefox to make 1Password X work the same way; I suspect we'll repeat this for Edge.

• sabretel
    sabretel
    Community Member
    Options

Note to 1 Password developers:

Another new 1Password user (and corporate tech adviser/buyer) evaluating 1password multi user plans. Since almost all new low end laptops (good for not only kids, but occasional business travelers, commuters, and VPN users) are now being shipped with Windows 10 S, it seems like it might be a good idea to do a little more than just "think about", "evaluate", and "keep in the back of your mind" if your are interested in what appears to be a growing market segment that Microsoft seems intent on driving.

• With the forthcoming changes to MIcrosoft Edge, @sabretel, we are actually moving towards a point where won't even need to think about it. 1Password X already works in the developer builds of Chromium Edge and doesn't require a desktop app at all. It's also really popular with our business customers as it allows them to provide their users with a completely consistent experience across a variety of operating systems. This only becomes more advantageous for larger enterprises that prefer to keep support for their users internal as much as possible since it allows their IT folks to learn just one system – 1Password X – rather than having to support different desktop apps on each operating system.

While this certainly wasn't the path we expected things to take and we will likely still consider the possibility of a Microsoft Store app, it does mean that folks on Windows 10S are going to have an option to use 1Password whether we decide to develop such an app or not. Of course, we love our native apps and definitely want to continue building and supporting them, but 1Password X provides a great option for folks who aren't able to use one of our native apps. Whether they're on Windows 10S, using a Chromebook, or enjoying one of the many flavors of Linux, 1Password X has them covered with no desktop app required. :chuffed:

• Finkployd
    Finkployd
    Community Member
    Options

It’s still 9 months later and no solution. Who knows when the Chrome version of Edge will be available in the store?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

@Finkployd: Microsoft's new Chrome-based Edge only came out in a preview release within the last month or so. As they announce their plans for their new browser as far as how extensions fit into their ecosystem, I'm sure there will be more to talk about. Until then, 1Password X seems to work just fine -- as Kate mentioned in her comments immediately preceding yours.

• Finkployd
    Finkployd
    Community Member
    Options

Is 1password x available in the windows store? The issue here is 1password on a Windows 10 S machine, which as far as I can tell is not possible in any way except using it in a browser window on edge.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Finkployd: Thanks for clarifying. Microsoft has discontinued the old Edge, which is why I thought you were referring to the new one. You can use the 1Password.com web interface in the old Edge, and I strongly suspect that you'll be able to use 1Password X once the new Edge is available on Windows 10 S.

• Finkployd
    Finkployd
    Community Member
    Options

My apologies, it turns out you CAN install the Edge beta channel even in Windows 10 S Mode (counterintuitively, it seems that is one binary it will allow you to download and install outside of the app store). The 1Password X Chrome store installs and works fine in this so we do currently have a workable (albeit beta) 1Password solution for Win 10 S beyond just using the website.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Finkployd: I totally didn't realize that either. Thanks for letting me know! I guess it makes some sense because Microsoft can validate their own security by checking the browser's code signature. Very cool. :)

• aktive0
    aktive0
    Community Member
    Options

Hi. Checking in on this and seeing if there has been any movement or current solutions. I have a new surface go and trying to see if I can leave it in S mode and use 1password. I couldn't figure out how to install 1p X into edge. Thanks!

• You can't install 1Password X in stable Edge, @aktive0, but you can install it in beta Edge and my understanding is that you also can run Insider builds of Windows apps in S Mode so beta Edge should be an option. 1Password X remains a Chrome extension for now so I'm not totally sure that you'll be able to install it in Edge beta in S mode (I don't have a 10S device myself to test it out), but I do have some memories of finding posts on Reddit that implied it was possible. Assuming you can install the beta version of Edge and are okay with that, you will need to enable extensions from other stores. Choose ... > Extensions and there's a toggle in the bottom-left to allow extensions from other stores. From there, you can grab 1Password X from the Chrome Web Store and cross your fingers.

I'd be really interested in your findings as well. If it works for you, I'd love to hear about it!

• aktive0
    aktive0
    Community Member
    Options

Yep, got it to work!
    I downloaded Beta Edge from Beta Edge insider channel (https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download), installed, and then enabled extensions from other sources. Then went to Chrome store in Edge Beta and installed 1p X

Thanks! - Quick followup: Does 1p X support syncing from Dropbox vaults also?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@aktive0: Glad to hear you got it setup! :) :+1:

1Password X depends on the 1Password membership service, so it won't work with any local vaults though, only 1Password accounts.

• saschaheller
    saschaheller
    Community Member
    Options

Why not publish the current 1Password desktop app also via the Microsoft Store (the app store built into Windows 10); not a UWP app, but rather your current PC version? Apple has published iTunes, the entire Microsoft Office suite is also published on the Microsoft Store. As a result, these desktop applications are available also to PCs running Windows 10 S (and anyone else that prefers the security and convenience of using just one trusted source for installing and updating PC software).

• My understanding was that all apps on the Windows Store must be UWP, @saschaheller, but I did some reading and it seems that for games, at least, Win32 is now being accepted. I don't know how far that exception extends, though, and it may well not allow us to publish the current 1Password desktop app to the Windows Store. There's a specific section for games, after all, so this could easily be a games-only decision by Microsoft. While that's certainly an interesting move and likely worth keeping an eye on, for the moment your best bet on 10S is still 1Password X in beta Edge. Anything more would require that things have changed more than it appears they have at a glance so I wouldn't bank on the desktop app's availability there any time soon, if at all.

• saschaheller
    saschaheller
    Community Member
    Options

Dear @bundtkate, for some time now, any Win32 application can be published on the Microsoft Store (aka Windows Store). Check out iTunes and Evernote as two examples.

Here are two developer oriented resources from Microsoft describing the process:
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bridges/desktop
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/desktop/desktop-to-uwp-root

I hope these are helpful!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

We'd have to give up integration with all browsers except the soon-to-be-old Edge in order for 1Password to be in the Microsoft Store, and that's not a sacrifice nearly anyone would be willing to make -- even if 1Password was entirely Win32, which it is not. :)

This discussion has been closed.