Sharing master password with spouse

Options
mmtroyer
mmtroyer
Community Member

I have a family account and one of the members is my sister. She wants to know if she should give her master password to her spouse or if he should have his own master password. Any best practices or other posts in the forum shedding some thought would be appreciated.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:spouse

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @mmtroyer

Great question. :) In general each person should have their own account within the membership, which means they'd each have their own unique Master Password and Secret Key. That said, this is more of a suggestion than a rule. If they prefer to share everything and essentially be the same person as far as 1Password is concerned, then they can certainly do that. It's really a question of what they intend to store in 1Password and whether there is anything they'd prefer to keep separate / private, or if they truly want to share all 1Password data.

We have a guide on how to invite and share with someone in 1Password Families here:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mmtroyer: That's a great question, but a very personal decision. I think just as a general rule it's good for each to have their own account with a unique Master Password. There are reasons they might not want to do that, but most of the folks I've talked to are glad to not have to share a Master Password and all of their data (like we all used to if we were sharing a vault using Dropbox). For a lot of people, that added flexibility ("I don't have to use a password my spouse chose!") is appreciated. But certainly for a couple that prefers to share everything, that's fine too. The only thing I'd say is that it can be handy to have multiple Organizers in order to be able to use the recovery features:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/

Other than that there are probably any number of different ways of doing things and reasons for doing them. :)

• mmtroyer
    mmtroyer
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks to both of you for your input.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.