To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Unable to find account

imm1207
imm1207
Community Member

Hello,

I purchased 1Password back in June of 2014 and have never had any issues since I've always done iCloud restores and backed up to Dropbox as well as iCloud. I'm trying to sync with my Macbook and can't seem to find an account key anywhere to enable access in Chrome. Could you point me in the direction of how to find this information? It has nothing under 1Password Accounts for some reason but I know I paid for it, I still have the receipt and order number from then if it helps.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @imm1207

A 1Password account is a subscription service. If you don't have a subscription you wouldn't have an account. It sounds like you may have installed 1Password X, which is our browser extension for membership (subscription) service. You'll want to install the desktop browser extension instead if you're using a licensed copy of 1Password for Mac:

Download for Mac | 1Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• imm1207
    imm1207
    Community Member

I'm not sure what you mean by subscription service, since when I purchased the product it was nearly $20 and considered to be lifetime...

I do not have a "1Password Account" and have never been prompted to make one, but am able to access the app without issues and have never heard of having to pay for anything within the app.

It sounds like 1Password changed their business model AFTER I purchased a lifetime subscription 5 years ago, and if that's the case all I need to be provided is a new account/key/license that will allow me to sync on my Macbook.

I didn't not install 1Password X, it is 1Password 7 direct from your website:
    https://support.1password.com/1password-extension/
    It even verifies underneath and says I have the extension correctly installed.

The only other explanation is that you charge 2 subscriptions for 1 user to access 1 vault in both iOS and MacOS environments, which wouldn't make any sense considering the primary function of this app can be achieved with Freeware today... So I hope this is not the case.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imm1207: To be clear, we have never sold anything called "lifetime". We're not naive enough to think that we can work for the rest of our lifetimes for a one-time purchase made years ago. :)

When you purchase a license for a specific version of 1Password, that never expires, and you can, theoretically, use it for a lifetime. In practice, you're probably not going to want to use the same device, OS, browser, and 1Password until you die. You can, and it won't cost you anything more, but just like you've probably gotten a new computer at some point and paid for that, a new version of 1Password has a cost associated with it as well.

A 1Password membership subscription includes all of the apps and updates, so you would just need one, and you'd just sign into that account on all of your devices to access your data. The alternative is to purchase each version separately, but that means giving up things like automatic offsite backup and item history, web access, and many other benefits:

About 1Password membership

Certainly if the only thing you are looking for is a way to store information, there are tons of free options. But many people choose 1Password -- and choose to pay for it -- because it's the only thing we sell: we don't take advertising dollars, collect user information, or accept outside investment; that allows us to focus on security and privacy. I hope that helps clarify a few things, so you can decide what's the best fit for you. :)

• imm1207
    imm1207
    Community Member

So every time I get a new/additional device you’re going to charge $18 for a new license and then slap on a monthly subscription fee on top in order to access that data from another device because that device has a different OS? I’m not sure that makes any sense at all.

When you purchase a license for a specific version of 1Password, that never expires, and you can, theoretically, use it for a lifetime. In practice, you're probably not going to want to use the same device, OS, browser, and 1Password until you die. You can, and it won't cost you anything more, but just like you've probably gotten a new computer at some point and paid for that, a new version of 1Password has a cost associated with it as well.”

-Why would a consumer pay for the same application every time they upgrade? Their old device is likely wiped and no longer in the possession, so why would that license just disappear? That is just greed. Not even Microsoft charges for reusing a license on a new machine. Also, considering I only purchased a license one time in 2014 and have gone through about six devices since then, I can verify that your statement is completely wrong. I have never been prompted on any new device to purchase a new license or anything of the sort. I have never been told that I no longer have access to any of my information because I’m accessing through a different device, serial number, IMEI, anything of the like. So going out of your way in the forum to state that every time I get a new device I’m going to have to purchase a new license, or if I switch to a new OS, or if I switch to a new browser, just doesn’t make any sense at all. Even if all of those factors held true - I was on the same device with the same operating system on the same browser - then your statement that each time you update 1Password to a new version I would lose access is also incorrect. It connects with Safari just fine and has always been able to auto-fill passwords for me without a problem on every update. I have been able to do automatic/manual updates for half a decade with no issues on ONE license I purchased five years ago on six devices, therefore invalidating your argument completely.

A 1Password membership subscription includes all of the apps and updates, so you would just need one, and you'd just sign into that account on all of your devices to access your data. The alternative is to purchase each version separately, but that means giving up things like automatic offsite backup and item history, web access, and many other benefits

-Why would there be a license fee and then a subscription fee when my cloud service is a third party backup? Where is the monthly revenue going to? Since there is no cloud instance being utilized that you are providing, and I paid for the license already, charging a subscription just to access the data being held by a third party via another OS makes no sense at all.

If this is truly your business model going forward I’ll go ahead and uninstall the app and make sure to discourage anyone I see with it in the future based on this terrible customer empathy.

We're not naive enough to think that we can work for the rest of our lifetimes for a one-time purchase made years ago

• I never said you were naive, I said you changed your business model to be different and should honor purchases made before your addition of baseless subscription costs.
  • ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@imm1207

I think there might have been a misunderstanding. I will try to clear things up.

So every time I get a new/additional device you’re going to charge $18 for a new license and then slap on a monthly subscription fee on top in order to access that data from another device because that device has a different OS? I’m not sure that makes any sense at all.

No. As per the link Brenty shared with you, the subscription includes everything, including all of the apps for every platform, so you don't have to purchase licenses separately.

Conversely, if you decide to purchase separate licenses for all your devices, you do not need a subscription on top of that.

-Why would a consumer pay for the same application every time they upgrade?

New versions include new features and a lot of bug fixes which require people to work. You are likely paid for your job, and the same thing happens to everybody else, including app developers. Sorry if this comes out rude, but it's the truth. Nobody can work for free, and you certainly cannot work for free while working on a product that you want to be of high quality (and that doesn't collect and sell data about you, so advertising is not an option).

Their old device is likely wiped and no longer in the possession, so why would that license just disappear?

Your license never disappears, as per Brenty's message above, which I am quoting here again for your convenience:

"When you purchase a license for a specific version of 1Password, that never expires, and you can, theoretically, use it for a lifetime"

That is just greed. Not even Microsoft charges for reusing a license on a new machine.

Neither do we. You are free to reinstall the license on a new machine. Just make sure you download the correct version number you purchased (for example, if you purchased 1Password 6 in the past, make sure you do not try to install 1Password 7) and you are free to continue using the version you purchased for if you don't want to upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@imm1207: Indeed, as I wrote earlier,

A 1Password membership subscription includes all of the apps and updates, so you would just need one, and you'd just sign into that account on all of your devices to access your data.

That's all you need. Alternatively, you can use whichever version you paid for. You just don't get to benefit from all of the new work we do in perpetuity without paying for it. Now that would be greedy! :lol:

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member

Why would a consumer pay for the same application every time they upgrade? Their old device is likely wiped and no longer in the possession, so why would that license just disappear? That is just greed. Not even Microsoft charges for reusing a license on a new machine.

That is exactly what 1Password does. You purchased a license for probably 1Password 6. You can install 1Password 6 (In the purchase history in case you bought it on the mac app store, otherwise on 1Password.com/download in the lower right corner) on your new machine and apply your current license (given you did not change platforms from Windows to Mac or Mac to Windows). What you cannot do is apply your license for 1Password 6 to 1Password 7. That is exactly what other software companies do, if you had a license for Office 2013 on your old machine, you cannot download Office 2016 and expect it to work without buying a license for Office 2016. What you can do, is download Office 2013 and apply your exisiting license.

What 1Password started to offer is a membership, that includes a rock solid sync service in addition to the usage of the apps on all platforms (you need no separate license for any platform if you have a membership). There are still stand-alone licenses available for 1Password 7 as well, you can buy them inside the App you can download from 1Password.com (not the Mac App Store version in case you use a mac).

How you expected to get every future major release of the app with a one-time-purchase is beyond me. If my car company releases a new version of the model I bought, I cannot exchange it to the new one for free either.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for taking the time to write this post @peacekeeper!

• Uhmen
    Uhmen
    Community Member

How do I talk to someone about this account?

• @Uhmen

Please feel free to email us any time at support@1password.com

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.