Best way to upgrade 1P6 to 1P7

giusep71
giusep71
Community Member

Hi there. I'm on OSX 10.13.6
Using 1P version 6.8.9 standalone license.

Should I decide to upgrade to 1P7 (standalone license) what’s the best way to do it? First uninstall 1P6 and then install 1P7? Cause I've read 1P7 shouldn't be installed along when 1P6 is still in use.
I've read about some users running into trouble over the upgrade and losing passwords in the process. Is that still the case?
By the way I’m syncing over Dropbox.

Regards

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @giusep71

Should I decide to upgrade to 1P7 (standalone license) what’s the best way to do it? First uninstall 1P6 and then install 1P7? Cause I've read 1P7 shouldn't be installed along when 1P6 is still in use.

Correct; move the 1Password 6 application from the /Applications folder to the trash, reboot the Mac, then empty the trash. Then install 1Password 7:

https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

On the welcome screen, if you're looking for a standalone license, please be sure to select the "need a license? We have those too" option.

I've read about some users running into trouble over the upgrade and losing passwords in the process. Is that still the case?

I can't say I recall any such cases. Can you point me to what you're concerned about?

By the way I’m syncing over Dropbox.

Okay. :)

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Hi Ben.
    I wouldn't like to lose some passwords over the upgrade, that's my concern.
    Does 1P7 will be using the database of 1P6?

• I wouldn't like to lose some passwords over the upgrade, that's my concern.

I understand. You mentioned having read this happening. I was asking if you could point me to where you've read that. :) I'd like to confirm whatever issues those customers might've run into wouldn't be an issue for you, but that's hard to say for sure without knowing what issues they had. In general I'm not aware of any issues with data loss in moving from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7.

Does 1P7 will be using the database of 1P6?

It does not, no.

Ben

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

So 1P7 doesn't use the 1P6 database.
    Somehow though all data stored in 1P6 (eg. passwords, notes, etc) is going to be imported in 1P7. Than 1P7 will generate its own database. I guess.
    Currently 1P6 has its own backups folder. In my case is still "1p4_zip".
    Will 1P7 have its own backups folder located somewhere else?

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @giusep71,

Somehow though all data stored in 1P6 (eg. passwords, notes, etc) is going to be imported in 1P7. Than 1P7 will generate its own database. I guess.

That's correct.

Will 1P7 have its own backups folder located somewhere else?

Yes, 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 store data in different locations, so they are kept separate.

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• giusep71
    giusep71
    Community Member

The upgrade was flawless. So far everything works fine.

Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @giusep71! That's great to hear :)

This discussion has been closed.