1Password X extension stops NordVPN extension connecting in Firefox 66.0.5 64bit.

The NordVPN extension in Firefox connects to the VPN and then almost immediately disconnects with the message 'Failed to connect. Try again later. I contacted NordVPN support and we narrowed it down to the 1Password X extension being enabled in Firefox. I have reported this to NordVPN but has anyone else had this problem with NordVPN or any other VPN extension. The same problem exists when using Chrome.

1Password Version: 7.3.684
Extension Version: 1.15.1
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1809
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @lenworth 👋

I've heard of instances of NordVPN interfering with 1Password before, but not the other way around. Just to be absolutely clear, you're saying that 1Password stops NordVPN from working? You mention that you narrowed it down with the help of their support. I'm curious, what was that process? Did you disable all extensions (or antivirus, or similar), enable NordVPN, and then enable 1Password X, and then things went awry? Seems like a very curious situation, and I'd love to learn more.

• lenworth
    lenworth
    Community Member

Hi
    Yes it looks as if 1Password X causes NordVPN to have a problem connecting. Initially it connects and after about ten seconds it disconnects and I get a pop up notification saying 'Failed to connect. Try again later'. If I try to reconnect the same happens again. I only have theee extensions - 1Password X, NordVPN and Evernote Web Clipper. I have uninstalled all three. If I install NordVPN it runs fine. If I add Evernote Web Clipper it is fine. If I then add 1Password X I get the Nord VPN problem. I have tried starting with NordVPN and then just 1Password X and the problem is back. I have also started by installing 1Password X and then installed NordVPN and the connection problem is back. Throughout all of these the 1Password X extension worked perfectly. I also tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it in case that was causing a problem. Let me know if you need to know more.

• lenworth
    lenworth
    Community Member

I have also found that if I install 1Password X while the NordVPN extension is installed, 1Password X is just a blank space on the bookmarks toolbar and if you click it a tiny blank square appears that you cannot do anything with.

• That's very odd, indeed @lenworth - Thanks for taking the time to explain the issue in such detail, though I'm not sure there's anything I can do to help. I chatted with our devs about this and it is as I suspected — 1Password X can't cause NordVPN to have a problem connecting, though it's possible a NordVPN setting is causing it to be obstructed in some way. This is something Nord will have to look into further. I am sorry I couldn't bring you better news.

• lenworth
    lenworth
    Community Member

I looked at the settings in the NordVPN extension and there are only two - Block WebRTC and CyberSec. Block WebRTC was on (it blocks the WebRTC protocol) and CyberSec was off. I turned off Block WebRTC and installed the 1Password X extension again. It all worked! That seems to have been the problem.

• That's great, @lenworth! Thanks for following up and letting us know. ❤️

• lenworth
    lenworth
    Community Member

For information if anyone else has a similar problem: If BlockRTC is turned off in NordVPN your public IP address can leak even with the VPN running. I have used the Firefox extension 'WebRTC Control' (also availabe for Chrome and other browsers) to block WebRTC and this works with NordVPN and 1Password X also installed and working perfectly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We're still trying to figure out why this would happen in the first place, but glad that you found a solution -- and that it's here for others to find as well. :)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I also use NordVPN and experience some strange side effects from time to time, although not related to 1Password. Sometimes NordVPN disabled my anti-virus software somehow, then I have to re-enable it manually. Can't explain it but it happens :angry:
    In any way, I'm happy to hear there's a simple solution for the extension. Well done on figuring it out!

This discussion has been closed.