v7 Updates

Options
salv0
salv0
Community Member

Updates are no longer in preferences. Where/How do I manage 1Password updates?

1Password Version: 7.2.5
Extension Version: 1.15.1
OS Version: 10.14.4
Sync Type: Family

Comments

• peacekeeper
    peacekeeper
    Community Member
    Options

If you downloaded it from the App Store updates are managed from the App Store. What does it say under Infos in the menu-bar?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @salv0!

As peackeeper suggested, if you don't see the Updates tab, I suspect you downloaded 1Password from the Mac App Store. If this is the case, you can update 1Password from there, the same way you update your other Mac apps :)

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    Options

I've acquired all of my versions from Agilebits. (?) From the About panel:

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.5 (70205002)
    AgileBits Store

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @salv0. That's strange. I'm definitely seeing an updates tab in the preferences window on that version:

I'm not aware of any conditions under which that wouldn't be available to you. Do you see a "Check for Updates" option under the 1Password menu in the menu bar?

Please let me know.

Ben

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

I just realized, Ben, that I do have your illustrations on my Sierra host (MacMini7,1), but not on my recently purchased Mojave host (MacPro6,1). The former was an upgrade from v6. The latter was a fresh install of v7.2.5:

I think I found the issue. The About panel on the Mojave indicates 'Mac App Store', but that is all wrong. It's not my practice to acquire one copy of an app through one channel and another through a different channel. I transferred this license from my dying MacPro5,1 to this MacPro6,1; that license was originally purchased from "Agile Web Solutions" on 2009-11-23. Additionally, the Apple Store does not display 1Password among the apps I have purchased from Apple. (?)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@salv0 - yep, that'll do it, every time. :) Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac has no in-app updates feature/preference, as updates are handled directly by Apple just like other Mac App Store-obtained software.

A license from us dated 2009 would have been for 1Password 3 for Mac, four versions ago, and definitely wouldn't work to license the current 1Password 7 for Mac. I can't say what steps you may have taken, but if the 'About' menu says your copy is from the Mac App Store, then that's not wrong; they are different apps; the version from our downloads page is hard-coded to say so; it can't just randomly claim to be from the Mac App Store and remove the updates features.

However, this is easily-enough solved, if you want our version instead: just Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then delete the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Visit our downloads page and grab the installer for the current version (7.2.6), then run it. All your data from the Mac App Store version will be right where you left it, and the Updates panel of 1Password's Preferences should be restored. Your data may be in Read Only mode if you don't have either a standalone license for version 7 or a 1password.com membership, but either of those can be remedied. Let us know if you have any questions! :)

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, Lars, regarding version 7.2.6. I'm good to go. You missed my point: I've been using 1Password since v3, and it's been smooth going until v7.

How I ended up with an Apple flavor is beyond me -- I avoid Apple flavors. Apple Store does not indicate that I purchased 1Password 7. Very confusing and not helpful. I suspect the Apple-Agilebits dynamic is at the heart of my confusion and diminished product perception.

< ... it's been slowly going downhill since OpenStep ... >

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @salv0,

It's great to hear that you managed to download the correct version and that things are working as expected now. If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, this story is not over yet. This Late 2013 Mac Pro has three profiles: 1 Administrator and 2 Users. All three profiles launch '/Applications/1Password 7.app'. The two users indicate '1Password Store' in the About panel, while the administrator profile indicates 'Mac App Store'. How can the same application object produce different behavior across profiles on the same host? If the answer is what Lars gave earlier, to delete the application object and download its replacement from the '1Password Store', then I get the impression that the distinction is not with the object but with the profile.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@salv0 - I can't say without taking a closer look, but I'd recommend doing a search for 1Password 7 in Spotlight in your "Administrator" macOS account, and see what you discover. I understand why you might think the way you do based on what you described, but it just isn't possible that the same app, say 1Password 7.app in your /Applications folder, would show in the About menu as being from us in one macOS account, but showing as a Mac App Store app in another. My suspicion is that you've got two versions of 1Password installed, perhaps in different locations. Let us know what you discover.

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    Options

All three profiles find only a single instance of '1Password 7.app', and that instance resides in /Applications. Now, I see that one of the user profiles (mine) has reverted to 'Mac App Store' . This gives me an idea for better understanding.

My user profile and the administrator profile (I administer the host) use the same Apple ID to access the App Store. The other user profile (my wife's) uses her Apple ID to access the App Store, because some of her apps also exist on her iPad and iPhone (whereas I go with Android). Her App Store shows that '1Password 7' is available to "Open" -- good luck finding a way to get the App Store to unGet an app ; when I "Open" '1Password 7' from her App Store, '1Password 7' is a '1Password Store' instance -- try to explain that oddity. I have a feeling that Apple produces their own kind of "magic" using forks (source and data). I fear that ultimately, because of their kludgy App Store behavior, all profiles end up as 'Mac App Store' and leaves the impression that the app source, be it '1Password Store' or 'Mac App Store', is profile specific.

Since the App Store is glued to /Applications, thanks to Apple's rigid frame of mind, I think I must resort to installing '1Password Store' instances in ~/Applications for each profile, or in my own fabricated /Apps folder to avoid App Store's "forking" fingers. It's kludgy, no thanks to Apple, and no reflection on Agilebits. Given all this "madness", maybe you'll "get" something out of all of this, Lars, but I cannot expect you to know what to do about something that originates from Apple's unfathomable intentions.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited October 2019
    Options

Installing 1Password in a location other than /Applications will cause undesirable results, including (most likely) the browser extensions not working at all. It really needs to be installed to /Applications, along with your browsers, in order to have code signing verification work properly.

I wonder if perhaps your wife used the "more extensions" option in Safari to try and install the 1Password extension in her user account? The "more extensions" link within Safari is just a link to install apps from the App Store. Attempting to do so with 1Password can amplify problems especially if 1Password is already installed from our website. I wrote about this problem here:

Troubleshooting the 1Password extension in Safari

Ben

• salv0
    salv0
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for pointing out the /Applications hard coding <yikes!>, Ben. I'll leave well enough alone.

The Safari extension may be at the root of my problem. It explains an implicit Get from the App Store that I did not explicitly ask for, and could not recall ever wanting to do (see my "Thank you, Lars..." posting above); so, I (not my wife) may have used "more extensions" (I don't recall). This is so egregious of Apple, that I am prepared to forego the convenience of a 1Password extension on their browser (Firefox is our primary browser anyway ).

I have confirmed something that you might not be aware of. When earlier Today I discovered that my user profile crossed over to the 'Mac App Store' source, I suspected that it came from my administrator profile while it was in '1Password 7' preferences and I had opened '1Password 7' preferences while in my user profile session. To test/confirm this, while in my administrator profile session, I opened preferences. Then, I switched over to my wife's user profile, launched '1Password 7', confirmed that it was still '1Password Store', then opened and closed preferences. Finally, I logged everything out and rebooted. Now, my wife's profile shows 'Mac App Store'. With all of this grief, Safari conveniences are just not worth it .

Thank you Lars and Ben for hearing/helping me out towards getting my feet back on solid ground <without Apple's "help">.

• Ben
    Options

@salv0

You're very welcome. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.