No 1Password extension exists in Safari after system update

FredV
FredV
Community Member

I lost my Safari extension after updating the operating system on my iMac that uses Sierra version 10.13.6. The update to 1Password was from Apple's app store, but it always fails to install from there. I was able to download and install the current version by logging into my.1password.com account.

The 1Password program currently installed reports I am running Version 7.2.6. The iPassword extension is missing, and I have not been able to restore the extension. When I check the Apple app store for unfinished downloads, it reports that all purchases have been downloaded for this account.

When I run the app 1Password and choose Check for Updates, I get the report that I am up to date, and when I go to the app store, it shows I have no updates available, However when I view my Purchased apps, it shows there IS a 1Password update available, but when I attempt to re-download the update, the update always fails to complete.

My experience on this issue is the same experienced by Samtheman67, except he was able to get the extension restored using the mac app store. I have not been able to do so. Whenever I try to install the 1Password update using the Apple Store, it fails to install.

The 1Password version on the Apple app store shows the last update was the 7.2.5 version, not the current version. The Safari 1Password extension is not shown as available

I've used 1Password for many years. It's possible that many years ago, I downloaded 1Password from your site and not Apple's app store or vice verse.

I subsequently re-downloaded 1Password for Mac from my.1password.com, 'Get the Apps". The program successfully downloaded and the 1Password program displays all my passwords, but the Safari extension remains missing. The extension does exist on the Chrome browser. bit that is not the browser I usually use.

How can I restore the Safari 1Password extension? I have rebooted my Mac several times and the problem continues to exist.

1Password currently installed is:
1Password 7
Version 7.2.6 (70206001)
AgileBits Store

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• FredV
    FredV
    Community Member

I also checked the 1Password preferences for browsers, and both items are checked, Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running and Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@FredV: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the difficulty! With recent versions of macOS and Safari, 1Password is using a new Safari App Extension which is built into the app itself -- so, no separate extension install. Safari is supposed to automatically load this from the app, but you will need to enable it in Safari Preferences > Extensions. If that isn't working for some reason, please try the following:

1. Quit 1Password Completely -- Command Option Control Q
    2. Quit Safari
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Restart your Mac
    5. Install a fresh copy of 1Password from the website: https://1password.com/downloads/
    6. Open 1Password
    7. Open Safari
    8. Go to Preferences > Extensions and enable the 1Password extension there.

Let me know how it goes! :)

• FredV
    FredV
    Community Member

Many thanks. I completed the steps you suggested and then restarted Safari. The extension is now working on Safari and working perfectly.
    Followup question. I also want to update 1Password on my MacBook Air that is running the Mojave, version 10.14.4. Should I follow the steps you provided or simply use the website I used previously which was https://support.1password.com?

• FredV
    FredV
    Community Member

Should I open a new tread for Mohave?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@FredV - no need for a new thread. You should be able to just install as per the instructions at our support page. But if that doesn't work for you on the MacBook air either, feel free to use brenty's more-comprehensive instructions. Let us know if you hit any snags. :)

This discussion has been closed.