1Password 7 new install on MacBook is defaulting to old 1Password 6 vault and password

lukevan
lukevan
Community Member

I refurbished my MacBook Pro (OS 10.13.6 High Sierra - Late 2011 model) with a new hard drive and installed 1Password 7 (the old hard drive had 1Password 6 but I haven't used it in months and recently upgraded to a 1Password 7 account that I use on all my other devices). After I installed 1Password 7 today it is only recognizing my old 1Password 6 master password and I can see that the vault it is accessing is the old one, which has significantly fewer items than the current vault I use on all other devices. I thought I deleted my old vault after I did the upgrade so I'm not sure why this fresh install sees the old one (although I guess logic says I must not have deleted the old one). I clicked on the top menu bar Vault option in 1Password 7 to check on switching vaults, but everything under the Vault option is grayed out, so I can't switch and then delete the old one if that is the issue.

I'm running 1Password version 7.2.5 downloaded from the Apple App Store. This MacBook is running High Sierra because the processor is too old to support newer versions of the OS. I'm syncing via iCloud. Any suggestions on what I did wrong on the install or how to resolve this? Thanks much.

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lukevan - I'm sorry for the trouble! These two statements cannot both be true:

...recently upgraded to a 1Password 7 account

and

I'm syncing via iCloud.

If you have a 1password.com account/membership, then you are not syncing via iCloud. 1password.com accounts use the 1password.com servers for sync, so if your MacBook Pro is using a standalone vault called Primary and syncing via iCloud, that will be the problem. If you have no data in this older, macOS 10.13 (“High Sierra”) MacBook Pro that you need and is NOT already present in your 1password.com account (viewed on other devices), then you can just start over on the MacBook Pro, and the next time you open 1Password for Mac, sign into your 1password.com account. That should get you the same data everywhere.

If you DO have 1Password data in the vault on your MacBook Pro that's a) needed and b) not already in 1Password on your other devices, let me know.

• lukevan
    lukevan
    Community Member

Thanks for the response Lars. You nailed it. I guess I forgot the Account no longer uses iCloud and selected that when I was installing the app on this new hard drive. The first time I tried to follow the instructions and select Help > Troubleshoot > Reset 1Password Data all the options under Troubleshoot were grayed out. I restarted the App and it let me follow the instructions. I'm all set now. Thanks much.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@lukevan - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.