Migrating secure notes from Dashlane

miles_mendoza
miles_mendoza
Community Member

Hi there

I switched from Dahlane to 1Password a couple of months ago and imported all my logins with no trouble.

I am now looking for some info that was stored as a secure note in Dashlane and that seems not to have migrated accross. On checking carefully, I now realise that my ex-Dashlane vault in 1Password contains only logins, and none of my secure notes have migrated.

Please advise how I can copy my secure notes accross to 1Password

Thanks
Miles

1Password Version: 7.1.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Chrome OS 73.0.3683.88 (Official Build) (32-bit)
Sync Type: unknown
Referrer: forum-search:import secure notes from dashlane

Comments

• Hi @miles_mendoza. 1Password on Android doesn't have support for importing from other password managers. Can you let me know what platform and version of 1Password you used to import the data? Only 1Password for Mac can import Secure Notes.

• miles_mendoza
    miles_mendoza
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hi @peri. I was using Windows 10 to import. Is there no way to do this using Windows?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@miles_mendoza: There are ways on either macOS or Windows, but you're going to have a bit of an uphill battle because the export is problematic in the first place. @MrC has made a converter that can help, but any tool -- 1Password, converter, or otherwise -- isn't going to be able to make sense of the data at all if its formatting isn't even internally consistent. There's a good discussion on this here. As an example,

these are just a sequence of characters. Example: which of those below is a the login and which is the password, and which are notes?

Jonas
    jonasuser
    jonas@example.com
    jonaspass
    jonasother

When the exports do not define the fields, they vary between item types, and you've got them all interspersed throughout, it's a bit of a mess. If you can isolate the "notes" in a separate, properly formatted CSV file, it should be pretty straightforward to convert it to 1PIF for import into 1Password, without you losing any (more) data. You may even be able to import the CSV directly in the 1Password.com web interface, but 1PIF is well-defined and so is more reliable.

• miles_mendoza
    miles_mendoza
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty - so in summary, would you recommend that I manually recreate my secure notes in 1Password rather than importing?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@miles_mendoza - How many do you have approximately?

• miles_mendoza
    miles_mendoza
    Community Member

@MrC Less than 20 in Dashlane :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019

@miles_mendoza ,

With so few, I would definitely just copy / paste into new Secure Notes items in 1Password. This will be your fastest option.

If you had a hundred or more items, that would be a different story.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah yeah. That makes sense. Probably faster to copy a couple dozen notes than modify/convert the export. :)

This discussion has been closed.