1Password Extension Disappears

DrSFG
DrSFG
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

I restarted my computer this morning, and suddenly, the 1Password extension was no longer showing up in Safari (v12.1, MacOS 10.14.4), and so I had to re-download the application, and upgrade from there. This is not the first time this has happened and seems to happen randomly. The only thing I did yesterday out of the ordinary was empty the Safari cache on the instruction of the USPS website since I was suddenly having problems bring up payment options on their site using Safari.

But the point is is that this is not isolated behavior. It doesn't happen every day or every week, but randomly and without warning. I'm only mentioning it because it's a bit of a pain to have to re-download and the beta upgrade every time this happens. I'm not sure if the problem is on your end or Apple's.

1Password Version: 7.3 BETA-12
Extension Version: 7.2.5
OS Version: OS X 10.14.4 Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @DrSFG!

If this happens again, can you please make sure that the Safari extension is enabled in Safari Preferences?

When you say that "the 1Password extension was no longer showing up in Safari", perhaps it's still there in Safari, but it really just got disabled, so at least you wouldn't have to reinstall the 1Password app to make it come back.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

No, I looked. The extension has completely disappeared. And 1Password sends me a notification to download the extension. Once I re-download the app, I have to go into Safari's extension list and re-activate. But the extension is gone prior to the re-download. As I've said I've gone through this before.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

Once I re-download the app, I have to go into Safari's extension list and re-activate.

@DrSFG: That's expected. That's how Safari works. Safari App Extensions are loaded into Safari from the apps automatically, but they are disabled unless the user enables them. Otherwise apps could be putting a bunch of extensions in your browsers without your say-so.

But the extension is gone prior to the re-download.

The only thing that could cause that is Safari itself or some other software on your computer. 1Password can neither add nor remove an extension from your browser. Do you have "security" software that might be removing it?

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

Of course I have security software, who doesn't in this day and age? But as I continue to say, the phenomenon is completely random. It happens completely out of the blue, without warning, and without any change to the system. It doesn't happen every day, or every week or every month like clockwork, it just happens out of the blue. It only started happening when you included the extension as part of the main program, rather than being a separate download.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@DrSFG: Oh totally. It's weird. No argument there. :) My best guess is that you've got something being overzealous there that hasn't gotten the memo about Apple's not-so-new-anymore Safari App Extension framework* and is removing it. I can't say what for that might take: maybe it's actually deleting it from the 1Password app bundle (unlikely, as there would probably be other symptoms too, but who knows), or doing something to Safari to revue it and/or prevent it from reloading. 1Password just isn't involved with any of that, it can't install or remove itself, so it's something external. What are you using anyway? I have "security software" of course, but it's built into the OS, so it, understandably, doesn't mess with macOS, Safari, or other software.

*Apple has already discontinued the old .safariextz you're referring to, so that's not even an option -- which is why we moved to Safari App Extensions last year.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

I use encryption through encrypt.me, I use an ad blocker via AdGuard, I use Clam-xav anti-virus protection, and TrafficLight for browsing protection. I have three other extensions being used with Safari (AdGuard, Honey and TrafficLight), and none of them keeps on disappearing like yours does.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DrSFG: I don't have any way of knowing what's messing with 1Password on your system or why it would, unfortunately. If you disable those and reinstall 1Password, does the Safari App Extension disappear? I only have the information you give me, but I'm guessing that you installed those other extensions from here:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/

And that you can uninstall them from Safari in that case, since they aren't Safari App Extensions, but rather the old thing that Apple discontinued (you will not receive updates to those because submissions are no longer accepted, and the gallery itself will be shutting down in the near future).

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

Like I have said, the removal is random. It just happens spontaneously after a few weeks or months of use, so I can’t say it’s something on my machine that’s doing it. Nor can you say, IMHO, that’s it not your design of your app that’s inherently a problem. The adGuard extension I mentioned is part of a separate program, just like 1password.

I’m satisfied with the response that the cause is unknown, but I think you can’t completely discount that the cause is in your backyard as well. I will leave it as is and reinstall as the need arises.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@DrSFG: I really doubt that it's random. I am glad to hear that it's weeks or months for you at least. I'd thought more frequent. We've had the Safari App Extension since 7.2. No one else has been having this issue. And again, 1Password cannot uninstall itself. Did you try disabling the other apps/extension as I suggested? That might provide some more data points.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

If it happens, say once every six weeks, how is disabling the other extensions going to help me? I will not have the use of extensions I need just to see I’d say three months down the line I have no problems. That’s not feasible.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I don't disagree with your point, but I don't know how you'd possibly narrow down what is removing 1Password otherwise. The only thing I can tell you for certain is that it isn't 1Password, secretly removing itself, both for technical reasons and because out of millions of users others would have reported that since we moved to the Safari App Extension last year.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Following the update to the beta this morning I also do not have the extension showing.

A reboot sorted it :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Glad Safari was able to get that loaded for you. :)

• davebarnes
    davebarnes
    Community Member

"No one else has been having this issue."
    Not true. My wife has the exact same disappearance issue.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@davebarnes: I don't recall having heard from your wife or anyone else a month ago when I said that. :tongue: Seriously, if you are having trouble with 1Password, please let us know the specifics. :)

• cannfoddr
    cannfoddr
    Community Member
    edited June 2019

I've lost my safari extension too and I can't seem to reinstall it... and its back with the latest beta

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@cannfoddr: Since we're using a Safari App Extension now in order to support current and future versions of the browser, we're pretty much dependent on Safari loading it. Restarting Safari or macOS can help "encourage" it to load the extension, and if you have any further trouble let us know the specifics and we'll see if there's something we can suggest. :)

This discussion has been closed.