1.15 - New 1Password X - Easily Access Credit Card/Identity Logins

I am saddened to see that the new macOS Mini design utilizing the Category dropdown (which seemingly cannot be opened without clicking on it) and removing easy access to Credit Card and Identity items has now also made its way to 1Password X (which is what I use on my work Windows machine). I have a backup that thankfully will let me use the old design for now.

Unlike the desktop extension, 1PX has a dropdown that will usually service the right content, so it's definitely not as bad as the new macOS mini in that sense, though I find this can often fail with credit cards. For example, it might show up on the field asking for the number and input it there...but then not fill in the expiration date or CSC, so I have to launch 1PX manually and then select it for autofill.

Being asked to search for our credit cards or ID fills by name is not a great solution. It essentially mandates that users name these items in a certain way in order to be easily obtainable and that they recall what they named it when they want to search for it. For example, the ID fill. I don't know about anyone else, but my ID is saved under my name. As you can imagine, starting to type my name in the search brings up several logins, particularly ones associated with work because my work email is essentially my name. Even starting to type "ID" brings up a bunch of logins with "id" somewhere in the fields. Starting to type "Identity" does not bring up the Identity logins. So now, I have to create some unique special name for my Login ID just to be able to find it without having to click through to the category dropdown menu.

With cards, the first thing that came to mind was to simply type "Card", but a) the search matching doesn't work on categories; b) the name for my card doesn't actually have card in it (it is named after the bank/account the card is attached to); and c) it also brought up other logins with the word card into the name or URL. So then I start typing in the bank that the card is affiliated with...which brings up the bank website login in addition to the card. I can't really think of a way to name it that isn't going to require I type several letters or just memorize some special custom identifier and name it that (and for the longest, I never really cared about what things are named in 1P because I never really had to...in fact, until recently I had a lot of logins named something like "Welcome - Login" because that was the name of the page when 1P offered to saved the login and I just hit OK).

I know the macOS team is reportedly finding ways to address the lack of easy access to Credit Card and Identity in the new macOS mini, so just putting out there that I hope that can be done in 1 Password X as well.

1Password Version: 1PX 1.15.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @andmade – first off, I want to thank you for taking the time to write a detailed, constructive post like this one. It means a lot that you're dedicated to 1Password and that you want to make it better for everyone. I'd like to address each of your questions in line just so I don't miss anything.

I am saddened to see that the new macOS Mini design utilizing the Category dropdown (which seemingly cannot be opened without clicking on it) and removing easy access to Credit Card and Identity items has now also made its way to 1Password X (which is what I use on my work Windows machine). I have a backup that thankfully will let me use the old design for now.

Thank you for the feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that. This is typically where I'd explain that Credit Card and Identity items will appear as Suggestions when you need them, but I'll touch more on that in my next point. I wanted to mention that you can choose not to update to the redesigned popup if you wish – just choose Not Now when you see the banner right after you install version 1.15.0.

Unlike the desktop extension, 1PX has a dropdown that will usually service the right content, so it's definitely not as bad as the new macOS mini in that sense, though I find this can often fail with credit cards. For example, it might show up on the field asking for the number and input it there...but then not fill in the expiration date or CSC, so I have to launch 1PX manually and then select it for autofill.

That's correct! How the Suggestions work is this: If there's a fillable card number field on the page, 1Password X will suggest a Credit Card item. If there's a name/address field on the page, 1Password X will suggest an Identity item. If you're finding that 1Password X doesn't fill an expiration date or CVV on a site, please do let us know so we can get that fixed.

Being asked to search for our credit cards or ID fills by name is not a great solution. It essentially mandates that users name these items in a certain way in order to be easily obtainable and that they recall what they named it when they want to search for it. For example, the ID fill. I don't know about anyone else, but my ID is saved under my name. As you can imagine, starting to type my name in the search brings up several logins, particularly ones associated with work because my work email is essentially my name. Even starting to type "ID" brings up a bunch of logins with "id" somewhere in the fields. Starting to type "Identity" does not bring up the Identity logins. So now, I have to create some unique special name for my Login ID just to be able to find it without having to click through to the category dropdown menu.

With cards, the first thing that came to mind was to simply type "Card", but a) the search matching doesn't work on categories; b) the name for my card doesn't actually have card in it (it is named after the bank/account the card is attached to); and c) it also brought up other logins with the word card into the name or URL. So then I start typing in the bank that the card is affiliated with...which brings up the bank website login in addition to the card. I can't really think of a way to name it that isn't going to require I type several letters or just memorize some special custom identifier and name it that (and for the longest, I never really cared about what things are named in 1P because I never really had to...in fact, until recently I had a lot of logins named something like "Welcome - Login" because that was the name of the page when 1P offered to saved the login and I just hit OK).

Would you mind going over some specific use cases where you've needed this? I'd like to know where 1Password X isn't suggesting a Credit Card or an Identity when you need it so we can work on the underlying problem.

I know the macOS team is reportedly finding ways to address the lack of easy access to Credit Card and Identity in the new macOS mini, so just putting out there that I hope that can be done in 1 Password X as well.

Thanks! I believe that using Suggestions is our way of having easy access to a Credit Card or an Identity exactly when you need it. If you're finding you need it in other places, please do let us know so we can discuss it with our team.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Hi @kaitlyn,

Thank you for responding!

Thank you for the feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that. This is typically where I'd explain that Credit Card and Identity items will appear as Suggestions when you need them, but I'll touch more on that in my next point. I wanted to mention that you can choose not to update to the redesigned popup if you wish – just choose Not Now when you see the banner right after you install version 1.15.0.

I imagine this is temporary, but it's great this option is here for now!

Would you mind going over some specific use cases where you've needed this? I'd like to know where 1Password X isn't suggesting a Credit Card or an Identity when you need it so we can work on the underlying problem.

Part of the inspiration for this post was my experience purchasing the Keychron K1 keyboard here: https://www.keychron.com/. When I focused in the credit card number field, I got the 1PX field dropdown for my credit card. Once I selected it in the dropdown, it filled in the number, but did not fill in the subsequent name, expiration date, and security code fills. On the new UI in 1.15.0, launching 1PX with the shortcut doesn't suggest the credit card fill and instead showed all my logins. On the old UI, however, launching the shortcut auto-highlights my credit card (I imagine it is set to highlight the first item, which was my CC because I have no logins for this site) and pressing enter then fills in all the credit card details. So, it seems 1P technically could fill the CC details correctly, but for some reason it did not do so via the field dropdown.

Another example is checking out at Knitpicks https://www.knitpicks.com. The 1Password X dropdown will show my identity when tabbing to input my address, etc, but if I launch it via the shortcut (which I often do out of habit from using the desktop version on macOS and its sometimes quicker than waiting for the dropdown) then the Identity fill is not there. It's the same way with the Credit Card details: shows up on the field focus, doesn't on the extension popup. (I also have the same behavior in the new macOS 7.3b mini, which does not have the field focus dropdown.)

On the Harry's website https://www.harrys.com, where I just recently re-subbed and had to add in an updated card, I can see that the Credit Card is showing in the Popup as a Suggestions when checking out, so that part seems to work fine there (though the ordering seems alphabetical inclusive of everything rather than separate like the old UI). On the other hand, starting a new account on this website surfaces no Identity items either in field focus dropdown or in the extension popup.

I think having CC/Identity fields in the Suggestions is a fine solution, that's the way it operated before the new UI. But previously they were auto-included as a suggestion regardless, whereas now 1P is only showing them if it concludes it should. The logic for this conclusion seems somewhat hit or miss, though, so it would be easier and more consistent if they just showed all the time.

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

That's weird, I had an entire comment here that has just completely disappeared. I hope the mods can resurface it...

• @andmade I see one comment from you that @kaitlyn replied to. Have you posted another since?

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

Yep! Below is what I can remember of what I wrote —

Hi @kaitlyn,

Thank you for responding!

I imagine this is only temporary, but's it great the option is included for now!

Part of the inspiration for this post was my recent experience purchasing the Keychron K1 keyboad here: https://keychron.com/. When checking out and tabbing to enter the credit card details, the 1PX field dropdown showed my CC item. After selecting it, however, it only filled in my credit card number. It did not fill in my name, expiration date, or the security code. On the new UI in 1.15, launching the extension popup doesn't show my CC items, it only shows all my logins. On the old UI, launching the extension popup has my CC highlighted (I imagine because it is the first item shown since I have no logins for this website) and pressing enter fills in all the CC information. So it seems that 1PX has the ability to field in the CC fields for this site, but for some reason has trouble doing so via the field dropdown vs the extension popup.

Another example is Knitpicks: https://knitpicks.com. Though I have 1PX, I often times will still launch the popup via the shortcut due to force of habit from using the desktop macOS version. When tabbing to the address section, the Identity item will show in the field dropdown and fill in correctly. It does not, however, show up in the extension popup. When getting the payment section, the CC will show when tabbing to the CC field and fill in all the fields. But, the CC item does not show up in the extension popup.

On Harrys (https://harrys.com/, where I recently re-subbed and had to update my card, the CC field dropdown surfaces my card and fills in the details correctly. It also shows in the 1PX popup as a Suggestion (though it appears all the items are sorted together alphabetically instead of separated by category, which I suppose some prefer). So on this website, the CC suggestion is working correctly. However, starting a new account on this website surfaces no Identity item fills either in the field dropdown or the extension popup. Though if I click through on the Category dropdown to Identity and select an Identity, 1P will fill in the Identity fields just fine.

I think having Credit Cards and Identity items in Suggestions is a fine solution, that's pretty much how it presented before. Before it looks like they were auto-shown regardless, while now 1Password will only show them if it concludes that it should, I'm guessing due to security reasons or it seems some people though the UI was too cluttered. However, the logic/code for deciding when to show them seems kind of hit and miss, so it would be easier and more consistent if they showed all the time.

• Hey @andmade! I'm not sure what happened earlier, as I see both your comment and then your comment where you pasted it a second time. At any rate, all your scenarios seem to boil down to the 1Password X pop-up not always showing credit cards or identities when you'd expect them to. We're looking to make additional changes in this regard quite soon, always showing all relevant credit cards and identities, much like you describe. This is already present in new beta; you can try it now if you'd like, if you're a Chrome user. :smile:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/79610/how-to-install-1password-x-beta-in-chrome#latest

This is mentioned in our release notes as a fixed issue:

The Suggestions view will suggest all relevant logins, credit cards, and identities for the current page

Let us know if this helps things work the way you'd expect them to once more. :smile:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@andmade: Sometimes it pays to just be patient. When you post multiple URLs to external websites, it's often going to get flagged by the spam filter for review. Sorry for the inconvenience, but it looks like it's sorted now. :)

• andmade
    andmade
    Community Member

@ag_mcarlyle and @brenty:

I tried the beta and it is working great with showing the credit cards and identities! Thank you so much for adjusting this, maybe I just buy too many things or visit poorly-coded websites, but it really does make it an easier workflow, especially with the keyboard!!

• Hey @andmade! Awesome! I'm happy to hear the beta sorts things out for you. ❤️

This discussion has been closed.