2FA Active flag

laulley
laulley
Community Member

I'm a long time user of 1Password and currently still in the trial period of having an online account. Since I'm working on 1Password today I'm going through my Watchtower items and cleaning house. There is a category Inactive 2FA under Watchtower. Is there some way to identify which accounts have 2FA activated? I'm thinking it could be handy if I'm thinking of switching to 1Password 2FA, and also for consideration before traveling out of the country.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 & 1password.com
Extension Version: 7.2.6
OS Version: Mojave 10.14.4
Sync Type: 1password.com

Comments

• 1Password can only tell you have 2FA active if you've saved your one-time password in 1Password itself, @laulley. In order to determine if you've got SMS 2FA (for example), we'd need to be able to sign into your account for that site and check your settings. That would be not only an invasion of privacy, but a pretty serious security risk, so we have to leave it up to you to identify those sites.

Personally, I use 1Password for 2FA nearly universally, but for those where it isn't an option, I add a tag with the type of 2FA used to the Login item for that site. My bank, for example, only offers e-mail verification (gross), so I have a 2FA - Email tag on that item. Those that only allow SMS have 2FA - SMS, those with app support (but perhaps not the right support for 1Password) include the app so 2FA - Authy, for example. I find this handy as I often forget where to snag 2FA codes that aren't in 1Password. Plus, it helps me monitor those that don't have an option I'm happy with. SMS 2FA stinks, for one, so I'll go through the sites with that tag frequently to see if they've introduced support for anything better.

One thing to be aware of is that if you add just a 2FA tag, that's a signal to 1Password that you've set up 2FA outside 1Password. This means Watchtower will stop alerting you that 2FA is inactive for that site. You may want to do this for sites where you have set up 2FA elsewhere, but just in case you want to keep those warnings around as a reminder to revisit those items down the road, I figured it's best to let you know. :chuffed:

• laulley
    laulley
    Community Member

Thank you so much for clarifying a bunch of things for me! I'm going on an extended trip Aug/Sept and already starting to worry about not being able to get my authentication codes while out of the country. I'm trying to get things set up as cleanly/correctly as possible. I'll definitely use your naming convention. And I'll remove the tag that I've already added for 2FA.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad Kate was able to help, and we're here if you have any other questions. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.