Start 1Password mini on startup, but don't start main application?

Options
dtgriscom
dtgriscom
Community Member

Like most users, I do almost all my 1Password using the mini menu bar tool. I want this to be available when I login, so I have 1Password set as a Login Item, and the "Always keep 1Password mini running" preference turned on.

Problem: when I login, the big main 1Password window opens. This just gets in the way, so I close it, but I have to do this every time I login.

Is there a way to have the 1Password mini tool start on boot without the main 1Password program starting up? Or, have the main 1Password start up, launch 1Password mini, and then exit?

1Password Version: 6.8.3
Extension Version: 4.6.11.92
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: none

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dtgriscom -- I can't tell for certain, but it sounds as if you may have added 1Password to your list of startup items in System Preferences. You've taken the correct steps to have the Mini load when you login to your Mac, but if the main 1Password app is opening then as well, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > (your account name) and then click "Login Items." If you see 1Password there, click it once to highlight it, then click the minus button under that window to remove it. This will not delete 1Password, only remove it from the list of items that launch on login.

If you don't see it there, let us know.

• dtgriscom
    dtgriscom
    Community Member
    Options

I do have 1Password in my startup items; I assumed it would be necessary for anything to happen on startup. Is it unnecessary? If so, did I miss an instruction or UI hint that just turning on the "Always keep 1Password mini running" preference would start 1Password mini?

Perhaps the "Always keep 1Password mini running" preference should be changed to "Start 1Password mini on login"?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dtgriscom -- thanks for the suggestion; we'll consider it. In the meantime, can you verify that removing 1Password for Mac from Login Items in your Mac's System Preferences does indeed solve the problem? Thanks. :)

• dtgriscom
    dtgriscom
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, that fixed it. But I'll say again that "Start 1Password mini on login" would be a much clearer label for that preference.

Thanks for the help,
    Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sorry for the confusion there. That's not what it does though. It keeps 1Password mini running even after you close the main app window. If we change it to what you suggest, it will be inaccurate. Cheers! ;)

• dtgriscom
    dtgriscom
    Community Member
    Options

I have to disagree. "1Password mini" appears to the user as a separate application from the main 1Password (which is what it is behind the scenes, too). So, to the user, there's no real reason why starting/quitting one would affect the other.

Perhaps you could solve this through documentation, better-explaining what the preference does.

• Ben
    Options

So, to the user, there's no real reason why starting/quitting one would affect the other.

But it does.

Perhaps you could solve this through documentation, better-explaining what the preference does.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Ben

• TylerA
    TylerA
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, I do not have 1Password in my Login Items, but the main application window opens every startup (Mac, latest version). I think this must be a bug. Is it a known issue, and can you recommend how to stop this if so?

Thanks!
    Tyler

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @TylerA! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you try restarting your Mac, and seeing if that makes any difference. If not, I'll need to know:

1. What specific version of 1Password for Mac you have installed
    2. What specific version of macOS you're running
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you're running, in which browser(s), and
    4. How you sync your data (1password.com account, Dropbox, iCloud, etc).

Please include anything else you think might help us find the issue -- what steps have you taken so far, and what's not working the way you think it should, etc. Thanks! :)

• dcrawford13
    dcrawford13
    Community Member
    Options

A few weeks ago, my 1Password desktop application began opening on startup. It is not listed as a login item under system preferences. Simultaneously, my 1Password mini no longer will allow me to type my password in the box. My browser extensions also no longer are working. Thoughts on how to fix this?

Dan

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcrawford13: I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say what might be going wrong and how we might right it! Please tell me the OS, 1Password, browser, and extension versions you're using, the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening the way you expect so we can figure out the best plan of action:

Find your version

The more information you can give, the better. For instance, can you elaborate on the "browser extensions also no longer are working" part? Thanks in advance! :)

• dcrawford13
    dcrawford13
    Community Member
    Options

MacOS Mojave 10.14.2
    1Password 6.8.8
    Safari and Brave browsers with 1Password extension for each browser

When I startup and login to my computer, the 1Password application opens with the box for me to type in my master password. This had never happened in the past. I have always used the mini icon in the upper right part of the screen. If I close the box that opens on startup, I then click on the mini icon. It offers a small box for my master password. I click my cursor in the field for the password, but it will not allow me to type in this field. In both Safari and Brave, I have the 1Password extension as well. When I click that icon, I have a similar issue where it will not allow me to type in the password field. I want the 1Password application to not open on startup (again, it is not listed as a startup item in system preferences), and I would like my mini icon to work again.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcrawford13 - hmmm, that's definitely not normal behavior. Even if you're in Read Only mode, you should still be able to unlock 1Password with your Master Password and see your data. Rather than play 20 Questions with you here in this public forum about the specifics of your setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#DHA-97429-621]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @dcrawford13 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: DHA-97429-621

• gdharries
    gdharries
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I have the exact same issue. 1Password is not in my login items, but the main application window opens on login. It's been this way for months now.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @gdharries! It's a bit difficult to say what might be the issue and how we might help you resolve it, without a little more information. Can you tell us:

1. What specific version of 1Password you're using?
    2. What specific version of macOS you're running?
    3. What specific version of 1Password extension you have in your main browser(s)?
    4. What method you use for syncing your data?
    5. Whether you make use of 1-click bookmarks
    6. Anything else you think might be of interest in trying to diagnose the issue?

Thanks! :)

• gdharries
    gdharries
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Version 6.8.8 from the Mac App Store. The latest last time I checked (five minutes ago).
    2. Mac OS 10.14.2.
    3. 4.7.3 in Safari.
    4. iCloud.
    5. I don't even know what these are, haha. So no?

Thanks

Geof

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@gdharries: In order to be able to use 1Password in Safari (or any browser), it must be running. So you'll likely have (and want) the app running at all times, in 1Password Preferences > General. You can disable that if you don't though. Additionally, if you have 1Password open when you restart/shutdown your Mac and you check the box to reopen apps again on startup, you'll have it come up that way anyway. Let me know if that helps.

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

1Password opens on startup, and is not listed in my Login Items.

• OS High Sierra, version 10.13.6
    • 1Password version 7.2.5
    • 1Password extension version 7.2.5
    • Browser Safari 12.1
    • Syncs via my 1Password account

Cheers
    Lisa

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @LMD!

Thank you for the information. In macOS, did you enable the option to reopen apps again on startup perhaps?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You'd need to not set macOS (or any other software) to open it on startup, or quit it before reboot/shutdown if you are having apps reopen.

• LMD
    LMD
    Community Member
    Options

1Password in not listed in my Login items (on my macOS).
    I'm not having the issue any longer after changing things - removing 1Password from the menu bar, and shutting down the main application before rebooting. Not sure whether removing 1Password from the menu bar is relevant. Anyway, all sorted, thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the update @LMD! I am happy that things are behaving as expected once again.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue: 1Password opens on startup asking for master password/touch ID, and is not listed in my Login Items. I notice something weird tho. 1Password won't behave this way if I don't keep Safari opened before restart/shutdown my Mac. Is there a way to stop this from happening? I would love to keep Safari opened all the time.

• macOS 10.14.5
    • 1Password version 7.3
    • 1Password extension version 7.3
    • Browser Safari 12.1.1
    • Syncs via iCloud
    • "reopen windows when logging back in" is on
  • Ben
    Options

Hi @wattachai

Interesting that it seems to be related to whether Safari is open or not. I'm going to ask our QA team to take a look at this and see if there is anything that can be done on our end about that.

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben FYI, I couldn’t reproduce this issue on another MacBook Pro without Touch ID. It might be something related to Touch ID prompt.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@wattachai: I can kind of imagine how this might happen...but I've never encountered this on my own Mac, in spite of it having Touch ID, and having macOS reopen everything on startup. I do not reboot frequently though. Can you tell me the specific context and steps to try to reproduce this?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty it’s quite simple. I just restart my Mac while Safari is still opened. After the system boots up, 1Password would prompt for my Touch ID. I can reproduce it reliably on my 2016 MacBook 13” with Touch Bar.

• Ben
    Options

If you disable 1Password in Safari (Safari > Preferences > Extensions) before rebooting does the issue persist, @wattachai ?

Ben

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    Options

I Just tried it out, 1password won't show up on restart now.
    @Ben does this imply something?

• Ben
    Options

@wattachai It does, yes. It appears this may be some strange result of using the new(er) Safari App Extension framework for our Safari extension. I've asked our QA team to look into this.

Thanks!

Ben

This discussion has been closed.