Disable showing 'identities' when I open 1PW extension?

Options
leetired
leetired
Community Member

I've been struggling with this for a while, and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

I use 1PW for both work and personal PW management. I also use features like the identities to keep track of addresses for family members, etc. I typically have 1pw set to 'all vaults'. When I open the browser extension, it sometimes shows a 'suggested' login or similar, but then also shows the first several 'identities' that I have saved. Is there a way to disable this function? I don't really want to be flashing all that around every time I need to use my PW manager at work/in public. I've looked all over the preferences, but haven't found a way to disable this.

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leetired - you may wish to click 1Password 7 for Mac's Preferences > Updates, check the box marked "Include beta builds," then perform a manual update check. I think that may be what you're looking for.

• leetired
    leetired
    Community Member
    Options

Hmm, it's about 50% better I guess. Is there a way to have it not show any account information until you select an item?

There are three issues I'm seeing with the current version:
    1) Since I have it set to 'all vaults', I see the starred items from my work account and my personal account when I'm opening it on an empty browser tab, which is annoying and not useful to me.

2) Sometimes it shows semi-sensitive details, like my 2FA code

3) it remembers the last thing I typed, which is not always something I'm thinking about if I'm doing a screen-share and is a little awkward (ie now my coworkers all know what site I use for financial tracking).

I realize some of this is pretty persnickety, but as a knowledge worker, frequent screen sharing is a fact of life for me.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019
    Options

@leetired

Is there a way to have it not show any account information until you select an item?

Not presently, no. We have users pushing us the other direction - to make more information available with fewer clicks - so it's a balancing act, and what you see is the current path we've chosen, which tries to take into account not just all users, but what actually makes most sense. Our recommendation is to not use 1Password or indeed any critical software or data in unsafe circumstances. If you screenshare frequently, quit 1Password before you start a session. If you know you're going to need to access one or two resources during a session, open them up prior to the session. Don't use 1Password in situations where you worry about "shoulder surfing" or video surveillance, etc. Set the mini (extension) to open to Favorites...and don't have any Favorites. Or set it to open on a category of item you don't use, such as Outdoor Licenses or Membership Cards, and use that.

These are just a few ideas to prevent you (or potential adversaries) being able to see anything useful at all when you invoke the 1Password mini. Hope this helps! :)

• leetired
    leetired
    Community Member
    Options

hm, that's pretty disappointing to hear. I really liked how version 6 (and previous) worked, I found it to be a good balance between showing enough to get work done and hiding sensitive information. The transition to 7 has been rough, honestly. It's the first time I've considered moving away from 1 Password since I first purchased it in 2014.

The issue with setting it to open to a category is that I use all of them, but also, I'm looking through the preferences to find how to set it to open on a category, and I'm not seeing how to do that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@leetired - you didn't share with us what specific version of 1Password for Mac you're running, but in the current 7.2.5 version, you can invoke the mini using the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ or clicking the icon in your Mac's menubar and then choose a category in the sidebar. The mini should open to that category for the remainder of the session, once closed and re-opened.

This discussion has been closed.