Master password no longer working..?

Options
Nacnud
Nacnud
Community Member

Hi,
The master password that I've been happily using for eons is no longer being accepted. Did something change recently that I missed?

(1Password
Version 6.8.8 (688001)
Mac App Store)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Nacnud! 1Password can't simply decide to change your Master Password without your express intention to do so. Did anything change in the meantime? Re-installing either 1Password or anything else? Creating a 1password.com membership/account? Getting a new computer and installing 1Password on it (or doing a clean install of the operating system)? What steps are you taking, specifically, and are there any other devices on which your Master Password still works?

• Nacnud
    Nacnud
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Lars. Nothing changed with my local configuration.
    I've resolved the situation by restoring a backup from several days prior.
    The restored version now takes my master password.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Nacnud - excellent! Glad you were able to get it sorted out that way. It's an important tip, that if your Master Password has changed and you can't remember the new one or it isn't accepted, you can restore a backup from a time when you DO remember the Master Password being accepted, and it will work. Backups are encrypted with whatever the Master Password was at the time of the backup, not with whatever is current. Cheers! :)

• zeropegleg
    zeropegleg
    Community Member
    Options

I've been struggling with my 1password as well. it no longer takes my password I've been using for eons as well. I haven't figured out how to restore from backup and I'm now on a trip w/ my backup Mac and have just downloaded 1password on this new Mac. I've been using dropbox to store my 1password file. However, when I try to "sync using dropbox"... I can open up the dropbox folder location but I don't see my 1password file. Just see this "1Password.agilekeychain". 33MB file. And, further, this file is greyed out so I cannot select it. it's created date is Jan 23, 2017, so it seems like this is my original file.

Unfortunately, I don't have another backup file to work from. Is this the correct file to use? any other options to get it to try to use this file? what file extension is 1Password looking for?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zeropegleg: An AgileKeychain vault isn't supported in the current version of 1Password, only older ones. You'd need to setup the app with a vault/account and then use File > Import > 1Password Keychain to add the data from that.

• zeropegleg
    zeropegleg
    Community Member
    Options

I'm confused. I just downloaded 1P from the App Store and fired it up. the opening wizard only allows me 2 options:

1) Used 1P before (choose an existing file) - BUT THAT WON'T WORK AS IT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE MY OLDER 1P FILE

2) Start a free trial - BUT THAT WON'T WORK EITHER AS IT WON'T ACCEPT MY EMAIL BECAUSE IT'S ALREADY BEEN USED.

any idea what I need to do in order to "setup the app w/ a value/account"??

thanks for your help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@zeropegleg - if you've previously owned 1Password from the Mac App Store, this is not the same thing as 1Password 7 for Mac, which is what it sounds as if you downloaded this time. 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version and as such, requires either a 1password.com membership or the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version.

However, you said "it won't accept my email because it's already been used" in reference to a 1password.com membership. That makes me think you may have a 1password.com membership already. If you visit https://start.1password.com/signin in a browser, are you able to sign in using your current Master Password?

This discussion has been closed.