1Password won't autofill all fields on San Jose Public Library website

Website is: https://catalog.sjlibrary.org/iii/cas/login

1Password retains - and correctly populates - the "SJPL Barcode" (i.e. identifier) and "PIN" (i.e. password) fields. However, it doesn't seem to want to save the "Your Name" field - and without a string entered here, which matches what is on file for the associated numeric identifier, all attempts to login will fail.

I've tried adding this field to the 1Password Login entry manually, but cannot get it to actually work when autofilling details. I must manually populate this field first, then can autofill to populate the other fields and submit the form. This is quite frustrating.

How can we train 1Password to include this first data field in its saved entry, and populate it when requested?

1Password Version: 6.8.9 (689001)
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: macOS 10.14.4 (18E226)
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password won't autofill all fields on San Jose Public Library website

Comments

• Hiya, @CyborgOne! Could you please try saving a Login manually, following the guide here?

https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/

Let us know how this goes for you. :smile:

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne
    Community Member

Thanks for the response, @ag_mcarlyle !

Actually, that's how I created the login in the first place, after originally encountering issues with automatic saving.

The result for each attempt, however, is that the numeric ID is saved as the "username", and the PIN is saved as the "password" - but the "name" entry doesn't appear visibly on the form (even after such a manual save action), nor is it populated when attempting to login using 1Password.

The odd(er) part: If I "show web form details", I can see that the "name" field is present and saved as a part of this login entry in 1Password. But, it isn't populated on the form, when logging in using 1Password. See the below image for a new example which I just created.

I did note that the "web form" details do not show either the "user" or "password" icon next to that "name" field, however. Perhaps if I manually update this field to include a second "user" icon, this would work as needed? I'll try this next…

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne
    Community Member
    edited May 2019

Hmm…

So, 1Password seems to only allow a single "user" entry (icon) for the web form details. So, changing the "name" field to include it, will remove it from the "code" field. There doesn't appear to be any way to indicate there are two non-password strings which must be populated on this form.

When attempting to auto-populate details after this manual change, it merely places the "name" entry in the "code" field on the page - which is obviously incorrect (note that the PIN = password is correctly populated, in each instance).

(also: Note that the "real" login page apparently hands off to another page for verification: https://catalog.sjlibrary.org/iii/cas/login?service=https://discover.sjlibrary.org:443/iii/encore/j_acegi_cas_security_check&lang=eng&suite=sjpl AND that an equivalent login page can be found here: https://catalog.sjlibrary.org/patroninfo/ )

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne
    Community Member

OK, even stranger: At times, this DOES appear to work (!!??). Some instances of visiting this page result in all three fields being populated - name, code, pin. This is great … but frustratingly inconsistent.

Meaning: I visit the page one time, use 1Password, and it correctly populates all three fields - logging me in correctly (!). But, if I then logout and visit the page once more, and again use 1Password, this time it fails to fill in the third (well, "first" in the order on the page) "name" field, resulting in an invalid login.

I'm assuming that cached data in my browser might have lead to the "successful" login instance - whereas a clean, initial attempt will only populate those 2 fields as shown in the 1Password entry, which does not result in a valid login.

Any other ideas for me? Is there any way of teaching 1Password that there are two non-password text fields which MUST be populated with data (alongside the single password field), in order to result in a valid login?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CyborgOne,

So with my first test (with both 1Password 6 and 1Password 7 for Mac) I found that 1Password did fill all three fields using a Login item saved in the browser. That seems to be consistent with your most recent findings as you're finding it's the sign-in page after logging out where things aren't working. The kicker is that is one state/page I doubt anybody here will be able to reach and test. My guess is the page is subtly different and by that I mean in a way not visible to you or I as the user.

So I don't know that this will work but can you try the following for me please.

1. Save this 1PIF (1Password Interchange Format) file to your Desktop. The file should end in .1pif, if you see .txt please alter the filename accordingly.
    2. Drag the 1PIF file to the 1Password icon in the macOS dock to import into the active vault. If All Vaults is active it will use the default vault for saving (Vaults tab in 1Password's preferences).
    3. Locate the imported item, it will have a tag with the import date.
    4. Enter edit mode and click the Show web form details button.
    5. Replace the placeholder values with your real account credentials.
    6. Save.

It's a slightly modified item. I know it fills the page if I haven't signed in, the version I can reach and there is the possibility it will fill the one you've been having trouble with but only you will be able to test and report back. Let's see if it helps :smile:

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne
    Community Member

This worked like a charm! I updated your imported password entry to include my login credentials, and all tests worked as needed. I even duplicated this entry, and modified these duplicates to supply other credentials (for my wife and son), and these also worked perfectly.

Whatever you tweaked to allow this to work, does appear to have done the trick. The behavior is consistent whether I've recently logged out, or whether it's a fresh browser session (with a cleared cache, etc.)

As such, I'm thrilled to be able to consider this issue as closed. Thank you so much, @littlebobbytables !

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of lil bobby, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

• CyborgOne
    CyborgOne
    Community Member

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

And, yes, lil bobby is a wizard. ;)

This discussion has been closed.