How to use 1Password 6 and 7 on the same Mac in different user accounts with different data?

Options
snozdop
snozdop
Community Member

I use subscription 1Password v7 syncing with a 1Password account, my wife uses standalone 1Password v6 syncing with Dropbox on macOS Mojave.

We both have separate user accounts on the same MacBook and I want to use 1PW 7 in my user account and my wife wants to continue using 1PW 6 in her user account. She has a standalone license for 1PW 6 and is not interested in upgrading to 1PW 7 or moving to subscription.

It seems it is not possible to have both 1PW 7 and 1PW 6 running on the same Mac, despite being in completely separate user accounts.

As soon as I install 1 PW 7 in my user account, it zips up 1 PW 6 and basically forces my wife to use 1PW 7, which she can't because she doesn't have a standalone license for it. If I unzip the 1PW 6 in her user account and try to use it, I find that the 1PW 7 Safari extension has commandeered her Safari and doesn't work with 1PW 6. No amount of cajoling the extensions or 1PW apps seems to work.

I tried moving 1PW 7 and 1PW 6 into each users' specific ~/Applications folder, rather than the shared root /Applications folder, but that doesn't work, as 1PW 7 refuses to run unless it is in the root /Applications folder for some reason.

Is there any way of doing what I want (which works fine for many other applications), or is this another way of forcing people to upgrade to 1 PW 7? Not every person who shares the same Mac, necessarily wants to use the same versions of software. The user specific ~/Applications folder should be a way of allowing this.

1Password Version: Latest v7 and v6
Extension Version: Latest for each
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14.4
Sync Type: Subscription and Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @snozdop!

I think the issue here will mostly be with Safari, rather than with the two 1Password versions. You can technically have multiple 1Password apps installed in the Applications folder, but the Safari browser extension requires a specific version of 1Password to work.

Other browsers should work fine between different app versions however. Is the same thing happening with Firefox or Chrome, for example?

This discussion has been closed.