Master Password no longer working after update and vault change

Elusis
Elusis
Community Member

I have 1Password on my MacOS and iOS devices. I have a family subscription.

Within the past two weeks, I both accepted an update to 7.2.4 for Mac, and deleted the duplicate vault situation I had after going from an app purchase to a family subscription (discussed and resolved here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/480374) - essentially I had both the "primary" vault on my machine and the "personal" vault under the family account. So I managed to consolidate them and delete the "primary" on my machine as suggested, about 12/16 or so.

When moving from the "primary" vault to the "personal" vault, I had two different Master Passwords on them - let's call them MP1 and MP2. In deleting "primary," now I had to use MP2 which was longer and harder to type. So after switching to "personal," I changed its Master Password, from MP2 to MP1.

On 12/23, I handed my MacBook (let's call it M1) over to Apple for a keyboard replacement, and switched to using my partner's Macbook (M2) for the week. I have a profile set up there, and with my documents and desktop in iCloud, it was a pretty painless transition. Further detail: M1 has Touch ID while M2 does not.

Under my family 1Password account, I have logins for myself (U1) and my partner (U2). So M2 had 1Password already installed. Under my profile on M2, it was just a matter of logging in by typing my Master Password (MP1). No problem.

Now, when I did so, 1Password unlocked, but it also gave me a "sign-in error" warning, saying "we're having trouble logging into your account, please make sure your Secret Key and password are filled in correctly." But this warning did not have anything filled in for the Master Password, so I typed MP1 again. This resulted in a "wrong password" error. However, if I just dismissed the warning, I could still use 1Password with no trouble.

Meanwhile, I started getting the same issue with 1Password on my iPhone. I have Touch ID enabled, so I can log in without a problem. However after unlocking with TouchID, I get the same "sign-in error" warning:

And yet I can use my 1Password app as normal.

Where this becomes a problem is when I got M1 back. In order to re-enable Touch ID, I am supposed to enter my Master Password (MP1). So I typed it... but it doesn't work. **This is the identical password to what I was typing on M2, but it is being rejected when I try to log in on M1, and also on iOS. **

I have tried:

MP1 (and multiple variations)
MP2 (and multiple variations)

I have typed MP1 and variations, and MP2 and variations, into a text editor so I could systematically copy/paste them one by one into the login field. No dice.

I cannot change the Master Password via my iPhone because I do not have a current Master Password that it will accept, even though I'm logged in with TouchID.

I have asked my partner to log into our family account to see if he could do recovery for me, but apparently I did not have him set up with admin privileges (I don't recall being asked about it when I created the account and his invitation - the recovery page says to make sure at least one other person has admin privileges, but it would have been nice to have a prompt to set a second admin BEFORE I needed it!).

I would like to export my data before I get locked out of my iPhone app via Touch ID, but there is no instruction on how to do so for iOS at the "export your data" page: https://support.1password.com/export/

I am baffled as to why I can log in on M2 with MP1, but M1 and my iPhone are both rejecting it. I am also baffled as to why MP2, and any and all variations I might possibly have used to MP1 or MP2 are not working. I am also stuck about what to do next.

I hope that's a clear enough walk-through of the issue, given the various machines, devices, accounts, and passwords involved.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! The 1Password app unlocks using the Master Password of the first vault/account you have setup in it. If you have a Primary (local) vault there, its Master Password will be the one used to unlock. If you have no local vaults, then the Master Password for the first 1Password account you setup in the app will be required to unlock. Does that help? If you sign into 1Password.com in your web browser, do you have all of your data there?

https://my.1password.com

Let me know.

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Unfortunately I've tried the passwords for both vaults, and multiple variations thereon.

On my partner's computer M2, which accepts MP1 but then tells me there's a login problem (and then rejects MP1 and MP2 and all variations), all my data is there.

On my phone, which for now unlocks with my thumbprint but then tells me there's a login problem (and then rejects MP1 and MP2 and all variations), all my data is there.

On my computer M1, neither MP1 nor MP2 are accepted, nor any variations.

I cannot sign in to 1Password.com with MP1 or MP2 or any variations.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis: Signing into your 1Password.com account will only work using the exact Master Password you set when signing up, along with your other account credentials. A Master Password for the Primary vault in the app on your devices will not work there unless you set it up to use the same thing originally, and it doesn't sound like that is the case. Your Master Password is not being "rejected"; the wrong one simply cannot decrypt the data.

(Un)fortunately none of this is something we can 'reset' for you to help with directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

I feel like I addressed a lot of what you're saying above. No one else on my family account has admin access. I have not had luck with any of those tips as I discussed, e.g. cutting and pasting from a text document. And it baffles me why I can sign in from Chrome on one machine but not another? I am lost as to what to do next but particularly why my accounts seem so out of sync. I am using the only two passwords I have ever had for the two vaults (and trying various permutations just in case) but only on my partner's machine can I gain access to the app with a password, and meanwhile it is still telling me I have a login problem but it's unclear what that problem is.

Can I describe my issue and steps to you in some way that would make it clearer what my situation is?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis -

Can I describe my issue and steps to you in some way that would make it clearer what my situation is?

It's probably best not to discuss the nitty-gritty of your specific setup in this public forum, and doing that here would also necessitate us likely having to play 20 Questions with you while we troubleshoot. Instead, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#GQD-62165-447]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Elusis only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GQD-62165-447

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Thanks. I've followed the instructions to send reports from all 3 devices, and will wait for your feedback!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! I've merged your messages with the ticket Lars created for you. We'll take a look and get back to you there. :)

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Great, thank you so much.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• Th3b3n
    Th3b3n
    Community Member

I am facing a very similar problem just like Elusis. I am using 1PW for quite some time not without problems and have purchased a single 1PW-licence. I am getting singin errors just like mentioned above but my master password does not seem to work anymore. I can still sign in to my iphone with touchID - all other devices are not accessible anymore.

Could you please also provide a code to me so I can send you the diagnostic emails from my devices?

I am really dependent on solving this issue because I only have very limited access to my passwords...
    Thanks a lot in advance getting back to me!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Th3b3n! I'm sorry for the trouble. Have you perhaps recently created a 1password.com membership/account? You mentioned a standalone license, but you didn't say what's changed. Your Master Password doesn't simply change for no reason. Did you make any changes to your 1Password setup on one or more of your devices recently?

• Th3b3n
    Th3b3n
    Community Member

Thanks for your quick reply, Lars!
    My account is not new... I did indeed change various passwords within my account to make them saver. I am not aware that I changed my master password for 1PW, though but obviously I cannot log in anymore to my 1password.com-account. As stated, my situation is extremely similar to the one Elusis explained very detailed. I can login to my iphone but am not able to sign-in to 1password.com (which means it is not syncing anymore). Can't sign in to my 1PW-Mac-app anymore at all...

I have already followed all tips you give for this situation (https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password) - unfortunately with no success... :-(

I am not sure how detailed you need me to explain everything... Would the diagnostic files help you to understand and support me with this issue?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Th3b3n - that's probably the best approach, yes. I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#ZZT-25936-877]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Th3b3n only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: ZZT-25936-877

• Th3b3n
    Th3b3n
    Community Member

Hey Lars,
    reports are generated and sent including above code.

I really hope you guys can make something happen for me!
    THANX!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Th3b3n - thanks! I've replied to you via email. :)

• rneufeld4
    rneufeld4
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Writing this for my father, who appears to have the same problem as Th3b3n. He initially setup 1P as standalone on his Mac. Later added a single-user account on 1Password.com with the same PW for entry. Then added an iPhone. Changed Master Passwords (apparently successfully) some months ago. Recently (attempting to setup another iPhone) his PW started failing on his .com account only. His vault appears to be current on his mac and the app works fine as long as he tells it to ignore 1Password.com. He very likely made an error in attempting to change a password at some point, and it seems I cannot hope to recover it. It will probably be best to delete his existing .com account and setup a new one (probably a family account this time, with me as an admin) but I have a couple of questions. How do I tell if his vault data is actually stored on the mac? If it is, how do export it in a fashion that will be easy to import to a new 1P.com account? Would it be easier to add him and my mother to my existing family account (soundman4@gmail.com)? Were the solutions to these two problems (TH3b3n and Elusis) the same? Do they have any bearing on my situation? Please reply to my email (removed by 1Password staff because it included personal information-- this is a public forum) as well as his. He opened a case about this already #XFG-36572-132. Thanks, Eric Neufeld

ref: XFG-36572-132

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @rneufeld4! Welcome to the forum!

I was able to locate the email in our system. To avoid sharing account information here, we will get back to you via email as soon as possible.

I have also removed your email address from your post for your privacy since this is a public forum.

• eneufeld4
    eneufeld4
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana
    I see that the forum is very busy. It's been a week, however, and no email. Shall I continue to wait?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eneufeld4: I'm sorry for the confusion. We sent a response to you fairly quickly with some suggestions that should help, with an invitation to reply if you needed further assistance. We never heard back from you after that. If you didn't see that, I'd suggest checking your spam filter. We can continue the conversation via email if needed, but if you're not able to receive it I'm not sure that will do much good. Let me know.

ref: XFG-36572-132

• RONKING
    RONKING
    Community Member

I think we fixed it yesterday with your agent help

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad to hear it. We're here if you need us. :)

• eneufeld4
    eneufeld4
    Community Member

@brenty: I realize that communicating via two separate email addresses and URLs can certainly be the source of some problems, but I am concerned that I have not received any email from you at my email address (deleted from the May3 communication by @ag_ana but hopefully tied to this comment). I am concerned, since gmail uses a pretty aggressive spam filter. I did see a response on around May 1, addressed to my father's email (on which I had originally commented) that met your description, but my May 3 comment was a request for additional help with some fairly specific questions. If you have replied to it (on either email), I have not seen it. Can you tell me the date of the reply? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@eneufeld4: we sent an email back to you on Saturday, May 4th. The email came from support@1password.com, if it can help you look for it in your inbox.

• eneufeld4
    eneufeld4
    Community Member

Sorry, I don't seem to have it in any mailboxes. Could you please resend it? Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sure @eneufeld4, I have just sent it again to your email address :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@eneufeld4: Just to make sure we're on the same page, you mentioned a May 3rd communication, but I am only seeing a single email from you on that date, one from us via email, and nothing here in the forum. So I'm wondering if the problem isn't that you're not receiving our messages, but that we're not getting them from you. We're getting email from other Gmail users, and we use Gmail ourselves, so I'm not sure what the issue might be. Please let us know if you received Ana's most recent email.

• eneufeld4
    eneufeld4
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

the date on my original post seems to have changed. It showed May 3 earlier but shows as May 4 now. This was not an email, but a posting on this forum. I typed it using my father's account and his computer, but explained in the email that I would like you to copy me on any replies and listed my personal email. I received a reply post saying that my email address had been deleted from the post, but you would reply to me in more detail by email. Although I have received notifications about your posts via email, I have received nothing from support @1password.com. I understand, though, that this is probably because you only replied to my father's account, since it is associated with the thread's reference ID. I'm very sorry that I started this conversation in that manner, but would like to continue it using my own username on forums (eneufeld4) and my own email address ([removed by 1Password staff -- this is a public forum]). If you have addressed emails to that address, I have not received them and they are not in my trash or spam folder. I have not sent any emails to you directly, but have simply posted on this thread. I will copy this post and email it to support@1password.com in case that helps.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@eneufeld4: I don't see any posts here from you earlier than May 11th. Your forum profile is here:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/profile/discussions/eneufeld4

If there's another forum account I should be looking at, please let me know.

I think there may be some confusion due to time zones: not all of us are in North America. :)

We haven't been in contact with the email address you mentioned in your last comment (which I've removed) here because, as far as I can tell, we have received no emails from that address ever. But I'll shoot you an email at that address shortly and we can go from there.

ref: CLE-46946-536

This discussion has been closed.