Importing from Dashlane, missing logins

Naxterra
Naxterra
Community Member
edited May 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hello

I am on Trial version and I am trying to import my Dashlane logins into 1Password. I have more than 500 pages and around 30 secure notes saved in Dashlane. I exported them as CSV and then imported to 1Password. I got total of 14 entries in 1Password.

How can I get all of my logins and notes?

I used https://my.1password.eu/home and then Import.

Side note, some of the imported entries are wrong too. Like there is an entry called 'Cell' with password 'Mobile'

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 x64
Sync Type: Dashlane

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra: Thanks for reaching out! Can you tell me the specific steps you took to export the CSV and import it into 1Password? This is generally what we recommend, but naturally it depends heavily on the quality and format of the exported data. Depending on what you have, you may have better luck using @MrC ’s converter to get it into 1Password's native format first, which can be imported directly into the desktop app (rather than the web interface). Let me know.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

@Naxterra ,

The csv converter needs some specific column header names. Hence, the error message above.

The Dashlane export is likely to contain a few different categories. The csv converter requires a single category in the export file, so you'll need to copy / edit the export file, and remove all but one category type. Let's consider Logins first. Remove all but the login lines, and then add the column labels as explained in the README.html file under the CSV section. It states specifically which column labels you need. You'll see this table:

Once you have the labels, and only the Login entries, you can run the converter as you did on that edited Dashlane export.

Let's see if this gets you further along.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019

@Naxterra ,

Excel should be fine.

You may have to Import the file rather than open it. Import as CSV. I no longer have Excel here, so can't verify the steps for you.

Make sure you export the edited CSV file - by exporting as CSV in the UTF-8 format - don't just Save it.

You should be able to easily identify your Login types. They will have the same number of columns, and should have a URL, email/login name, password, and a title. What you've identified above seems right, if you want those converted into 1Password logins. Since you have both email + username, columns, you can pick the one that should be used on a login page, and label that as your Login Username column in the spreadsheet. You can label the other one whatever you want.

I'm hoping that most of your 1300 rows are Logins, and the others you can readily identify to remove from the copied CSV.

Dashlane exports are quite problematic.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Naxterra: I'm not sure what 1Password could be expected to do with language fields, as it has nothing like that. I don't know what that would be for. And I definitely don't think it would be desirable for most people if 1Password were to just "skip" them, as there's presumably a reason you have them -- unless that's something specific to the app that I'm not aware of. That's why it's beneficial to convert it into a form usable by 1Password: so you can be sure you're not losing data. Exports can be mangled, and we don't want it to get mangled further by having 1Password "guess" what it is. It requires some effort, but what goes in is what comes out, so it's generally worth it unless you don't care about the data. I just wish it wasn't mangled in the first place, as that would be a lot easier for you. :blush:

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2021

@Naxtera,

First, let's dismiss the idea that 1Password can just import these as is. The issue is that Dashlane's exports are bad - really bad. I've described this many times, for example here and here. It is not possible to "detect" what you are calling "login fields" because these are just a sequence of characters. Example: which of those below is a the login and which is the password, and which are notes?

Jonas
    jonasuser
    jonas@example.com
    jonaspass
    jonasother

So, you have some manual work to do, and there's no way around this.

You mention "rest seems other fields" - are you saying that each of these are in separate rows? This would indicate a Dashlane CSV export formatting issue (I mention this issue in those links). Perhaps rather than try to correct these CSV issues, you could just remove these 1-column entries, and deal with those manually later.

The goal for you is to get a CSV file that has all / most of your login entries, all arranged in nice columns. If that's not something you're able to do, there's not much anyone else can do to help, since we don't want to see your confidential data.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2019

@Naxterra ,

Your CSV is not formatted the way 1Password requires. The columns must be in exactly this order:

title,website,username,password,notes,custom field 1,custom field 2, custom field …

One of the reasons I suggested using the csv converter, is that you can get plenty of diagnostics. This can tell you exactly where things go wrong, down to the record. Here's how things should look:

You can see the record number (row), the fields, and how they are being mapped to 1Password fields.

And here's what happens where there's an error in the CSV:

• My understanding is that Dashlane cannot export Secure Notes in JSON format, @Naxterra. This format is what we decided to go with for our importer since it exports more predictably than CSV thus making it less error-prone and less likely to import junk. With that said, if you're able to selectively export only Secure Notes to CSV, it may be somewhat easier to format that CSV properly using the formatting guide MrC linked above. I'm not familiar enough with Dashlane to know whether or not this is possible, but the general simplicity of Secure Notes (usually two fields – title and notes) my hope is that this should be a somewhat simpler prospect than formatting endless Logins.

This discussion has been closed.