iMac synching with Dropbox.Always indicates 'Syncing 4 files' never completes.

tonyros
tonyros
Community Member

iMac synching with Dropbox.Always indicates 'Syncing 4 files' never completes. Does not update 1Password.

1Password Version: 1 Password for Mac 6.8.9
Extension Version: Safari
OS Version: OSX 10.14.4
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros - I'm sorry for the trouble! We've actually got a great guide for troubleshooting Dropbox sync; I'd recommend starting there.

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

Hi Lars
    Thank you for your reply. - Background: I have been using 1 Password since it first appeared, first with windows and then with Apple OS then also IOS and now also Android. My main home is in the UK where I have an iMac and several IOS devices. I also have a home in the USA where I have an iMac, iPad and an android phone. I am there now.
    Following your guide I have looked at my dropbox and am confused. There is a folder called 1Password. In there there is a folder called 1Password.legacyagilekeychain and a file called 1Password.opvault.
    In the folder there are several subfolders. If I click on the opvault file 1Password opens and offers to create a new vault.
    Can you help? I would have no objection to using a different sync method but I use dropbox because it allows me to cover both Apple and Android.
    Regards
    Tony

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros - if you see a file/folder called .legacyagilekeychain, that will be because you upgraded on one of your devices from 1Password 6 to 1Password 7 on one of your devices, likely your Android. Agile Keychain was our sync keychain format for Dropbox and Folder Sync for several years, but although its successor, OPVault, has been around for five years now, we didn't formally retire Agile Keychain until 1Password 7. When you upgraded your 1Password for Android install from version 6 to version 7, it would've renamed your existing Agile Keychain(s) to .legacyagilekeychain and switched you to an .opvault. If you did not then on your other devices switch from the existing Agile Keychain to that OPVault, you would've begun a dual-track sync setup; with Android (at least) syncing with the OPVault and other devices NOT syncing because the older Agile Keychain no longer exists (having been renamed to .legacyagilekeychain).

The way to solve this will be to switch everything over to the OPVault -- on all other devices where you find you're still using the older Agile Keychain, turn syncing off if it's not already off, then turn it back to Dropbox and make sure you choose the OPVault file, instead of any other file OR creating a separate OPVault. You may wind up with some duplicated items, or items for which you need to copy/modify some data between records, depending on how much data you've added/changed since you switched to OPVault on your Android device.

If this sounds complicated to you and you're looking for a simpler and more robust/reliable way to use 1Password, I'd recommend a 1password.com membership. Instead of having to keep track of individual licenses for multiple versions of 1Password on multiple platforms, paying for upgrades, applying license files, setting up, managing and troubleshooting your own 3rd party sync solution via Dropbox or iCloud, a 1password.com membership does all that for you "automagically," and a whole lot more. If you're using all four of our platforms (Mac, Windows, iOS and Android), then two "Pro features" purchases (for both 1Password for iOS and 1Password for Android will be $10 each, and licenses for both 1Password 7 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Windows are $49.99 each at the current discounted pricing (regularly $64.99 each). That's $120, versus $35.88/yr for an individual 1password.com membership that gives you all four of our 1Password apps, including all future upgrades for as long as you maintain the membership. That's well over three years of membership -- during which time I'm sure we'll be releasing new versions of at least some of our apps, which would in turn require new purchases if you go the standalone license route. In short, in your situation in particular, I'd strongly recommend a 1password.com membership. It's easy to get started and switch over to a 1password.com membership; let us know if you have any questions.

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

Thanks Lars.
    I don't use windows at all. If I wanted to make the changes you suggested, how much would it cost and what would be the annual cost?
    My wife has a similar set-up. Would it be cheaper to do the same for her at the same time?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros - if your wife is also a 1Password user, the case becomes even more compelling, because licenses are sold per-person and per-platform, meaning you'd each need one to use 1Password 7 for Mac. But on the membership side, we have 1Password Families, which is specifically designed for folks in your situation. A 1Password Families membership gives you both access to all our apps so no matter what configuration of devices you have, you just install the appropriate app at no extra charge, sign into your account, and you're done. It allows up to five people, and each person gets their own Private vault, plus access to the family-wide Shared vault, where you can put items you both use, like the family Netflix password, bank or credit card accounts, etc. A 1Password Families account costs $59.88 (if paid annually), and you can take one for a 30-day test-drive, free of charge. :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

OK. Sounds like a good idea. Would someone be able to talk me through purchase and switching from our current setup?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros - if, by "talk," you mean on the telephone, then no: we don't have telephone support for 1Password. What we DO have is a pretty extensive library of support documentation, including ones specifically designed to assist you in migrating your data, like the one I linked in my earlier reply. We also have email support if you run into any trouble or want to ask questions that are less general and more specific to your individual situation; we try to keep users' personally-identifying details off this public forum, so if your questions are pertaining to your unique setup, please write to support@1password.com and one of the team will be happy to assist.

In general, to switch to a 1password.com account (any type of account), you should visit the main sign-up page and follow the instructions to get your 1Password Families account set up, then invite your family members. Each of you would then want to migrate your data from existing standalone vault(s) into either your Private or the family-wide Shared vault, and once that's done, syncing and sharing happen automatically. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I did as you suggested but I can't get started as there is no indication how to import my own data.

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I have made a little progress butI now have iPassword7 on my iMac. I have 2 vaults on it One is primary (On my Mac) and the other is Fl16-05-19 on Dropbox. I need to combine these two vaults and get them onto all my devices. Can you point me to this information?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I did as you suggested but I can't get started as there is no indication how to import my own data.

@tonyros: What do you mean? What are you trying to "import"?

I have made a little progress butI now have iPassword7 on my iMac. I have 2 vaults on it One is primary (On my Mac) and the other is Fl16-05-19 on Dropbox. I need to combine these two vaults and get them onto all my devices. Can you point me to this information?

You can move any items you need from one vault into the other, and then remove the extra vault.

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I have a vault on Dropbox. I would like to merge that with my Primary vault

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros: I understood that part. Did you try moving the data over? :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

No. I hadn't come across that possibility. There are a lot of them but that will do. Please can you clarify the status of a vault that is 'On my MAC'. As it is in a 1Password.com account is it also held in the cloud. I assume it must be for the other devices in the account to be able to access it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No. I hadn't come across that possibility. There are a lot of them but that will do.

@tonyros: I ask because I suggested it in my previous replies. If it helps, you can select multiple items and move them all at once. :)

Please can you clarify the status of a vault that is 'On my MAC'. As it is in a 1Password.com account is it also held in the cloud. I assume it must be for the other devices in the account to be able to access it.

Vaults listed as "On my Mac" exist locally on the computer, not in a 1Password.com account. When you sign into your 1Password.com account in the app, that and any vaults within it will be listed at the top of the vault list:

With any local ("On my Mac") vaults at the bottom. "Primary" is a local vault, whereas if you see "Personal" or "Private", those will be part of the 1Password.com account.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I am puzzled. I understood that having an account did away with the need to sync through dropbox.Where should I put a vault that I want to access from all my devices?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros: That's correct, but you'd need to move your data to the account in order for it to be accessible there. It was my understanding that you were trying to get all of your data together in order to do just that. Where do you have everything currently?

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I now have all my Data in the Primary vault which is on my Mac

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

where should I move the Data, and how?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tonyros: Awesome, thanks! :)

You didn't mention if you've signed into your 1Password.com account in the app yet. If you have, do that first:

How to add your 1Password account to the apps

Then you can migrate your data to your account nay switching to the Personal/Private vault first, and then going to Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account.

Then disable the "local vaults" option in 1Password Preferences > Advanced, and you should be all set. Let me know how it goes. :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

That worked like a dream! Many thanks. is there anywhere on your web-site where you describe the different Vaults? it would have been useful.
    Regards
    Tony

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2019

@tonyros: Glad that helped! Thanks for the update. :chuffed:

The only specific vault(s) 1Password accounts use are Shared, which is a default vault accessible to anyone who is part of a group (family, team, business) plan; and Personal/Private, which are really the same thing: a vault which only you ever have access to (each 1Password account will have its own). "Private" is used in group memberships, and "Personal" is what we call it in an individual membership (since "Private" doesn't make sense: everything will be private no matter what when using 1Password alone!)

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

I have now completed the change on my iMac and mobile devices to a 1Password family account in the USA. My iMac in the UK when I left was running 1Password 6 through Dropbox. I assume that when I get back I should delete it and install 1Password 7. Is there anything I should beware of before doing this? Please can you confirm that the master copy of my data is held on your servers.
    Regards Tony

• Hi @tonyros

Yes, when you get back to the Mac in the UK you should install 1Password 7 for Mac and then follow these instructions:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Please can you confirm that the master copy of my data is held on your servers.

You can verify this by logging in at https://my.1password.com/ and viewing your data there. If all of your data is accessible there then you are all set in that regard. Two clean-up items I'd recommend are:

• Make sure you've printed a hard copy of your Emergency Kit: Get to know your Emergency Kit
    • Double check that none of your devices have a vault named "Primary" on them — if they do, it should be deleted (after verifying all of your data is on my.1password.com)

Thanks!

Ben

• tonyros
    tonyros
    Community Member

Thank you Ben

• You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.