1Password Chrome extension v1.15.0 high memory usage (over 1 GB!)

Extremely high memory usage 1,167,576K. Seems to be working fine otherwise, not laggy or anything. Chrome was started after an OS restart about 3 hours ago.
Windows 10 Pro 1809
Chrome Version 74.0.3729.131 (Official Build) (64-bit)
1Password extension version 1.15.0

It'll probably go down if I restart Chrome, so I'm leaving it open now to help with any debugging.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.15.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Thank you for reporting this issue, @MonnyA.

I don't fully understand what is happening here yet but I believe this is a side effect of us moving a lot of our Go code to WebAssembly. I see my memory usage in Chrome on macOS has also increased, albeit no where near as much as what you're seeing. I'm currently sitting at 453MB. While that is high, after reading this issue that describes how Go is allocating 1GB of page space, I'm not sure why my numbers don't look closer to yours. I'm guessing Windows is doing things differently than macOS underneath the hood.

We have some plans on how to make this better and will roll that out as soon as we can. In the meantime, please go ahead and restart Chrome and see what happens to your memory footprint. It's certainly possible we have a leak but my gut tells me this is something about how the Go runtime behaves in the WASM environment. I'll share more once I dig deeper.

Thanks again!

++dave;

• MonnyA
    MonnyA
    Community Member

Hi, just restarted. Before restarting it was sitting at 1,170,952k. After restart, with only blank tab open, it was at 1,146,976k. I verified that this usage in Windows Task Manager. So I guess it is initially allocated and not a leak.

I should note that my laptop has 16GB memory with plenty to spare right now, so it's not impacting me much, but I'd imagine machines with less memory would not appreciate this memory hogging!

• sloot
    sloot
    Community Member

here to +1 this.
    1 Password X Chrome Extension on Windows. Both my home and my work PC are using over a gig of memory for the 1PasswordX Extension.
    If the ETA on fixing this is not within a week, is there a way to roll back to a previous version?

• Thanks for the update, @MonnyA. It's good to see things are consistent as it means it is not the result of a memory leak. It looks like things are quite different on Windows and the entire working buffer Go uses is allocated immediately. I'm glad to hear that this isn't affecting performance for you. At the same time, this is gross and we need to find a way to resolve this.

Give us a couple days to sort things out and get a new release out there. Thanks again for sharing!

++dave;

• We just released an update that should address this. Please give 1.15.1 a try and let us know how it goes.

++dave;

• MonnyA
    MonnyA
    Community Member

@dteare Got the update, now sitting at 65,712K, much better. Do you know how this compares to 1.14.0? (or whatever the previous version was)
    Thanks for acting so quickly.

• dteare
    edited May 2019

Great! Glad to hear things are back to normal. The numbers you mentioned there are inline with previous versions.

Thanks again for reporting this.

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.