1Password online for vault only

Hi, Probably the wrong topic to write it but don't know what would be the correct one. I do have 1Password 7 for windows and Android. I don't like the subscription models and prefer my dropbox sync. Though the company that I am currently working has blocked access to dropbox and as of now I was using another technique to sync my vault. Now, that is patched too. Are there any plans to offer online space (less than 10MB) only for vault? I know the subscription models grants access to software, but would you consider either a free or much lower paid solution for that kind of stuff? Also, any chance to support google and/or onedrive as you do with dropbox? Ideally would be without the desktop sync apps needed for those. So for example if someone wants to go to another sync solution (or his own) without much hassle. That way everyone would be happy

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimger,

Thank you for getting in touch and participating in the forum! :+1:

First of all, I would like to point out that 1Password membership is not only about the access to software. There is a lot of other benefits (comparing to the local vaults that you sync via third-party solutions) and you can learn more about those advantages on our website:

About 1Password membership

The unreliability of a third-party sync is one of the reasons why we introduced 1Password membership accounts. With them we have control over everything and are able to make the sync seamless and reliable. If my understanding is correct here, you want to see us storing your local (?) vault on our servers, so you
    could access it from different devices. It means that you trust us (or Dropbox in this matter) to store and sync your data. Is this correct? But if you trust us to store and sync your data, why don't you want to give 1Password account a try? :)

But, back to your question: I am not aware of any plans to introduce a feature that you are suggesting, especially now when we have our amazing 1Password membership that allows you to do much more than just syncing your data, but I will pass your feedback and suggestion to our team. If you have any other questions, feel free to raise them. This is what our forum is for. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Well mainly now cost control, I like owning the software and not depend on specific third party. +Now that I have purchased the software I do need I don't wanna pay subscription (And in general I don't like subscriptions). That's why I was asking if u have any plans of that kind. I don't need the extra features.

• A free or lower cost tier is something we might consider, @jimger, but I don't see it as likely. 1Password is already cheaper than a Starbucks a month at $3.99/mo and even cheaper than that when paid annually ($2.99/mo). Someone subscribing at a lower cost with fewer features would still likely generate the same support load that a "premium" individual account would as well. Since that's where most of the cost of building and maintaining software comes from – support – we have to consider what price point allows us to provide the kind of service that meets our standards. We could offer a tier without access to support, but for something as important as the data you store in 1Password, that just doesn't seem like a reasonable thing to offer. You need to know you'll have help when you need it.

That more customers means a higher support cost is also why most free software still has a revenue generating component. Whether it's loot boxes or ads or data sharing – you are paying for every piece of software you use in some way. So long as companies inform their customers of this fact, that's fine by me too. We all have the choice to tolerate ads for the sake of our wallets and it's something I do in many cases as well. But it's not something we're interested in doing with 1Password. We are funded solely by our customers. Our focus is also not only on security, but privacy, and we will never harvest or sell data about our customers to fund operations. We make our money in the only way that allows us to respect those commitments – by building a product that each of you feels is worth paying for, whether by purchasing a license or signing up for a 1Password membership. This does mean that a significant subset of folks who are okay with ad-funded products will end up choosing something else and we're okay with that. We certainly hope folks see enough value in 1Password to subscribe and we'll always be working hard to make 1Password better for more people, but our core values of privacy and security over all are unlikely to change and that means 1Password needs to be a paid service.

Of course, I don't ultimately make these decisions and I'll certainly be happy to pass your feedback along to the team. But given my own experience here and what I know about the philosophies of those who do make these decisions, I wouldn't expect free or limited tiers to come to fruition. Hopefully, your license continues to serve you well if that's the model that works best for you, and we're eternally grateful for your support regardless. All the same, I do hope you'll consider a 1Password membership one day. :chuffed:

• jimger
    jimger
    Community Member

Well I didn't mention free. I suppose and do hope that most money of the membership go for the maintenance, support and developing. That said, I mentioned that personally I was looking a way of storing data somewhere safe on cloud that has integration with 1password. That's 1password. Com. I do believe also that u were making money long time before memberships. So the whole essay about selling data doesn't apply much imho. I do understand that a product needs money. That's why I paid through a very fair amount for each license. I do understand u might not support it, but it isn't relevant to what u said about privacy. Membership as mentioned grants u access to software at any device + more. I don't need that.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jimger,

I can understand where you are coming from, but we are unable to disclose or share any future plans. If you are interested in 1Password membership account, but purchased a license for 1Password 7 for Windows, please send us a message and we will see what we cad do for you, so you won't pay twice.

Right now, 1Password 7 for Windows supports syncing to our 1Password membership service, Dropbox, and folders that you can sync yourself to other computers. All of the available sync options for local vaults are listed on our website here, so if they get blocked at your workplace, I am afraid there is not much we can do about it. I hope for your understanding.

If you have any other specific questions about 1Password membership accounts, we are ready to answer them. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.