How should I think about how best to use the desktop app vs. the browser extension vs. the web app?

shunt
shunt
Community Member

Specifically, it seems like I can't create a new vault from the desktop app - I have to log into the web app to do that. What other features are accessible only from the web app? How should I use each of these versions?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:documents

Comments

• Hi @shunt,

That's a great question and I'd be happy to try and help answer it, though some of it really does come down to a matter of preference. Most administrative functions including but not limited to inviting new users, suspending/removing users, adding or removing users to/from vaults, changing the level of access someone has to a vault, editing billing details or viewing invoices, etc would all need to be done in the web interface at present. Most day-to-day functions can be accomplished in the desktop app and/or the extension. The primary purpose of the extension is for saving and filling credentials into web forms, whereas the desktop app can be a powerful editing and organizational tool.

Does that help?

Ben

• shunt
    shunt
    Community Member

That helps, thanks. Is there a way to create a new vault from the desktop app? My coworker was having difficulty from her desktop app. I don't have the desktop version and have been happy using the web app/browser extension. Is there anything I'm missing from not having the desktop version?

• That helps, thanks. Is there a way to create a new vault from the desktop app?

In 1Password for Mac there is, yes: File > New Vault will do it. I'm not personally as familiar with our offering on Windows but if that is what you're using I'd be happy to check with one of my colleagues and find out for you. :)

My coworker was having difficulty from her desktop app. I don't have the desktop version and have been happy using the web app/browser extension. Is there anything I'm missing from not having the desktop version?

The desktop app provides a rich experience that many appreciate but it is not strictly required. I'm having trouble thinking of any functions that can't be accomplished with a combination of the 1Password.com web interface and the 1Password X browser extension. One thing that I appreciate about having 1Password for Mac is the ability to unlock using the Touch ID feature on my Mac, instead of having to type my Master Password, but if you're not using a Touch ID enabled Mac that is probably a moot point.

Ben

• shunt
    shunt
    Community Member

Hi Ben,
    We use Windows, so if you could ask a colleague that would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Sure thing @shunt. I spoke with one of my colleagues and they indicated that at this time 1Password for Windows does not have the ability to create vaults.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.