1Password X not prompting to save

I'm a LastPass user that is giving 1Password a shot on the recommendation of a colleague. I use LastPass for my family and I'm currently the tech savvy one. I'm trying to figure out if a behavior I'm seeing is a bug or working as intended.

Assume I do the following:
1. Delete all records of dropbox.com in my vault and at chrome://settings/passwords
2. Go to http://www.buffer.com
3. Enter my email and password manually
4. Click "Sign in"
5. Wait for the logged-in page to load

If I use LastPass or Chrome password storage, I am prompted after (5) to save my password. If I use 1Password, I get a drop-down during (3) but nothing after (5). The drop down works, but is far less intrusive and even I forget to click it before hitting enter.

The only way I sold my partner on LastPass was that its password management was as aggressive as Chrome's. Is there some setting (using the Chrome extension, since my partner is on a Chromebook) that would cause 1Password to also have popups asking to save?

Thanks!

1Password Version: n/a
Extension Version: 1.15.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@LoftyGoals: Thanks for getting in touch! I'm not sure we want 1Password to be known as "aggressive", but that's an interesting way of looking at it. :lol:

1Password X doesn't have autosave prompts at all, because it runs entirely within a single webpage when used, both for simplicity and compatibility. It's possible that may change in the future, but only if we can offer it in a way that improves the experience for everyone. For now this guide will give you a good overview of how 1Password X works, including saving logins:

Get to know 1Password X

However, if you are able to use the native 1Password desktop app/extension (Mac or Windows), that works similarly to what you're asking about, since it runs at the OS level:

Save and fill passwords with 1Password for Mac and Windows

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• Strate
    Strate
    Community Member

@brenty This is not best behavior for 1password X: I should save login BEFORE even tried to login with entered login/password. For example, I can make a mistake when entered login/password, and accidently save wrong password. It would be great to prompt save password right after login detected (like LastPass/Chrome do)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Strate: I'm not sure what the problem is. If you accidentally save the wrong password, you're not losing out on anything: you can save the correct one anyway. Are you having difficulty saving things in 1Password?

And, as I mentioned in my previous comment immediately preceding yours,

the native 1Password desktop app/extension (Mac or Windows), that works similarly to what you're asking about, since it runs at the OS level:

Save and fill passwords with 1Password for Mac and Windows

And, frankly, given the constraints, I'd rather err on the side of saving passwords than not. ;)

• Strate
    Strate
    Community Member

@brenty Yep, native app could help, but on Linux there is only 1Password X.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@Strate – I see! Thanks for letting us know you're on Linux so our other extension isn't an option. As Brenty mentioned, are you having difficulty saving things in 1Password or would you just prefer the functionality for saving a Login be different than the way it is currently?

This discussion has been closed.