Does updating the login URL (companyname.1password.com) change the user's login experience?

kh1pass
kh1pass
Community Member

Wondering what happens when we change the URL? Does a new secret key get generated and we need to update all the devices with a new secret key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:customer care

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kh1pass: No other credentials will be changed (though you can certainly change them for your account if desired). You may just be prompted to re-enter your (new) account details depending on the version. Going forward, each person just needs to use the new sign in address and they'll be all set. :)

• kh1pass
    kh1pass
    Community Member

@brenty , can you clarify what you mean by "(new) account details"? I assume our email and password, but do we need the secret key as well? (Thanks! We're trying to figure out how to write this email announcement, and since we can't test this, we'd prefer that nothing breaks!)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@kh1pass: You will need all of the current account details any time you sign in. But in this case, as I mentioned, unless you go out of your way to change the Master Password or Secret Key, those will remain the same; the new thing will be the sign in address, if that's been changed. I would include the following in the email announcement:

• Tell people to make sure they have their account credentials handy in case they need to sign in anywhere.
    • Announce the new sign in address, which will replace the original URL.
    • Have them save a new copy of their Emergency Kit after the change, in case they ever need it, since that will then include the updated sign in address.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• kh1pass
    kh1pass
    Community Member

super useful - thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kh1pass - on behalf of brenty, you're quite welcome! Glad he was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.