Family vault not showing up for other family members

baggend
baggend
Community Member

I have a vault called "Family" which I believe was automatically created when I first signed up. The description for it reads:

"Everyone in your family can view and edit items in this vault."

But the vault itself doesn't have any sharing settings, and none of my other family members can see it or any of the items I put in it. I created a separate shared vault (called "Shared") and added my family members to it and that one works fine.

So is the other one just broken, or is that an old feature that is no longer being used? And if so, should I delete that vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @baggend!

Can you please share a screenshot of the sharing settings for your Family vault?

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

So that's kind of the thing. It doesn't actually have any sharing settings. But I definitely didn't create it, so I'm guessing it was automatically created for me when I first set up my account. (I've been using Families since the beta, so it's possible this was just an old feature that got removed at some point?)

Here's the screenshot:

The only thing under "More Actions" is "Delete Vault".

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@baggend - Huh, that's definitely odd. We've never had a default vault called "Family," not even in the very beginning. You were one of the REALLY early adopters (thanks! :) ) but remember, so were we -- I've had my 1Password Families account as long as you, and I've never seen any such thing.

There are a couple of possibilities here:

• You perhaps had another user who might have changed the name of the default Shared vault? This person would've had to be a Family Organizer -- maybe a now-deleted user? Or perhaps you changed the name long ago (possibly years) and have forgotten you did so?
    • Another user created this "Family" vault as just any other user-created vault. If they didn't specifically invite you to share it, you wouldn't have noticed it existed unless/until you signed into the account in a browser, where you can access the administrative functions of being a Family Organizer, and you can see all the vaults listed.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely this "Family" vault is the original "Shared" vault, just renamed by someone - you or someone else. Way back then in the beginning, users were added by name to the Shared vault, which may also explain why none of your current users have access to it -- because these days, it's done through membership in the Family Members group. All things considered, I'd say you're probably best off just doing what you have been doing: using the new "Shared" vault you created. Just make sure (since you're apparently the only person with access to this vault) that you transfer any data you need out of it into other vaults, then go ahead and remove it, and you should be good to go.

• baggend
    baggend
    Community Member

It's very possible that I renamed it at some point and just forgot about it. And what you said about how membership used to be handled makes perfect sense. I just moved all of the items out of it into the "real" shared vault I had set up recently and deleted that vault. Thanks for the help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! Glad Lars was able to point you in the right direction. :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I am having the same problem, although my vault is named “Teams” and as far as we can tell, only the most recently added family member cannot access it. I was also an early adopter and my personal account got changed from a Team to a Family account when that change happened. Are you saying that the old default shared account no longer works and I should create a new all shared folder and delete the original one?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

One other note, the member who does not see Team, sees “Private” instead of “Personal.”

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jonanscher:

Are you saying that the old default shared account no longer works and I should create a new all shared folder and delete the original one?

Yes, perhaps the easiest way would be to create a new vault and move your data from your Teams vault to your new vault, so you can change the permissions for it as you see fit.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2020

Is there a way to create a new vault that all members are automatically added to? Quite honestly, it seems very odd that the solution is to delete a feature of your software... Or is what you are saying that that feature is now deprecated and new Family accounts don’t get that vault?

Also, why does she have a “Private” vault but no “Personal” vault?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jonanscher:

Is there a way to create a new vault that all members are automatically added to?

I don't think this is possible, sorry.

Also, why does she have a “Private” vault but no “Personal” vault?

Private and Personal are two different names for the same vault. I think we changed the name in the past to make it clearer that data stored there is only accessible to its owner.

This discussion has been closed.