Very unpleasant first steps

ThierryS
ThierryS
Community Member

Hi,
My first steps with 1P are really difficult. And getting worse: my first message has been deleted by your site for some "syntax error"... had not seen that for ages.
1) Major problem: when I want to fill a login, 1P wants me to unlock it by using (in French) Command+Period. In French "Period" does not mean anything, so probably a poor translation. I looked in your English site: you require command + backslash to unlock it. Where do you find a backslash on a Mac? This is a PC language
2) When a wrong code has been entered into 1P, how to modify it?
Thanks
ThierryS

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @ThierryS! I'm sorry for the trouble -- "unpleasant first steps" is never something we want to hear as a user's initial experience. However, without a little more information, it will be difficult to assist. You are posting in the Mac forum here, yet you say "this is a PC language." I'm not sure what that means, but can you please let us know:

1. What is the specific version of 1Password you have installed? (and on what OS)?
    2. What is the specific version of macOS or Windows you have installed?
    3. What is the specific version of 1Password extension you have installed in your browser?
    4. What is the specific version of browser you're using?

The ⌘\ keystroke combination will indeed fill the Login for the current page. But you can also achieve this functionality by clicking the 1Password extension in your browser's toolbar or (if you're on a Mac), in your Mac's menubar. However, if there is no saved Login item for the website you're visiting, then obviously there will be no filling (since there's nothing saved which can be filled).

When a wrong code has been entered into 1P, how to modify it?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Do you mean: you entered your Master Password incorrectly? Just try again. There is no "lockout" or limit to the number of times you can try entering your Master Password. Did you mean something else? If so, would you mind clarifying? Thanks. If it helps, feel free to take a screenshot of what you’re seeing or what’s giving you trouble. Thanks! :)

• ThierryS
    ThierryS
    Community Member

Hi Lars,
    Thank you for your answer.
    I am using a Mac with OS 10.14.
    The 1Password version used is 7.2.5
    I am using Firefox 66.0.4
    1) Filling the login: Do you mean that I should keep the 1P extension in the Mac menu bar open, and that, in that case, the filling will be done automatically after clicking the 1P icon appearing in the site boxes (The login/password data having been of course saved before)?
    2) wrong code: No I'm not speaking about the Master Password. I'm speaking about a password for a specific site.:

• I entered the login/password data for this site a few days ago
    • trying to login, it did not work with 1Password
    • I had to do the reinintializing procedure manually ie change the password
    • 1Password did not take this change into account, ie I have now an old password stored in it
    • How do I change this old password?
      ThierryS
  • ThierryS
    ThierryS
    Community Member

Hi Lars again,
    In order to save a login/password in 1Password, your tutorial explains that all you have to do is to log in and to confirm in the 1P window that will pop up. Very well. How do you do when the 1P window does NOT pop up?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ThierryS

1) Filling the login: Do you mean that I should keep the 1P extension in the Mac menu bar open, and that, in that case, the filling will be done automatically after clicking the 1P icon appearing in the site boxes (The login/password data having been of course saved before)?

Yes, but you also have to have the 1Password browser extension installed. That's what actually allows 1Password to enter data on websites for you. If you have the 1Password browser extension installed, filling will be done automatically for you after clicking on the 1Password icon in your browser.

2) wrong code: No I'm not speaking about the Master Password. I'm speaking about a password for a specific site.:

Did you generate this new password with the generator in 1Password itself? If you did, this new password should be saved in the Password category inside the app, so you can copy it from there and apply it to your Login item that is currently having the old password.

In order to save a login/password in 1Password, your tutorial explains that all you have to do is to log in and to confirm in the 1P window that will pop up. Very well. How do you do when the 1P window does NOT pop up?

Can you please let us know what website this is happening with so we can test it here?

Thank you!

• ThierryS
    ThierryS
    Community Member

Hi
    1) The browser extension is installed, but it does not work. I tried to log in on an FXCM demo account (A) and it asked to unlock 1P or to type Command-Period (in French this does not mean anything: BTW what should I type?).
    However, when this was asked, 1P was alreay unlocked (B).
    I clicked on the open and fill button. The site opened but 1P did not fill anything (C)

2) Wrong code: I entered the new code manually. So how do I do to modify the saved code in 1P now?

3) I wanted to save my infos on a new site. I clicked on "save the login". 1P wrote the word "login" in the box, not my login

4) Site: can't recall which site it was. That was 2 days ago.

This is my last attempt before I give up.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ThierryS!

1) The browser extension is installed, but it does not work. I tried to log in on an FXCM demo account (A) and it asked to unlock 1P or to type Command-Period (in French this does not mean anything: BTW what should I type?).

Command-Period means Cmd+.

However, when this was asked, 1P was alreay unlocked (B).

It looks like you are using both 1Password X and the 1Password for Mac app. 1Password X is the latest version of our browser extension, which does not require the desktop app to be installed. Indeed, unless you have a specific need for this setup, it's recommended to either use just 1Password X, or 1Password for Mac and the traditional browser extension.

In my opinion, it seems like you might be looking for the second option.

I clicked on the open and fill button. The site opened but 1P did not fill anything (C)

What exact URL is this happening with so I can test it on my device too?

2) Wrong code: I entered the new code manually. So how do I do to modify the saved code in 1P now?

You can edit a 1Password item in the desktop app (you will see it at the top of the 1Password app's window) and change any field you would like.

3) I wanted to save my infos on a new site. I clicked on "save the login". 1P wrote the word "login" in the box, not my login

Is it the same website you mentioned in point 1?

4) Site: can't recall which site it was. That was 2 days ago.

Ok, please let us know what website it was if you can remember it so we can test it too.

In the meantime, I recommend using our traditional browser extension rather than 1Password X, since you are already using the 1Password for Mac desktop app at the same time. Please let us know how that one works!

This discussion has been closed.