add sort items by date , modification , ....

Can you add sort items by date, last modification, created,... same as Application ?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni

@Mehran Thanks for your feature request. While we don't have immediate plans to add sorting, this is something we could consider adding in the future. Having said that, I can't make any promises when or if that will happen.

In the meantime, you can use the search bar on the top of the 1Password X pop-up to quickly filter through your items. I realize this might not be ideal, but I hope it helps at least a little bit.

• melvynadam
    melvynadam
    Community Member

Can you do this on the web interface (https://[account].1password.com/vaults/all/allitems/)?
    I really want this info but I'm only accessing my vaults from the web and iOS so I've never even seen this feature. It's been requested many times in the forums - for various platforms. Hopefully we'll see it deployed across all 1Password interfaces soon.

• We do hope to bring sorting to iOS but I haven't heard of any plans for the web interface. I'll be happy to pass the feedback along though.

Ben

• tomsturge
    tomsturge
    Community Member

Sorting logins would be useful to give users the ability to triage old logins that could do with updated.
    For good login health, logins with passwords older than a year should be updated but there isn't an easy way to tell without the desktop app

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @tomsturge! Sorting items in 1Password X is something we're continuing to look at, so thanks for weighing in with your thoughts/wishes. One thing I did want to mention:

For good login health, logins with passwords older than a year should be updated...

They actually shouldn't. Yes, we're aware that this was once common password advice and that some organizations/companies still require this of their employees when it comes to company resources/logins. In 2003, Bill Burr at NIST wrote advice that became gospel which suggested frequent password changes were among best practices to keep logins secure. In 2017, however, Burr himself said

Much of what I did I now regret.

...because essentially, what much of Burr's advice did was urge people to create passwords that were hard for users to remember/use but easy for hackers/automated programs to guess. NIST's own new guidelines explicitly disavow the former 2003-era advice to change passwords frequently.

• tomsturge
    tomsturge
    Community Member

We are talking about a password manager that gives us the ability to generate 64 character random strings that don't and shouldn't be remembered.
    If we were discussing the typical behaviour of changing a password by adding a number or something similarly useless then I agree, that is pointless. I see that problem all the time at work with employees that don't know how to create and store secure passwords and using personal information or repeated passwords for convenience.

With the current era of regular data breaches of big data companies and social media platforms it's more relevant than ever to keep accounts/logins as up to date a possible to avoid potential account compromises from mass account data dumps.

As a password manager supplier it is your foremost goal to facilitate your users in anyway possible. It shouldn't matter if that is refreshing password within a certain time frame helped by the ability to sort logins by last modified or storing the same password for every login.

The desktop app provides this ability and the data is there when viewing individual logins on the web UI so the API is able to support the feature. I would rather that than the regular UI refreshes the team so loves to spend their time on.

• gordcook
    gordcook
    Community Member

@tomsturge, if you’re using strong passwords (which you clearly are), then you don’t need to worry about someone guessing them in your lifetime. When a site is breached, you should be changing that password at your earliest opportunity; and not waiting until some arbitrary time has elapsed before changing it. There is no substance to any of the earlier arguments in favour of routinely changing passwords when you’re using long, strong, and unique passwords.

As a password manager supplier it is your foremost goal to facilitate your users in anyway possible.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The foremost goal for them should be security. As Bruce Schneier has said, “...complexity is the worst enemy of security.” Adding features that only provide marginal benefit to a few users is adding unnecessary complexity, thereby increasing the risk of introducing software bugs, and potentially lowering the overall security of the product. I expect 1Password to carefully choose which features to add to the product and, so far, they have done a great job of that.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tomsturge - I feel like we've gotten a bit afield from the original point of this thread, which was allowing greater sort options within 1Password X. That's something that's definitely still on the radar screen here. I don't have any announcements to share regarding it right at present, but if this were something we'd decided for whatever reason to say "no" to categorically, we'd certainly tell you straightforwardly.

As a password manager supplier it is your foremost goal to facilitate your users in anyway possible.

Regarding the password-change issue and the larger idea of what our job is, I'm with @gordcook on this one. I think, as password manager developers, our foremost goal isn't attempting to "facilitate our users in any way possible" by saying "yes" to every user-request we receive, but to provide our users with excellent security in an interface that's usable and not intimidating to non-technically-adept users. If you saw our overall flow of requests over time, you'd know even trying to do the former would be impossible on its face because often, different users want literally diametrically opposed things. And at this point, our user base is large and diverse enough that there are very few changes/additions we make which do not simultaneously delight some users and annoy others. It's simply part of the fabric of what we do now.

One of the reasons 1Password has gotten to where we are today has been by consistently applying our own judgment and maintaining focus on providing the best password manager we can. That absolutely involves listening to user feedback -- and indeed many of the features and characteristics of 1Password you see today got their start at least in part from suggestions from the user community. But it also means exercising our own judgment about what we think is a good idea, and prioritizing what advances the overall goal the most...some of which is not immediately apparent in the design of the 1Password apps. We feel very fortunate to have one of the more-engaged user communities in all of software, so please keep the suggestions coming, but please don't take it personally if our actions and choices don't map exactly to your wishes and suggestions.

This discussion has been closed.